British Speedway Forum
customhouseregular

Your First Taste Of Speedway

Dick Bradley...now that's a name you don't hear about so much.

New Cross -Ackney in 1963 as a 7-year-old urchin from Peckham...

I was at that match. I don't remember seeing you though. ;)

My Grandfather introduced my Mother to speedway and she introduced me. Grandad and Nan lived in Millwall so We could easily have been New Cross fans. But...Grandad and Mum were born in Poplar and Grandad was a Lightrman in east India Docks, so New Cross's loss was West Ham's gain.

I was at that match. I don't remember seeing you though. ;)

I remember you though, wearing a trilby and crombey coat, smoking a Woodbine, drinking a bottle of Watneys. I was wearing a cubs cap and a gabardine mac, greys socks and sandals, and one of those elasticated ties. The first record was Petula Clark, the last The Beatles. :rofl:

I remember you though, wearing a trilby and crombey coat, smoking a Woodbine, drinking a bottle of Watneys.

Yes, that was me. Strange I didn't see you then.

• Like 1

Oxford, sometime in 1973, although can’t remember too much about it!! I was born the same day as an Oxford vs Belle Vue KOC match, which my dad had to miss!

I do remember the Oxford Cheetahs team of 1979, I was six at the time, and remember George Hunter and Les Rumsey riding for Oxford. To begin with, I thought Les Rumsey was a woman, because one of my mum’s friends was called Leslie. Very vividly remember the Pip Lamb Benefit Meeting at the end of that season, two pairs meetings, a BL one and a NL one, and Bruce Penhall became a hero after that.

I filled in my first programme for the IL4TT round at Oxford in June 1980. Former Oxford rider Gordon Kennett rode for Eastbourne and scored a maximum and celebrated with a wheelie, while the NL Cheetahs finished third (largely thanks to Dave Perks and Derek Harrison), beating BL Wimbledon into fourth place.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Teesside 43 Berwick 35

Graham Edmonds, who very soon after injured himself badly, was my first hero.

Ellesmere Port v Sunderland 1972 (League match - not the very first meeting).

I remember it being very wet with a vivid red shale.

I vaguely remember the late Jack Millen visiting the referee's box during the proceedings !

Ellesmere Port v Sunderland 1972 (League match - not the very first meeting).

I remember it being very wet with a vivid red shale.

I vaguely remember the late Jack Millen visiting the referee's box during the proceedings !

My Team. :t:

That sounds right. :t::)

:approve: :approve:

Oxford, sometime in 1973, although can’t remember too much about it!! I was born the same day as an Oxford vs Belle Vue KOC match, which my dad had to miss!

I do remember the Oxford Cheetahs team of 1979, I was six at the time, and remember George Hunter and Les Rumsey riding for Oxford. To begin with, I thought Les Rumsey was a woman, because one of my mum’s friends was called Leslie. Very vividly remember the Pip Lamb Benefit Meeting at the end of that season, two pairs meetings, a BL one and a NL one, and Bruce Penhall became a hero after that.

I filled in my first programme for the IL4TT round at Oxford in June 1980. Former Oxford rider Gordon Kennett rode for Eastbourne and scored a maximum and celebrated with a wheelie, while the NL Cheetahs finished third (largely thanks to Dave Perks and Derek Harrison), beating BL Wimbledon into fourth place.

All the best

Rob

I only visited Oxford once...Oxford v West Ham 1967.Father and Son Reeves riding for Oxford.

My first match was Easter Sunday 1969 Eastbourne Eagles v Kings Lynn Starletts. Two riders stick in my mind, a very young Dave Jessup for the Eagles and Graham,Edmunds for the Starletts in his white leathers. I was 9 years old the Eastbourne track was a better size and everything was possible. Can I go back please? ;)

Unless my memory is playing tricks I remember a 16 year old Dave Jessup, along with a young Barry Thomas having after meeting rides one night at West Ham.