British Speedway Forum
doners1234

What The Visa Issues Could Mean For Teams.

Would imagine that would be the case and if they plan it right the under 7 point riders who want to come over will share out the state events.

Hopefully if it looks like they are trying to game the system the v&i authorities will clamp down even more strictly.

Would imagine that would be the case and if they plan it right the under 7 point riders who want to come over will share out the state events.

If you mean they will travel around to compete in various State Championships other than their own, that can't happen, as they can only qualify from there own State Championship. Finishing in the top 4 of any state championship that is not their own, will mean that they do not meet that particular part of the criteria.

If you mean they will travel around to compete in various State Championships other than their own, that can't happen, as they can only qualify from there own State Championship. Finishing in the top 4 of any state championship that is not their own, will mean that they do not meet that particular part of the criteria.

But how many state championships are there and how many decent riders are there in each of those states ?

You could end up with good quality riders not making it in the top four in one and complete dross making the top four in another !

Therefore depending on where somebody happens to live in Oz is directly relevant as to wether they can meet the qualifying criteria to ride in the UK .

Hardly seems fair to be refused a visa on that basis to me !

But how many state championships are there and how many decent riders are there in each of those states ?

You could end up with good quality riders not making it in the top four in one and complete dross making the top four in another !

Therefore depending on where somebody happens to live in Oz is directly relevant as to wether they can meet the qualifying criteria to ride in the UK .

Hardly seems fair to be refused a visa on that basis to me !

• Like 1

I dont think you are right there - again unless the regs have been revised.

How would it actually be proved for which state a rider is eligible? I assume it goes on residence rather than birth, but what if a rider claimed to be residing in another state?

• Like 1

As I understand it finishing in the top 4 of an Australian state championship is one route into Britain. How seriously are these state championships taken by the riders? Would riders who have already achieved a 7 point average deprive fellow Aussies the chance to race in Britain?

Good post, it is good to do well in your own championship, but knowing you will come over know matter what standard you are, because some British speedway clubs think you are the best thing since sliced bread, is a good fall back for them, but that looks to be a thing of the past now, and some may say the league will struggle for riders this year, and will depend on riders from the EU that would never be considered, and we will have to put up with that for this year, but that will make sure that we have only the best Australians coming over, and they will know that they will have do much better in there State Championships, in order to come over, and that in the long run, can only be better for British speedway, having good riders coming in the league, and not riders who have failed for years, but come back every year, just the same.

Edited by Devildodger
  • Like 1

I dont think you are right there - again unless the regs have been revised.

If I'm wrong, then I apologise, as that is how I read the criteria.

The BSPA site quotes the 2009 regulations, which does say "Finished in the first four in the state Championships" and isn't specific. It may well be that they have not changed since then, and won't change, but until someone clarifies it properly, then they are going to be open to interpretation.

Either way. What state champ are more than four riders of a decent standard going ti be racing in, given the el riders are hardly likely to do so?

A side issue from this could be an imprvement in the quality of the fields for the Aussie state championships, increasesd gates as a result and maybe a revival of the solos in OZ above now

• Like 1

I'm sorry if this has been answered already...... Which non eu riders are okay to ride despite not finishing fourth or better in their state champs or being 7+ ?

In short who's qualifying via residency?

Also, does the likes of Mathew Wethers have any future career in speedway? He wasn't 7+ last year so clearly won't be 7+ this year. How does he ever get back in? Of course it's easy to argue perhaps he never should but this isn't a one season chancer. I've read he's married a Brit and has a family with her.

I'm sorry if this has been answered already...... Which non eu riders are okay to ride despite not finishing fourth or better in their state champs or being 7+ ?

Also, does the likes of Mathew Wethers have any future career in speedway? He wasn't 7+ last year so clearly won't be 7+ this year. How does he ever get back in? Of course it's easy to argue perhaps he never should but this isn't a one season chancer. I've read he's married a Brit and has a family with her.

If the lad hasn't been given a visa for this year, then I can't see him getting one in the near future.

Would have thought he would apply for British citizenship, or return to OZ and successfully finish in the top 4 of his State Championships. If he does get into the top 4, it might be interesting how he gets back in to the UK, apart from a 3 month visitors visa. Would he take the expense and the risk ?

Would have thought he would apply for British citizenship, or return to OZ and successfully finish in the top 4 of his State Championships. If he does get into the top 4, it might be interesting how he gets back in to the UK, apart from a 3 month visitors visa. Would he take the expense and the risk ?

He'd have to reside full time in the UK for 5 years before he could apply for ILR or British Citizenship, and his wife would need to earn over the 18,600 limit.

You can't just become a British Citizen because you have a British husband or wife.

If he chose to live in the UK as a spouse then he could ride here no problem, but they would have to live here permanently.

Edited by grachan

He'd have to reside full time in the UK for 5 years before he could apply for ILR or British Citizenship, and his wife would need to earn over the 18,600 limit.

You can't just become a British Citizen because you have a British husband or wife.

If he chose to live in the UK as a spouse then he could ride here no problem, but they would have to live here permanently.

I believe Matty has lived in this country for about 12/13 years, as I remember trying to sign him for my Gems team.

I believe Matty has lived in this country for about 12/13 years, as I remember trying to sign him for my Gems team.

He must, presumably, have some sort of residency then if he has a British wife? Presumably he could look into that?