British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Bspa Meeting With Ukv&i?

Isn't it the case the authorities have no interest in a rider's average if he meets certain requirements (state or national title, etc) but that they require he should maintain his entry standard before any renewal after a couple of seasons?

The 5, up to 7 at AGM, back to 5 afterwards, now still currently under discussion, etc, all stemmed from BSPA MC moving goalposts all over the pitch this winter.

Had Edinburgh (only for instance) wanted to bring in Max Fricke, Aaron Fox or whoever this year rather than 2013 or 2014, would there have been all this fuss?

Edited by smod

Tier 2.

If thats the case then it could mean the end of the road for new Aussies depending on how they define an elite sportsperson. Now I havent read the entire legal document, but the overview taken from

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-sportsperson-worker-visa/overview

says the following:

1. Overview

You can apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa if all of the following apply:

• you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach recognised by your sport’s governing body as internationally established at the highest level
  • your sport’s governing body is endorsing your application
  • your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level
  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements

Surely the UKBA should determine who should/should not be allowed to compete in UK speedway. The riders average is an internal & unique to speedway toll that in theory allow teams to be evenly matched, therefore nothing to do with UKBA but with the BSPA itself.

I think UKBA (or whatever they're now called) are basiclaly saying, if you're, "internationally established at the highest level" (as per the work permit regs) then a 7 point PL average shouldn't be an issue should it?

I think UKBA (or whatever they're now called) are basiclaly saying, if you're, "internationally established at the highest level" (as per the work permit regs) then a 7 point PL average shouldn't be an issue should it?

UKBA; United Kingdom Border Agency, I have had dealings with them in the past, not succesfully i might add, If the BSPA mess them around, i can see this ending badly for none internationally established riders, especially if British riders are without a Team spot, which incidentally has been the case for many a year now. I have an idea that one of the criteria that is being talked about is that before a visa is issued, every effort must have been made to have signed up a British rider before a visa is issued, if thats the case then it could be good from the perspective of young British riders.

Edited by greyhoundp

I think UKBA (or whatever they're now called)...

The UKBA was abolished in 2013 and the relevant department is now known as UK Visas & Immigration.

• Like 2

UKBA; United Kingdom Border Agency, I have had dealings with them in the past, not succesfully i might add, If the BSPA mess them around, i can see this ending badly for none internationally established riders, especially if British riders are without a Team spot, which incidentally has been the case for many a year now. I have an idea that one of the criteria that is being talked about is that before a visa is issued, every effort must have been made to have signed up a British rider before a visa is issued, if thats the case then it could be good from the perspective of young British riders.

If the criteria is enforced for this Tier 2 visa, its difficult to see and Aussie newcomer being granted a visa.

anyone know if basketball and ice hockey have similar issues??

presume they must as the law is the law...??

they do all seem to have Yanks and Canadians, however they are certainly not 'elite' as they would be playing in their own countries surely??

to be honest its a shame that the same doesn't apply for many European riders, ie the many journeymen who arrive through a revolving door and apply their trade in the PL taking the opportunity away for a Brit to improve his career whilst never getting any better themselves....

still 'rules are rules' let's hope that promoters look to fill any void with British lads rather than more 5 point (at best) European non entities...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

anyone know if basketball and ice hockey have similar issues??

presume they must as the law is the law...??

they do all seem to have Yanks and Canadians, however they are certainly not 'elite' as they would be playing in their own countries surely??

to be honest its a shame that the same doesn't apply for many European riders, ie the many journeymen who arrive through a revolving door and apply their trade in the PL taking the opportunity away for a Brit to improve his career whilst never getting any better themselves....

still 'rules are rules' let's hope that promoters look to fill any void with British lads rather than more 5 point (at best) European non entities...

Knowing Ice Hockey, The imports may not be Elite World players, but they are in respect to ours and in fact, like speedway, they don't have enough home riders to stock the leagues, so they are not taking a Brits place.

Have just had a friend on the phone telling me, he is reading various riders facebook comments and it looks like all aussie and american riders have been refused permits!

Speedway is in serious truble if thats the case.

If they are being refused then in my book that's a good thing and I support the stance of immigration officials. Taking the quote above "elite sportsperson / internationally established at the highest level". With all due respect to the riders mentioned, I woukd not class them as fitting thus criteria.

If they were either GP riders or even featured in SWC the previous year, I woukd say yes.

If they are being refused then in my book that's a good thing and I support the stance of immigration officials. Taking the quote above "elite sportsperson / internationally established at the highest level". With all due respect to the riders mentioned, I woukd not class them as fitting thus criteria.

If they were either GP riders or even featured in SWC the previous year, I woukd say yes.

Thats all well and good but there are not enough riders to fill the places if the rumour is true that over 20 riders may be affected
  • Like 3