British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

Exeter 1984

As the result of a request in another topic I've compiled the Falcons' heat details for their ill-fated British League soujourn in 1984. As usual there are a number of things that require clarification if anyone can oblige (updated 17/4/15):

10/06 at Eastbourne: Eagles #8

18/06 at Wolverhampton: Exeter #8 (possibly noted in Exeter programme stats?)

23/06 at Halifax Ht 5: reason for Baker's exclusion. Reported as (exc) but he was replaced.

27/07 v Coventry: Bees #8

08/09 at Swindon: Robins #8

1984 saw the introduction of a fabbo new competition designed to bring on the youngsters called the National Junior Knockout Cup. And the Imps (sadly rejecting the opportunity to track as the Exeter Eyasses) went and won the thing. Reporting is sketchy at best - to hope for heat details is perhaps a bit much but I'll take them if you've got them and information that can fill out what I know from Speedway Star and some searching online:

Round 1 v Poole: Have full details of 2nd leg at Exeter on 14/07. Confirmed 1st leg date at Poole on 17/06 and result. 1st leg heat details required.

Quarter Final v Wimbledon: Both legs confirmed with heat details.

Semi-final v Ipswich: Have full details of 1st leg at Exeter on 12/10. Confirmed 2nd leg date at Foxhall 18/10 and result. 2nd leg heat details required.

Final v Milton Keynes: Dates and results confirmed, have full details of 2nd leg. 1st leg heat details at MK required.

There was a junior 4TT at Reading on Monday 3rd September, other sides were Weymouth and Swindon. Result and scorers now known. Heat 1 reason for Chessell exclusion and Heats 7 & 11 times also required.

The finished file will of course be available to all and sundry, it's not just a private project.

Edited by daveallan81

15/06 Devon Pairs Trophy

01 Phil Crump

02 Stefan Deser

03 Andy Campbell

04 Leif Wahlman

05 Ivan Mauger

06 Sean Willmott

07 Neil Evitts

08 Marcus Bisson

09 Michael Coles

10 Steve Bishop

11 Mike Semmonds

12 Frank Andersen

13 Steve Brennan

Heat formula:

1 2 12 11

5 6 7 8

9 4 3 10

8 1 5 9

4 7 2 6

11 8 10 3

4 5 1 12

6 11 9 2

3 12 10 7

7 9 11 4

2 3 8 5

7 10 6 1

12 9 4 8

10 2 11 5

1 12 6 3

07/06 at Sheffield - Ex 2mins

23/06 at Halifax

Ht 5 Sorry can't clarify

Ht 9 Baker, Willmott, Finch, Price 65.7

07/08 at Weymouth (4TT) Have blank programme if this helps!

Found another programme for this meeting, only changes are Oxford Team Manager - Bernard Crapper & Swindon Team Manager - Maurice Morley

Comments for Ht.1:

W, R, B when R fell (1 1/2 hour delay to take off top surface)

R, W & B all fell 1st bend in rerun

1-16

Alun Rossiter

John Barker

Martin Yeates

David Biles

Res Kevin Price

Andy Campbell

Frank Andersen

Buddy Robinson

Sean Willmott

Res Mike Semmonds

Hans Nielsen

Simon Wigg

Klaus Lausch

Marvyn Cox

Res Rob Mather

Phil Crump

Bo Petersen

Ari Koponen

Per Sorensen

Res Dave Gibbs

17/08 v Reading Exeter #8 Steve Bishop

#4 Ivan Mauger

#5 r/r for Buddy Robinson

27/08 at Poole Ht 13: Ermolenko 3rd Middleditch 4th

Have blank Junior progs:

20-06 at Poole

19-07 at Wimbledon

03-08 v Wimbledon

23-10 at Milton Keynes

03-09 at Reading

From statistics in back of programme

30-08 v Wimbledon

Coles 8+2, Hussey 11+1, Gibbs 4+2, Brennan 5, Chessell 9+2, Barratt 9+1 [46-32]

Many thanks.

That pairs format looks like the Westernapolis individual format. I hope they at least got the riders correct as that would mean a lot of writing! From the line-up I'm able to deduce the likely format to match the heat results so thanks for that.

In the juniors reply you say you have a programme for 3rd August but give details of a match on the 30th. Surely not two matches in a month so I'm guessing the 3rd was rained off/cancelled for some reason and the programme re-issued on the 30th?

Many thanks.

That pairs format looks like the Westernapolis individual format. I hope they at least got the riders correct as that would mean a lot of writing! From the line-up I'm able to deduce the likely format to match the heat results so thanks for that.

In the juniors reply you say you have a programme for 3rd August but give details of a match on the 30th. Surely not two matches in a month so I'm guessing the 3rd was rained off/cancelled for some reason and the programme re-issued on the 30th?

Guess so, unfortunately not much info in the '84 Exeter progs - Good luck with the project

Guess so, unfortunately not much info in the '84 Exeter progs - Good luck with the project

The programmes were very thin that year if I remember correct as they were included in the admission price and were mostly ads

The programmes were very thin that year if I remember correct as they were included in the admission price and were mostly ads

The one copy I have is 16 pages, quite advert heavy particularly the scorecard which is spread accross 4 pages. The programme served as your re-admission ticket so you're correct about it being included in the price. I must say I like the cover.

I must say I like the cover.

Like it?! It was the greatest programme cover in speedway history no less! :-) Edited by falcace

Have blank Junior progs:

20-06 at Poole

19-07 at Wimbledon

03-08 v Wimbledon

23-10 at Milton Keynes

03-09 at Reading

From statistics in back of programme

30-08 v Wimbledon

Coles 8+2, Hussey 11+1, Gibbs 4+2, Brennan 5, Chessell 9+2, Barratt 9+1 [46-32]

Thanks to the continued efforts of Tony Lethbridge I'm a tad closer to resolving the Junior KOC conundrums. I now know that the 1st Round, 2nd Leg match between Exeter and Poole was staged on 14th July. Exeter won 43-35. The 1st leg result is shown as Poole winning 41-37 but no date.

Falcon Hammer, can you have a look at the Poole programme you have dated for 20th June? Poole staged the Gala Night individual that evening and I find it unlikely that it was a double-header, even more unlikely that they issued 2 programmes. Does the programme offer up any clues?

9/7 RR was for Leif Wahlmann (from filled in prog)

3/9/84 Junior Tournament (from filled in prog - not my writing, may not be 100% accurate, standard 4TT race format)

Exeter 30

Mike Semmonds 3 3 3 0 9

Brian Hussey 3 3 3 2 11

Mike Coles 1 3 2 3 9

Steve Brennan 1 0 0 n 1

Alan Theobold 0 0

Swindon 25

David Main 0 3 2 2 7

Mark Gibbs 2 0 2 3 7

Steve Goodwin 1 2 2 1 6

Gary Chessell x* 0 1 2 3

Nick Bates 2 2

Reading 22

Andy Passey 3 0 n 3 6

Trevor Williams 3 2 1 0 6

Paul Hollingsbee 2 2 1 1 6

David Johnson 1 1 f 2 4

Richard Harris 0 0

Weymouth 19

Terry Mussett fx 1 3 1 5

Marcus Bisson 0 2 3 1 6

? Wiltshire 0 1 0 0 1

Billy Pinder n 1 1 3 5

Phil Ranson 2 2

* tapes or 2 minutes?

Thanking you. Could you possibly list the heat times if marked? And can you tell me what order the teams rode in (I have it as Read v Wey v Swin v Exeter, I think from the programme cover) and what numbering system they used (was each team #1-5 or was it the 1-4. 5-8 and reserves at 17-20 version?).

Thanks to the continued efforts of Tony Lethbridge I'm a tad closer to resolving the Junior KOC conundrums. I now know that the 1st Round, 2nd Leg match between Exeter and Poole was staged on 14th July. Exeter won 43-35. The 1st leg result is shown as Poole winning 41-37 but no date.

Falcon Hammer, can you have a look at the Poole programme you have dated for 20th June? Poole staged the Gala Night individual that evening and I find it unlikely that it was a double-header, even more unlikely that they issued 2 programmes. Does the programme offer up any clues?

Hi Dave

Programme dated SUNDAY June 20th! Inside has Here next Wednesday Poole Gala Night 20th June!

In 13/06 Poole v Newcastle programme:

Next Junior meeting Sunday 17th June 15:30

Thanking you. Could you possibly list the heat times if marked? And can you tell me what order the teams rode in (I have it as Read v Wey v Swin v Exeter, I think from the programme cover) and what numbering system they used (was each team #1-5 or was it the 1-4. 5-8 and reserves at 17-20 version?).

Reading 1-4 in red

Weymouth 5-8 in blue

Swindon 9-12 in white

Exeter 13-16 in Y&B

heat times (not complete):

1 65.4

2 64.6

3 66.3

4 63.8

5 65.0

6 65.6

7??