British Speedway Forum

My First League Match

First match - Crayford v Nottingham Outlaws. Persuaded by my younger brother to give him a lift on my bike

I remember Crayford won by about 8 points and their No. 1 rider (later found out it was Mike Sampson) thrashed all the home ones

I did about every other meeting until the 4's that year which Crayford won - I got hooked that day and foolishly thought Crayford were a major force in the second flight - little did I realise

that day was just about the highlight of the (original) Kestrels existance

One of my favourite riders from that era. Very under-rated in my view as he was instrumental in helping 'The Rebels' win the League title in 1977 with some striking performances whilst covering for the injured Paul Gachet.

Sampson was very impressive for Nottingham riding with Dave Perks.I see Sampson ride for Exeter/ White City/Cradley(in a Penhall side)in the BL cerainly a BL rider very capable

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

I was at that meeting. I don't remember seeing you there! ;)

I saw you, wearing a Gaberdine mac, orange scarf, a deerstalker, and pink winklepickers, orange trousers, carrying an umbrella, and smoking a pipe

Edited by beefy keefy
  • Like 1

' Ang on Norbold that was the exact outfit you were wearing at the British Final in 1965 also!!

• Like 2

I saw you, wearing a Gaberdine mac, orange scarf, a deerstalker, and pink winklepickers, orange trousers, carrying an umbrella, and smoking a pipe

Oh, you did see me then.

' Ang on Norbold that was the exact outfit you were wearing at the British Final in 1965 also!!

No sense in wasting a good outfit.

• Like 1

My first Meeting was on 21st April 1964. Sunderland 'Saints' against Newcastle 'Diamonds'. I have been hooked ever since.

That was also my first ever sight of Ivan Mauger - he scored a Maximum that night.

Sadly though, Sunderland went down to a 32-44 (CH) - for the 'Saints' Jim Airey scored 9 Points, Graham Coombes and Maury McDermott scored 6.

http://www.sunderlandspeedway.co.uk/stats/1964/1964_Season.html

Edited by The White Knight

Exactly 41 years ago today Wimbledon 32, Reading 46 (Challenge Match) still remember it well today.

My first taste of live speedway so much different from watching it on the telly which I been doing for a while. The Noise, Smell and Atmosphere was brilliant. This is when I choose Wimbledon as my team to support then and forever despite the closure of the stadium to speedway.

• Like 1

Hi Gustix, My Father Fred Taylor was one of the riders in New Cross Rangers team in the match with West Ham in 1946. My late Father had been trying to make it in post war speedway, he had second half rides at many London tracks including Rye House where he had been quite badly injured. He and his brother John who also rode second half races at West Ham and ran a motor cycle tuning business in Sunnyside Rd Ilford. My Dad had moderate success in an injury blighted career and after he married in 1947 he retired and  worked as a draughtsman for Ilford Films. Later he worked as a Hornchurch school metal work teacher and retired in 1981 and enjoyed over 25 yrs retirement until his death in 2006 ( 86yrs old ). I was a regular at Ken Mackinlay / Sverre Harrfeldt era at West Ham but also with my Father attended many Grass Tracks which my Dad really loved as I still do. Lakeside Hammers are my local Speedway team now and I have helped as a track marshall/ grader last season. Regards Geoff Taylor 

Speedway 1946.jpg

• Like 1