Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Start/finish

From the recesses of my memory I recall the finish line at Wimbledon being forward of the start line, resulting in each race being 4 laps+a few extra yards. I can't recall this being the case at any other track I visited or read about.

Does anyone know whether this system was/is used anywhere else?

Does/did it fall foul of any FIM regulations?.

I thought it was done to come within FIM standards

The current Edinburgh track is like this although the difference between start line and finish line is much smaller than the old Wimbledon track had.

There are/were smaller tracks so it can't have been the 4 lap race distance.

There are/were smaller tracks so it can't have been the 4 lap race distance.

Why not?Sure you can have smaller tracks,but they didn't host FIM meetings.Dohren is one.But I think back then to host FIM meeting you had to have a certain length.Think you also had to have a certain width,as I recall some story of a promoter tricking the FIM inspectors

Edited by iris123

Maybe Iris but Wimbledon used the system for all meetings, not just FIM sanctioned.

I don't remember a smaller track back then hosting FIM events so I can't comment.

Thanks for your input by the way.

It's probably nothing to do with the FIM,but it would be a bit strange to have two different lengths with two different track records,seeing as they regularly held FIM meetings.Although there was most likely a track or two that did have such things happening.And I think this only came about at Plough Lane after the track was altered,due maybe to the Stock Cars.....

Edited by iris123

On the question of track records, as an aside, how does Wimbledon's record from the late 60's compare with a similar sized track today?.

My understanding was then when they changed the track it was felt that the run to the first turn would be too short so they moved the start line back.

• Like 2

Maybe Iris but Wimbledon used the system for all meetings, not just FIM sanctioned.

I don't remember a smaller track back then hosting FIM events so I can't comment.

Thanks for your input by the way.

Actually I don't think they did use the separate finish for FIM meetings. I was there for a WTC qualifier in the early 80's and pretty sure they just raced over the 4 laps.

Edit: Just checked the programme and the times in a few races were within the track record so that suggests the "second" finishing post wasn't used. Track record wasn't altered in future programmes.

Edited by salty

Thanks for your replies folks.

Actually I don't think they did use the separate finish for FIM meetings. I was there for a WTC qualifier in the early 80's and pretty sure they just raced over the 4 laps.

Edit: Just checked the programme and the times in a few races were within the track record so that suggests the "second" finishing post wasn't used. Track record wasn't altered in future programmes.

But in the 70s the Internationale for instance was an FIM meeting with an attending FIM official and an FIM trophy and they raced over the 1234 yards and the race times were the same as most weeks and in 73 in a run-off between Olsen + Michanek the track record was broken.Nt that it proves much.Rules change from time to time.A couple of years back the FIM changed the rule on how big a Longtrack had to be,so they could include a big speedway track.......

Chadster is probably right though and I do seem to recall there was a thread or this topic came up within a thread a while back

Edited by iris123

I was a regular at Wimbledon from the late 70s and never saw them race from different start lines or to different finish lines.