British Speedway Forum
thebaron

Tony Coupland Backtrack 66.

Apologies if anyone had already mentioned this; I have not trawled through the posts for it.

An extremely interesting; honest and revealing interview with former Middlesborough team boss Tony Coupland in this issue.

Amongst many little insights; he talks about the demise of the sport and who might have some responsibility for that. Despite the undoubted promotional successes and talents of the Late Ian Thomas.

Coupland thinks that Thomas shares some of the blame. He recounts how in 1970 he attended an Open Meeting at Bradford (this was my first ever meeting by co-incidence - The Northern Riders Championship) and Thomas was trying to sign up riders for his new Workington Division 2 venture.

Thomas apparently was throwing money and bikes at riders; and this Coupland contends started the rot in speedway. Up to that point Riders had been pretty much "under the control" of Speedway officialdom. Suddenly it seemed like the Riders had the whip hand and could almost name their price.

Thomas was a pioneer of a "new age" of promoting and arrived on the scene at a time when speedway promoting was less the domain of the sports former riders/ long established officials and shifting into the hands of enthusiastic sponsors; businessmen and fans.

Looking at the latter "model for promoting" it may be easy to have seen where all this might lead?. Riders became the power and could and did demand more; the enthusiasts eager to court their favourite club/riders paid with bucks and bikes. A sport built on strict governance; remember the now seemingly draconian "rider control" - the way riders were basically sent around the country to balance team strengths. Was starting to be run by the enthusiasts themselves and because it was suddenly "their business". So they made the rules to suit their business and overtime lost sight of the bigger picture.

Speedway was starting to drift to the margins of professional sport and so we are where we are.

Read Coupland in Back track. As I say a very interesting and telling insight into the decline of our sport in my view.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 1

the outsider: Pleased to see you've highlighted a prominent feature in our latest issue.

For those interested, this is what else is in issue 66:

MARTIN ASHBY INTERVIEW

He is a man of few words, but his impressive career records for club and country speak volumes for what a superb rider Martin Ashby was. Tony McDonald visited the former Swindon and Exeter star to find out more about one of the sport's finest and most popular servants.

INTER-CONTINENTAL FINALS (1975-90)

For some riders qualifying from this penultimate round of the World Championship was a career-defining moment, a jubilant time to celebrate reaching their first final. For others, including World Champions Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen and Anders Michanek, it spelt the end of the line, a champions' graveyard. Rob Peasley looks back at the most dramatic moments of the Inter-Continental Final.

TONY OLSSON INTERVIEW

Tony Olsson recently quit as GP Race Director but what about his own racing days for Reading, Hackney, Belle Vue, Swindon, Exeter and Ipswich in a career spanning some 20 years? Andrew Skeels caught up with the former World Finalist and Swedish international.

MIKE LOHMANN INTERVIEW

A member of Denmark's historic first World Team Cup-winning side in 1978, Mike Lohmann (pictured) invited Backtrack to his home city of Hillerod to look back over a once promising career with Halifax and Belle Vue that ended far too soon and in near disastrous circumstances.

BRIAN FOOTE INTERVIEW

Brian Foote has long since left the speedway limelight behind but his fans at Romford, Rayleigh and Rye House will readily recall the no-nonsense performer who became one of Division Two's biggest characters. Keith McGhie caught up with him down in the West Country.

SHEFFIELD: 50 MEMORABLE MOMENTS

We trace the history of a club where Wyer and Wilson were the wow factor, the Moran brothers combined skill and fun and Owlerton consistently served up some of the best racing in the land.

TONY COUPLAND - Team Manager's Tales

In this first of a two-part interview, no-nonsense former Middlesbrough team boss Tony Coupland tells it like it was.

OPENING TIMES - Glasgow 1988

How Glasgow Tigers went from near extinction to build one of the National League's crown jewels at Shawfield Stadium in 1988. Co-promoter Dick Barrie and Paul Ackroyd, who officiated at the opening night meeting against Scottish rivals Edinburgh, turn the clock back.

SCOTTISH TOURS

Doug Nicolson looks at the club sides who visited Scotland over the years and also at the limited forays abroad made by Scottish teams.

COLLECTING

Steve Luxton lives with his family in Jupiter, Florida but, as he explains, his memories of supporting Exeter in the 70s remain very close to his heart.

Plus . . .

Your letters and many classic photos from the 70s and 80s that ooze nostalgia.

To order this issue or to subscribe, please visit http://www.retro-speedway.com

Great issue as always - loved the Ashby, Foote, Olsson, Coupland and Lohmann features - and I always enjoy reading about the sport north of the border. Not really a fan of the 50 Memorable moments and the ICF recap (apologies to Rob P).

One question. Cyril Crane's name is on the front cover, but nothing in the magazine?

tmc; thank you for that; my pleasure; and a really enjoyable read front to back, the Bob Kilby and Brian Foote missives also great reads. Thanks Backtrack.

• Like 1

Super Issue - I particularly liked the Article about Tony Coupland. I can't wait for Part Two............................

:t::approve: :approve: :approve:

• Like 1

One question. Cyril Crane's name is on the front cover, but nothing in the magazine?

Blame the editor - the fool put Cyril's name on the front cover and forgot to remove it when we decided to hold his interview over to our next issue!

Blame the editor - the fool put Cyril's name on the front cover and forgot to remove it when we decided to hold his interview over to our next issue!

Not foolish at all. A great advert for the 'next' Issue. ;):)

Thanks for the reply, figured it was another editorial blunder!!

Will look forward to the interview when it is finally published. I find the ex-administrators/promoters can be a wee bit more candid and have more interesting stories to tell than many of the ex-riders.

Thanks for the reply, figured it was another editorial blunder!!

Will look forward to the interview when it is finally published. I find the ex-administrators/promoters can be a wee bit more candid and have more interesting stories to tell than many of the ex-riders.

I prefer to read about the Riders and Clubs myself. It would be a strange old World if we all felt the same way...................

the outsider: Pleased to see you've highlighted a prominent feature in our latest issue.

For those interested, this is what else is in issue 66:

former Middlesbrough team boss Tony Coupland tells it like it was.

OPENING TIMES - Glasgow 1988

How Glasgow Tigers went from near extinction to build one of the National League's crown jewels at Shawfield Stadium in 1988. Co-promoter Dick Barrie and Paul Ackroyd, who officiated at the opening night meeting against Scottish rivals Edinburgh, turn the clock back.

The superb piece by Andrew Skeels on Shawfield is especially relevant, given that the Tigers are again trying to wreak a revival.