British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigbadbuster

New To Speedway Help Please

Hello I'm new to here and riding speedway I've ridden speedway propley once but spend a lot of time on a trials bike getting the movement on bike(chin over bars legs etc) but would love to get a bike and do it propley

Any tips for a new speedway bike owner? I have kit etc

And What size is a 15 year old allowed to ride? 125 250 500 im not scared of power so that's not the problem but I would want to race so what's the age limits?

Sorry if in wrong place

Thanks

Edited by Iridebikes

You can ride a 500cc bike at 15. You don't say if you have a bike or not? If not, the best thing is to go to Wayne Carter's training school at Scunthorpe, and have him show you the basics on the mini-track with a hired bike. After that, if you buy a bike, there are training schools at Scunthorpe, Rye House, Peterborough etc: see the tracks' web sites. You can hire 500cc bikes but it is expensive.

• Like 1

Hello I'm new to here and riding speedway I've ridden speedway propley once but spend a lot of time on a trials bike getting the movement on bike(chin over bars legs etc) but would love to get a bike and do it propley

Any tips for a new speedway bike owner? I have kit etc

And What size is a 15 year old allowed to ride? 125 250 500 im not scared of power so that's not the problem but I would want to race so what's the age limits?

Sorry if in wrong place

Thanks, tom

http://www.scbgb.co.uk/training This might be of help to you.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=12

Andy Meredith also does training schools at Scunthorpe and Buxton and hires both 125cc and 500cc bikes.

If you go onto the Training Tracks/Amateur section you will find dates and contact numbers for both Andy's training days and the Scunthorpe training days.

Most of the training schools put their information on there. It depends on where you live and how far you are prepared to travel as to which track you decide to go to.

Hope this helps

Edited by Heather12

Also, try Facebook/Scunthorpe Amateur Speedway. There is plenty of information about training on this (They seem to have stopped using this forum).

Thanks to all

im also wondering what special tools would be needed part from clutch tool and what parts are most likely to break such as chain guard, seat bracket and if so how long roughly would they last?

You don't need that many special tools for day to day work on the bikes. A decent toolkit with sockets, spanners and allen keys will do most of the work. The clutch tool is quite cheap to buy but people have made them from wide screwdrivers or chisels. One tool you may need is a clutch basket holding tool, this can be made from an old alloy plate, bolts and some bar or box section metal to form a handle. You only need this when removing the clutch basket to change the bearing in it or the countershaft bearings.

Depending on the carb on the bike you may need a setting gauge and dial to get the settings correct, ideally for a first bike a simpler carb like a Finn Jensen would be ideal as these only require simple maintenance unlike Blixt which require more stripping and the special setting gauge.

As for parts breaking it depends how often and how hard you come off! Primary chain guards are prone to damage as the bike normally comes down on that side and slides along it. A lot of stuff bends before it breaks like rear pushbars which can be persuaded back straight. If the frame or forks get damaged these can be stripped off the bike and usually straightened. I have seen some properly banana shaped bikes that have been straightened. This can be done at places like JHR in Swadlincote near Derby. You can go a whole season without breaking anything but you can go event to event and break something similar to trials really!

Edited by rcgods

Also, try Facebook/Scunthorpe Amateur Speedway. There is plenty of information about training on this (They seem to have stopped using this forum).

ask on FRIENDS OF SCUNTHORPE SPEEDWAY on facebook, someone on there will provide all the info