British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

If You Could Bring Back One Rider...

Super Simmo in 1976-78 form, on a well tuned Weslake and John (Tiger) Louis.

Edited by CS18

Wayne Brown perfect example of what can happen when promotions persevere with young riders

Since others have already brought back Briggo (and rightly so) I'll go for Christer Loftqvist. He treated the safety fence like a bouncy castle . Two of the best races I ever saw were between Christer and Reider Eide with Christer winning both. His death from a brain tumour while still in his twenties robbed the sport of a potentially great rider.

Reider Eide was the stand out rider at the first Speedway meeting I can remember watching and Christer one of my all time favourites. We were all sure that in many races at Poole he was on a bonus to make last lap passes!

• Like 2

Christer around West Ham was an absolute joy.

• Like 4

do you know something Mudllo doesn't :P

Seriously- Clive Featherby - never a dull moment when he was about.

And he was always prepared to help less experienced riders!

• Like 1

What a Brilliant Question !

KENNY ! ...Kenny Carter was without doubt the biggest box office draw British Speedway racer of the "modern era".

If there was no news he made it; and when there was news he was it !

He was like a cocky boxer always spoiling for a fight; always pushing the limits and boundaries. But a brilliant and brave rider; just watch his track craft and his bludgeoning determination to win. I don't think there was ever a time when Kenny was out of the race he was always going for it. Well; maybe there was; and it was during the British Semi Final at Odsal three days before the tragic events of 21 May 1986.

The media loved him; wanted to be around him and that reflected back in added interest in our sport in general.

I am just watching documentaries on Road Racing legends Barry Sheene and Mike Hailwood; Kenny Carter is up there with them an icon of his time and of his sport.

My all time hero is Gary Peterson; I would love to bring Gary back; would love to see how good he could have been. So I acknowledge Gary here too. But for the good of British Speedway it has to be KENNY!.

But what a great question Tony.

All the best

Ray Allen

Bradford

• Like 3

Really difficult to pick one, which means I can't select two of my all time favourites Mauger and Lofqvist.

My vote has to go to Buce Penhall. The sport is crying out for a personality with charisma who can draw the crowds and he was certainly it (and his arch rivalry with Kenny Carter pulled plenty through the turnstiles).

• Like 1

Avoiding the bigger names and more obvious choices I'm going to nominate an unsung hero in Colin Cook. He typified that Lions team of the early 80s and simply NEVER gave up. Seeing him charge after, and quite often beat, his more illustrious named opponents was a true speedway spectacle. A proper crowd favourite at Blackbird Road.

• Like 1

Avoiding the bigger names and more obvious choices I'm going to nominate an unsung hero in Colin Cook. He typified that Lions team of the early 80s and simply NEVER gave up. Seeing him charge after, and quite often beat, his more illustrious named opponents was a true speedway spectacle. A proper crowd favourite at Blackbird Road.

I have to agree, I loved to watch Cook in action & remember him battling with Ole Olsen for 4 laps to get a last heat win to earn Lions a rare 40-38 win over Coventry. The only time i've shouted myself hoarse at a speedway meeting.

• Like 1

Of all the riders I saw in 25 years of attending speedway, picking 1 is impossible.

I would have to choose between Lofqvist, Harrfeldt, Carter, Briggs, Nordin etc. etc....the list is endless.

Bluey Wilkinson...the bonus points system scuppered his chance in 1936 and the hiatus from 1939-1948 ruined his chances of more titles.

Have I had a senior moment?.

Of all the riders I saw in 25 years of attending speedway, picking 1 is impossible.

I would have to choose between Lofqvist, Harrfeldt, Carter, Briggs, Nordin etc. etc....the list is endless.

Er,you didn't have any trouble yesterday......another 'senior moment'????? :rofl::P

No...my original post related to any rider from any era, hence Bluey Wilkinson.

Today's post refers to riders I personally saw...Bluey having died 8 years before I was born.

Mind you Iris, the senior moments are becoming more frequent :o

• Like 1

Alan Wilkinson for his true grit and determination and to teach a good few of todays riders the meaning of passion and loyalty to your speedway club.Never the best speedway rider but i m o you will never find a better captain and team rider he put his heart and sole into every race and never gave up till the race was over.His passion for his club also got him into a few scrapes off the track at a few meetings all of which added a little bit more to a good night at the speedway.

• Like 1