British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

If You Could Bring Back One Rider...

Mason Campton.

That's your invitation to Derwent Park gone out of the window.

Peter Collins...

He made it look so effortless...

On a saturday afternoon, World of Sport, you couldnt fail to want to give the sport a visit at your local track after seeing what he could do....

Honestly do feel a bit sorry for those who never got the chance to see him 'live'....

Could give some of the best riders to have ever ridden 20 - 30 yards head start and win by the same margin time and time again....

Very lucky I grew up 10 mins from Hyde Rd so got to see him at his 'pomp' every week...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

Peter Collins...

Could give some of the best riders to have ever ridden 20 - 30 yards head start and win by the same margin time and time again....

PC was probably my all-time favourite, but how would he fare on today's tracks that are more akin to a road?

• Like 1

PC was probably my all-time favourite, but how would he fare on today's tracks that are more akin to a road?

Would that be Craven or Collins? ;)

I already know the answer to that.

Just kidding. :t:

Would that be Craven or Collins? ;)

I already know the answer to that.

Just kidding. :t:

Sadly, I never saw Craven.

Personal choice - Bernie Persson (1969 -72 vintage)

Rider I never saw - Peter Craven

For the good of the sport - Peter Collins (mid-70's version) or Bruce Penhall

• Like 2

I would love to see Eric Broadbelt scraping the kick boards at Wimborne Road again.

He was 100% all racer often succeeding but, on occasions, would crash trying!

He was the first real thriller that I recall ...and I went week after week to watch him strut his stuff.

A lovely guy who I have had the priviledge to meet several times since.

• Like 2

Red Ott (Rayleigh early 70s), he just wound it on and if he stayed on the bike, racked up the points and was exciting to watch. Under the helmet, he wore glasses and I suppose, looked a bit geeky, but he could ride!

• Like 1

It has to be the "Wizard of Balance" the "Mighty Atom" Peter Craven. He was still in his prime when he died and could easily have achieved more than his two world titles.

His style of riding was not the stand up broadsiding style of his contemporaries but the modern sit down style using his body weight and movement to control the bike and get grip. He was a good gater but also able to come from the back and to team ride.

How good it would be to see him, not just for the sheer thrill of being able again to see his superb racing skills but also for him to have the opportunity to have a full career and then enjoy the rest of his life.

Edited to add the link to this photograph which epitomises Peter's style, captures the excitement he so often generated and his brilliant ability to come from the back.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204999015708178&id=1025513025&set=gm.658478544275288&source=48

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 4