Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

If You Could Bring Back One Rider...

Good to see that everyone has read the question very closely and given serious thought to their answers! Thank you for your input.

So that's about 58 different riders who would "inject new life into modern speedway".

• Like 1

Good to see that everyone has read the question very closely and given serious thought to their answers! Thank you for your input.

So that's about 58 different riders who would "inject new life into modern speedway".

Well - it certainly needs something. :sad: :sad:

Wouldn't it be great though if all those mentioned could all do one more Meeting. :t::approve:

Aahhhhh!!! Dreams and Memories. :t:

• Like 1

Totally biased answer from me, but my boyhood hero Sam Ermolenko.

He remains to this very day the only rider I would drop everything to see ride.

Totally biased answer from me, but my boyhood hero Sam Ermolenko.

He remains to this very day the only rider I would drop everything to see ride.

EVERYTHING!!! :shock: :shock: :shock::nono: :nono:

EVERYTHING!!! :shock: :shock: :shock::nono: :nono:

Everything :)

3 times in the last few years Sam has rode in various meets in the UK.. as soon as I have found out I've booked flights from Portugal to be there.

I forgot to give a reason, other than him being my hero...

He epitomised team speedway. He'd team ride, nurture riders, turn average riders into good ones and quite simply was Wolves Speedway. It's never quite been the same since he finished.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

3 times in the last few years Sam has rode in various meets in the UK.. as soon as I have found out I've booked flights from Portugal to be there.

That is very impressive BW. :t::approve: :approve:

That is very impressive BW. :t::approve: :approve:

lol a bit sad some might say!

But worth it on each and every occasion.

• Like 1

He epitomised team speedway. He'd team ride, nurture riders, turn average riders into good ones and quite simply was Wolves Speedway. It's never quite been the same since he finished.

I would agree with much of what you say and it is sad that time and injuries of old are the only reason we don't see a bit more of him ,loves to ride and has never lost his zest for the sport .When they made him and PK they did break the molds and it is quite strange that they have both been great servants to Wolves ,I dread the imminient retirement of PK every season ( or race even ) is a bonus but he too sadly will soon be lost to our once great sport .

Edited by FAST GATER

I would agree with much of what you say and it is sad that time and injuries of old are the only reason we don't see a bit more of him ,loves to ride and has never lost his zest for the sport .When they made him and PK they did break the molds and it is quite strange that they have both been great servants to Wolves ,I dread the imminient retirement of PK every season ( or race even ) is a bonus but he too sadly will soon be lost to our once great sport .

I've always admired PK. I was well chuffed when he rode for Belle Vue. He still rides very well and is a tremendous example to young Riders on how to conduct yourself in public.

My wife used to love his Swedish/Midland accent as well.

He is a true 'Star' of Speedway.

• Like 2

Another vote for my all-time speedway hero...........BARRY THOMAS.

Undoubtedly, the most exciting rider I have ever seen on a speedway bike.

Despite all the big names, I can't honestly think of anyone that I've ever seen, in over 40 years watching this sport, that had such a 'never give up' attitude EVERY time that he took to the track.

And such a decent, normal bloke - as is clearly evident during the interview within this clip (starts at 2:30):

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 1

For me it would have to be Olsen, Ole at Wolves in the early 70s was awesome. Watching him slow a race down to bring Tom Leadbitter home for a 5/1 happy days

for me it has to be per jonsson still had so much to give before that horrible accident

• Like 1