British Speedway Forum
norbold

Best Australian Team Ever

Oh well, we haven't done Australia yet...

Frank Arthur

Vic Huxley

Bluey Wilkinson

Vic Duggan

Aub Lawson

Jack Young

Jason Crump

No weak links there Norbold.

Hard to compare Mick as Jason Crump apart we are talking different eras. In World Championship terms Norbold's list is better though I can't disagree with your's being a great list of Aussies. If Holder wins another WC and Ward reaches the top then I might just concede your list is better. It's all relative though, is it not?.

If you asked anyone to pick their best football or cricket team ever nobody would pick players from the 1930's or 1940's so why pick those in speedwa.y

Is I pick people like Ernie Blenkinsop in my best footballers ever, probably nobody would ever have heard of him yet he played in every England football team from 1928 to 1933.

Todays speedway riders are far superior . They are much fitter . Nearly all riders in the 30's and 40's smoked . Not so many today.

' In the thirties somes of these riders would struggle to do even 40 mph.

Nobody would say the F1 drivers were better in the 1930's compared to today's drivers. All athletes and Swimmers are far better today than yesteryear so why do some Speedway supporter cling to the misconception that Speedway riders were better 80 years ago.even though they never ever saw them

Because the thread title is Best Australian Team Ever...the clue is in the name.

p.s.

As this thread was started by Norbold, whose knowledge, insight and understanding of Speedway far outstrips mine. why question the format?

I never saw Stanley Matthews, Fangio or Donald Bradman. Does that preclude me fro acknowledging their prowess?.

• Like 1

I would choose Vivian Woodward in a best England football team ever.

Try these then

Jason Crump

Phil Crump

Chris Holder

Darcy Ward

Billy Sanders

Leigh Adams

Ryan Sullivan

Jim Airey for Ward who might not be available. :shock: :shock: :shock:

• Like 1