British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

If You Could Bring Back One Rider...

Oh dear! I seem to have made a b***s up :nono:

Briggo, he was great value for the sport in the way he could attract good publicity let alone his skills as a rider.

Keith, I have to admit to being a bit disappointed to hear this about Kyle.

All those years of listening to good solid p*** taking I would have expected something a bit more original than specsavers :lol:

'Briggo' would have been my second choice. I had to think long and hard before I gave Peter the edge.

Bluey Wilkinson...the bonus points system scuppered his chance in 1936 and the hiatus from 1939-1948 ruined his chances of more titles.

Sadly there were other reasons why he didn't win any titles between 1940 and 1948

Perhaps his death in a 1940 road motorcycle accident?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluey_Wilkinson

Edited by Guest

As a personal choice I would lov to have Tommy Jansson back and let him get to his prime.

Not really sure that he would be the one to give the sport the boost it needs,even with his good looks and being a decent guy

For me it can only really be Briggo or Bruce that could reach people that the sport doesn't mange to at the moment.As a Dons fan if it ges down to just the one,then Briggo is my choice

PC was probably my all-time favourite, but how would he fare on today's tracks that are more akin to a road?

he'd only be able to afford to give 'em a ten yard head start.... ;):D

Perhaps his death in a 1940 road motorcycle accident?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluey_Wilkinson

Unforgivable for this old 'Ammer...I forgot he died in 1940. oops!.

Would love to see Hans Nielsen in the current Elite League. I reckon he'd still clean up despite the new race format.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

Henka Gustafsson, preferably of the 1990-93 vintage before he broke his leg and when he graced the shale of Saddlebow Road. I swear he would overtake people on the last bend on purpose.

• Like 3

Since others have already brought back Briggo (and rightly so) I'll go for Christer Loftqvist. He treated the safety fence like a bouncy castle . Two of the best races I ever saw were between Christer and Reider Eide with Christer winning both. His death from a brain tumour while still in his twenties robbed the sport of a potentially great rider.

• Like 2

Limiting to just one is very tough. He is not my favourite speedway legend but for the amount of hype and excitement he created on and off the track I would bring back Kenny Carter to get today's speedway back up the popularity stakes.

In the years I`ve been watching Berwick I will pick one from the each decade, Graham Jones, Steve McDermott, and Mark Courtney.

In the years I`ve been watching Berwick I will pick one from the each decade, Graham Jones, Steve McDermott, and Mark Courtney.

You are only allowed one screm.

Who would you pick from those three?

Personally - I would go for Graham Jones.

Edited by The White Knight

You are only allowed one screm.

Who would you pick from those three?

Personally - I would go for Graham Jones.

Jones was the No1 rider at Berwick when I first started going to speedway in the 70`s so we will go with him.

• Like 1