British Speedway Forum

I have just seen on the Somerset web site that Lew has passed away.

Personally I have very fond memories of Lew since I met him and his good wife Betty in 1980 at the old Weymouth stadium.

Always time for everyone and brought on many a young rider.

RIP Lew.

Condolences to Betty and the family.

Sad News.

R.I.P. + Lew.

A lovely man who used to seek me out at Somerset in their early days, to talk and give advice to any young rider we had in our team. He would pass tips on to me for settings and ignition settings, if some one was struggling.

RIP Lew

A lovely man who used to seek me out at Somerset in their early days, to talk and give advice to any young rider we had in our team. He would pass tips on to me for settings and ignition settings, if some one was struggling.

RIP Lew

People like that are far and few between now mate.. RIP

Will be greatly missed. Had the pleasure of meeting him at Weymouth some years ago and reminded him of programme I had from Fleetwood from 1948 when he was a late replacement for Bristol. He remembered it like it was yesterday and was so easy going and friendly. Also he trained and helped so many novices and others.

I have never met the man, but the name I remember. A good grass track rider too, as I recall! You realise you are getting old yourself when these names are departing.

RIP

So sad, He was a great man and a superb engine tuner.

Spent a lot of hours listening to his many stories & his views on the sport.

So many great memories

RIP Lew

Very sad to hear this. I remember Lew from all my years watching at Exeter and also when I was presenter/announcer at the OTA. He was a genuinely lovely guy, always happy to pass on some snippets of wisdom from his years of experience around the sport and always keen to help anyone he could in any way possible.

They broke the mould when Lew arrived, shame there aren't many more like him. He will be greatly missed by many.

RIP Lew.

I have a set of his leathers hanging in my cellar, they came from a young rider with little money and were a gift from Lew , it speaks volumes of the man

I have never met the man, but the name I remember. A good grass track rider too, as I recall! You realise you are getting old yourself when these names are departing.

RIP

Lew Coffin on grass:

So many riders and officials spoke so highly of him. I'd love Speedway Star to do a piece on him, I gather his short speedway career was lively but short though he loved the sport. On the grass he was really special. RIP lovely man.

• Like 1

Top man, Race In Peace Lew, you may have ridden your last race but we are sure you won it. The Neaths

Genuine nice guy who seemed to know everyone in grass track and have time for them all. I was spannering for an admittedly poor rider in the late 80s and Lew would always have just as much time for him as he would for the big stars like Wigg and Schofield. Small in stature, but a giant of his sport. RIP.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the sad news, a name from the past with fond memories, RIP Lew.

As others have said he will be greatly missed. A lovely genuine man I will miss him when I next go to Somerset and in his day was unbelieveably quick on a grass bike. R.I.P. Lew It has been a privelege to have known you.