British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Social Media For Speedway Teams

Interesting article about the following of Polish Ekstraliga teams on Social Media, along with some eye opening stats here - http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/489749/raport-sportowefaktypl-kluby-ekstraligi-w-social-media/7

Are there lessons to be learned here? To put things into comparison, GoSpeed International Ltd claim copyright to all media so forcibly prevent any "official" video from going onto YouTube, or any "official" photos from going onto photo sites like Instagram, Flickr etc. YouTube and Instagram therefore may be difficult for British teams to emulate. Facebook and Twitter though, British teams should be right up there with their "likes", "shares", "friends" and "followers" shouldn't they?

Which teams in this country are most effective at using Social Media for raising their profile, public awareness and interest stimulation?

Should there be a rethink about the distribution of photos and videos on YouTube, Instagram, Flickr etc? Would that be in the best interests of British Speedway for that to happen?

Edited by uk martin

@NLSPEEDWAY is da dogs, always has da news after its bin announced :t::t::t::t::t:

@NLSPEEDWAY is da dogs, always has da news after its bin announced :t::t::t::t::t:

I'm guessing from the thumbs up that you approve??

I think they do participate Martin, just not enough. I think most of the energy goes into "getting the speedway on" and the daily running of the sport.

Perhaps UK speedway clubs need a more proffessional organisational structure giving people specific roles. But, with so much work to do and so little money coming in, money is spent on riders and rent before any salaried position can be considered.

You only have to look at successful companies and they remain successful while at the front of the consumers mind. Once they drop off the radar, next time you hear about them, is when they are in trouble.

• Like 1

Totally agree that clubs individually and collectively are missing out big time as a result of the restrictive practices.

To attract a new/younger potential audience every avenue should be used.

Social media is a bit like preaching to the converted, especially for a sport like speedway.

The only people who will follow speedway clubs on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or search for speedway videos on YouTube are people already familiar with the sport.

Yes, it can be used to re-connect with lost fans, and I think e-newletters are a far more effective way of doing that, but it isn't going to attain mass appeal.

If speedway wants to reach a much wider audience it needs a more grass roots approach.

There are plenty of plans in motion for 2015.

Like the .co domain names?

I can hardly wait!

• Like 1

Berwick's e-Newsletter is the best example I've seen of a British club getting the best out of electronic media.

Keeping it secretive so the rest of us can't read it? Silly idea. Edited by SCB

Don't get me started! Far too much self interest and too many cliques for the average person to help take thier club forward!

• Like 4

Keeping it secretive so the rest of us can't read it? Silly idea.

It's always been the same a secret society.

Berwick's e-Newsletter is the best example I've seen of a British club getting the best out of electronic media.

...I think e-newletters are a far more effective way of doing that...

The problem with e-newsletters as I found out from Birmingham's experience is that "the establishment" don't like clubs using them. Birmingham had all it's "@birminghambrummies.co" e-mail facilities blocked during the Philips regime because the volume of e-mail traffic that the Commercial Department was putting out in order to promote the club was in danger of being identified as "SPAM" and therefore black-balling the BSPA server, causing everyone in British Speedway to be affected. You'll notice that Berwick can produce their e-Newsletters because they run an independent web site and are in control of their own e-mail deliveries free of interferance from "the establishment".

Edited by uk martin
  • Like 1

Keeping it secretive so the rest of us can't read it? Silly idea.

Bollocks! Anyone can receive Berwick's e-Newsletter.

Go to their website, enter your e-mail address and click. You go on their list, and receive every issue of the Newsletter from there on in, absolutely free.

Quiet in close season, maybe only two or three issues per month, but up to three or four every week of the season.

Secretive my pretty backside.........

Edited by crescent girl
  • Like 6