British Speedway Forum
customhouseregular

Your First Taste Of Speedway

Ken Le Breton rode for Newcastle 47/48 & Glasgow Ashfield(The Giants) 49/50

Did Le BRETON have white leathers at some stage in his career probably wrong???

1977 Yorkshire Bank Trophy at Sheffield,as a little un I couldn't wait to go home...a feeling that I've experienced plenty of times since :rofl:

• Like 2

Ken rode at Newcastle for The Wallabies against The Northerners in July 1949, then for Ashfield at the beginning of August when the first league match was abandoned after a few heats and twice in September in the league meetings between the Magpies and the Giants.

It could well have been the July meeting, as I would imagine the people we were with would have taken us in the school hols. Many thanks for your and cyclone's comments.

In my wasted years between 6 and 19, I used to cycle down to Belmont in Durham on the Sundays to watch Jack and Ronnie Tait(Swales), Lampkin, Leadbitter, doing scrambling.

Wimbledon 1968 not sure who it was against now (something in my head says Halifax) but I was only 11 and I was just mesmerised at the time by the speed, the smell and the flying dirt (as I then thought) off the back wheel. I came away from that meeting dreaming of the next week and maybe one day riding in the team alongside my new super high speed hero Olle Nygren. :D

Edited by tonyd

I think he had them for the whole of his career.

• Like 1

I found this on the net which includes a description of "the most colourful team in the league".

http://www.world-sra.co.uk/hoskins%20rides%20again.html

I seem to recall that part of the friendly rivalry between Harry Bastable and Ivor Brown during their time as Cradley Heath's two star riders, included each of them wearing a white top over their leathers to see who could appear cleanest after the evening's racing.

I got hooked from a very young age...Bristol Bulldogs at Eastville...remember the first heat like it was yesterday. The crowd, the noise, the smell...my reaction was exactly like this little lads...been hooked ever since...

I remember the Daily Mirror meeting very well huge crowd the place buzzing i remember the track having sand on it..Gresh can you remember the Bulldogs getting hammered at the Abbey think it was a challenge match.? I think the Bulldogs might of scored 19???? Crump rode and i think Langli Hole and Booey rode.

I remember the Daily Mirror meeting very well huge crowd the place buzzing i remember the track having sand on it..Gresh can you remember the Bulldogs getting hammered at the Abbey think it was a challenge match.? I think the Bulldogs might of scored 19???? Crump rode and i think Langli Hole and Booey rode.

Unfortunately I can't fella...my first meeting at the Abbey was 1979 when I started following Swindon after the Bulldogs closure.

1977 Yorkshire Bank Trophy at Sheffield,as a little un I couldn't wait to go home...a feeling that I've experienced plenty of times since :rofl:

I hated my first meeting too, believe it or not!

September 16th 1976, Bass-Charrington (local brewery) Open meeting, hated the smell and the flying shale, spent most of the evening in the T shirt printing hut. My Dad had known this bloke from our village for a couple of years, but only knew he was called Doug, he and my Mum went to the pits to see which ones Doug Wyer and Reg Wilson were.... Yes, you've guessed it.....

Anyhow, they liked it and I went again on September 15th 1977 to the Gauloises Pairs semi final which featured Sheffield, Wolverhampton, Belle Vue, King's Lynn, Swindon, Bristol and Exeter. This was the meeting Phil Crump broke his femur, Martin Ashby and Ivan Mauger also suffered injuries. Bearing in mind what was to happen in future years, not only was Michael Lee present, he scored an immaculate 18 point maximum!

Next Thursday is also the 15th September, and would you credit it, our home meeting is on Wednesday.....

• Like 1

I hated my first meeting too, believe it or not!

September 16th 1976, Bass-Charrington (local brewery) Open meeting, hated the smell and the flying shale, spent most of the evening in the T shirt printing hut. My Dad had known this bloke from our village for a couple of years, but only knew he was called Doug, he and my Mum went to the pits to see which ones Doug Wyer and Reg Wilson were.... Yes, you've guessed it.....

Anyhow, they liked it and I went again on September 15th 1977 to the Gauloises Pairs semi final which featured Sheffield, Wolverhampton, Belle Vue, King's Lynn, Swindon, Bristol and Exeter. This was the meeting Phil Crump broke his femur, Martin Ashby and Ivan Mauger also suffered injuries. Bearing in mind what was to happen in future years, not only was Michael Lee present, he scored an immaculate 18 point maximum!

Next Thursday is also the 15th September, and would you credit it, our home meeting is on Wednesday.....

Ashby and Crump ( to a lesser degree he reached 82 WF and was a great rider both were never the same riders after that pile up. Edited by Sidney the robin

April 1971 aged 11. Step Dads workmate came round on Sunday morning and suggested I go. We lived in Hailsham. Eastbourne Vs Sunderland 59-19 Gordon and Dave Kennett at 6 & 7. Derek Cook full maximum. Loved it. Parents soon got sick of taking me and picking me up so I had to walk 90 minutes home each week. Well worth it.

First away was 1973 at Canterbury, Young England Vs Young Poland