British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

If You Could Bring Back One Rider...

KELVIN MULLARKEY

* pantomime villain

* record bonus points in a season 84

* 4 races at Glasgow 4 f/exc, must be a record

* could always be relied on winding up and beating Mildenhall ( and lived there)

* clashes with Barney Kennett, Alan Sage, Martin McKenna and halfa Browning (did you see the size of that fella) are folklore down by the riverbank.

* had a fight on the track with Kevin Smith against Newcastle in 1980 (no big deal until you realise Smithy was his PARTNER)

• Like 4

So I'm not quite answering the question as SCB rightly points out below.. but there's nothing I'd like more than to see a prime Craig Watson around Newport one final time.

I'm amazed at some of the rider listed on this thread. Good riders, yes. Likeable riders, yes. Your favourite rider, yes. But, "If you could bring back one former rider (in his prime) to inject new life into modern speedway"? Pull the other one!

Gary Lobb in those plain red kevlars for Exeter 1997 my first season watching speedway... Memories ha

Sean Wilson

Great entertainment

Could be a bit naughty at times.

• Like 2

Could be a bit naughty at times.

Maybe next season we could have an intreval/whatever goes match race between sean and somone called roman!!! follow that up with Rob Tilbury v anyone who dares to race him!!!!

Maybe next season we could have an intreval/whatever goes match race between sean and somone called roman!!! follow that up with Rob Tilbury v anyone who dares to race him!!!!

The sadly departed Jack Millen perhaps.......................

• Like 2

So we need Tilbury v Matousek v Wilson v Millen

looks like a 0-0 - even the last one left would sort themselves out in the last re-run!

• Like 3

The sadly departed Jack Millen perhaps.......................

What about big Arthur and the feared Steve Gresham a good rider though!

Sprouts Elder.

Arguably the finest entertainer in the late 20's, this American rider earned a small fortune (way above footballers) and put bums on seats like no other.

An honourable mention to George Newton of New Cross pre-war fame. Would have loved to have seen his broadsliding!

Bruce Penhall.

Would generate badly needed publicity for the sport and was a great racer.

• Like 2

Bruce Penhall.

Would generate badly needed publicity for the sport and was a great racer.

The transition from the "out of his depth" rider I saw at London White City, to the World Champion I saw at Wembley was amazing.

His early retirement was a real blow to the sport...he could have been right up there with the other multi-World Champions.

• Like 2

Or Rob Grant ? Haha

Vaguely remember a piece about Dave Trownson telling the announcer to stop saying that Rob was a mad rider, as he was crazy enough, and the announcer was making him worse!

• Like 2