British Speedway Forum
miro

Swedish Newspaper Poll 150

and that was the top 150.

I probably only recognised about 8-10 of the names, but Sweden has a lot of winter sports celebrities I woudnt know

noticed there was a Soren Nordin, wondered whether they meant Soren Sjosten or Gote Nordin lol.

A UK top 150 would be full of footballers, cricketers, rugby, boxing, swimming and athletics. Motor sports forgot about.

I probably only recognised about 8-10 of the names, but Sweden has a lot of winter sports celebrities I woudnt know

noticed there was a Soren Nordin, wondered whether they meant Soren Sjosten or Gote Nordin lol.

A UK top 150 would be full of footballers, cricketers, rugby, boxing, swimming and athletics. Motor sports forgot about.

I Don't think so ...F1 drivers would be right near the top as unlike Speedway it's popular with the public as shown by the sports awards last sunday

I disagree. Many F1 drivers would get in the list, as would Colin McRae, Barry Sheen etc. No speedway rider has come anywhere close to the profile of those.

• Like 1

I disagree. Many F1 drivers would get in the list, as would Colin McRae, Barry Sheen etc. No speedway rider has come anywhere close to the profile of those.

Possibly Peter Collins might get a mention?

• Like 1

Possibly Peter Collins might get a mention?

I would have thought so.

Surprised that Ove Fundin didn't get in the top 150 Swedes, there are some pretty mediocre footballers on that list.

A similar poll in NZ I would imagine would see both Barry Briiggs and Ivan Maugermake the list, Ronnie Moore is probably also deserving but doesn't have the same profile, I'd be surprised if too many of the NZ public knew about his achievements.

• Like 3

I would have thought so.

Surprised that Ove Fundin didn't get in the top 150 Swedes, there are some pretty mediocre footballers on that list.

A similar poll in NZ I would imagine would see both Barry Briiggs and Ivan Maugermake the list, Ronnie Moore is probably also deserving but doesn't have the same profile, I'd be surprised if too many of the NZ public knew about his achievements.

...or even who Ronnie Moore is.

One would think that any sportsman/woman who had won a World title in any sport would make their country's top 150. On that basis not only Fundin but Knutsson should be there. I have not seen the list but would expect it to be dominated by skiers.

• Like 1

I would have thought so.

He did actually spend about six seasons at the height of his career riding in NZ and not riding here, Briggo and Ivan certainly didn't. One has to wonder if Mr Bunyan (the great adoptee) might get a mention ;-)

He did actually spend about six seasons at the height of his career riding in NZ and not riding here, Briggo and Ivan certainly didn't. One has to wonder if Mr Bunyan (the great adoptee) might get a mention ;-)

I expect more people in New Zealand are familiar with Barry Butterworth than the other speedway personalities mentioned in this thread? :wink:

I've never heard of barry butterworth (had to google hom), doubt most kiwis have. Suspect most would wonder if brad butterworth was who you were referring to.

Mauger and briggs are still names familiar to most kiwis over the age of say 35.

I expect more people in New Zealand are familiar with Barry Butterworth than the other speedway personalities mentioned in this thread? :wink:

I've never heard of barry butterworth (had to google hom), doubt most kiwis have. Suspect most would wonder if brad butterworth was who you were referring to.

Mauger and briggs are still names familiar to most kiwis over the age of say 35.

Barry Butterworth is in New Zealand terms a speedway legend. http://barrybutterworthracing.com/

Barry Butterworth is also listed in this New Zealand Speedway Hall of Fame. http://www.historicspeedway.co.nz/new_zealand_speedway_hall_of_fam.htm

Edited by Guest

Yes. But my point is I am a kiwi interested in sport and I had never heard of him, and I doubt most kiwis have. This was response to your suggestion that more would have heard of him than briggs and mauger - which frankly is nonsense.

briggs and mauger still get mentioned when all time great nz sportspeople are discussed, as I say I have never heard barry butterworths name mentioned.

Edited by waihekeaces1
  • Like 1

Yes. But my point is I am a kiwi interested in sport and I had never heard of him, and I doubt most kiwis have. This was response to your suggestion that more would have heard of him than briggs and mauger - which frankly is nonsense.

briggs and mauger still get mentioned when all time great nz sportspeople are discussed, as I say I have never heard barry butterworths name mentioned.

They seem to have heard about Barry Butterworth at Western Springs! :approve:

http://www.kiwimotoring.com/events/view/western-springs-speedway-barry-butterworth-midget-feature

....and this is more about Barry Butterworth.

https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/barry-butterworth/

What view do you have on the NZ Hallo Fame citation for Barry Butterworth? It does say something about him being one of NZ speedway's greats....

http://www.historicspeedway.co.nz/new_zealand_speedway_hall_of_fam.htm

Edited by Guest

You are still missing the point. The average kiwi is unlikely to know the name. The fact that people that closely follow his sport will know of him is irrelevant to that point.