British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tenbears

Rooboys Boomerang Invitational

It is never my intention to be critical or personal with people who are prepared to have a go. But like you I don't think Matt Black does anything to complement any meeting. To be a commentator is an art, and only a few people can do the job correctly. There's no need to shout in the mike it's the way things are said that generate a response. Mike Bennett was first class, and last night he was just as good.

Obviously knowledge of the sport is important, but not as much as being confident in the persona that you project. You need to generate excitement with the fans with what you say and they have to relate to you and your sense of humour. You need that connection...

Last night, The commentator had that connection immediately, Matt Black has been doing the job now for over a year, and as of yet, hasn't made that connection....

• Like 1

I'd definitely prefer Kevin Moore who has been a huge speedway fan for as long as I can remember, failing that the guy who was at Eastbourne doesn't now do Eastbourne, he's pretty good if he was available.

Ideally we need a speedway presenter not a stock car presenter on the mike last night showed how clueless the regular man is - we've never replaced Mike Bennett - I'm not saying it's easy job but someone with Knowledge of the sport is a starter

I don't suppose Peter York is available is he? :wink:

• Like 2

It's so refreshing to see everyone applauding a Speedway meeting. Well done to Rory and those involved. I hope you raised lots of money :approve:

Maybe he'll consider becoming a promoter when he retires? ;)

• Like 1

I don't suppose Peter York is available is he? :wink:

even he'd be better than the stock car man at least he knows the sport.

even he'd be better than the stock car man at least he knows the sport.

If you like casual racist and 1980s style humour then he's your man! He will be able to tell you about the career of obscure riders from the 80s too. Just don't expect him to get riders names right. I'm sure the only reason Coventry didnt sign Nicolai Klindt recently is because Peter York is insistent his name is Nicolai Kling!

Agree with everything 'Starlady' has mentioned. Rooboy went all out on the entertainment side and it certainly worked. Really hope more clubs now realise that little things just make the meeting more enjoyable. The start line lights and fire was something that can easily been done, and worked superbly. The meeting was ran very slick and even the interval didn't seem long! Track was spot on, the racing was great with plenty of close action. Great to see the young lads getting some laps in too, seems there much more of a push for the youngsters this year which is good to see.

Got to say the commentator was great, really made the meeting better. Very informative, entertaining and kept the night interesting with the commentary through the racing. If there enough guys good enough to do this then it's also something that should be done.

The timed laps was another good addition and sprung up some surprises.. Didn't think anyone would be able to touch NKI before they got going!

There's loads more that could be put but I haven't got the time to write it all! So pleased for Rory though.. Great night, good crowd (1500-2000?) and cracking nights racing!

Bring on Ricky's BIG day on Sunday, should be another good day!

• Like 2

Will echo what's been said before, really enjoyed the meeting. Rory had clearly thought about what he wanted and delivered on it. Sounds like he may have other irons in the fire as well judging by his comments.

The only downside for me was that the sound system on the 3rd/4th bend was prety much inaudible so the benefit of Wade's commentary was lost down our end. Would much prefer it if they had used the stadium PA system but can understand why Rory went his own way.

Thought the racing was pretty competitive for a season opener and of course good to see the three Stars finish in the top four. Great start to our 50th year.