Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

If You Could Bring Back One Rider...

I couldn't care less about all the 'big names' I've seen over the years. Most were just good trappers if I'm honest.

But the one rider who, since a young lad I'd watched give it 100% in EVERY race, and wouldn't ever give up until the chequered flag, is Hackney Legend himself - Mr. Barry Thomas.

I can't remember having seen any other rider in my lifetime make so many passes, nor produce such close racing. In particular, his performances around the boards upon the hallowed shale of Waterden Road are locked in the memories, and hearts, of all Hackney Speedway Supporters.

Tommo to me was the ultimate Speedway 'Racer' - a unique riding style coupled with a never say die attitude. Add into the mix one of the nicest guys I've ever met - who home and away, always made his way to the bar afterwards to have a chinwag with ANY supporters. Unfortunately, most riders these days seem to forgot who pays their wages.

And finally to add, a rider that had TWO testimonials for Hackney; having given over 20 years loyal service for the same club. I can't imagine that ever happening with the shuffling of the pack we get in this day and age.

Barry Thomas, for the aforementioned reasons, is the greatest speedway rider I have ever had the pleasure to watch race.

Totally agree with every word.

• Like 2

As an Edinburgh fan would love to see Peter Carr back. The way he rode the inside line on 1/2 is something that will never be done again (Schlein and Tully came close tho).

Another simply cause hes considered many to be the best to watch would be Mauger in his prime, it must have been something special.

Going back to Leicesters Blackbird Road track, after a stocks meeting and a heavy dose or two of afternoon rainstorms, bring on the Colllins, no, not PC but brother Les! He was imense on deep tracks, couldn't gate to save his life, but his style coupled with bags of balls and a 4 valve Jawa, their wasn't a finer sight blasting round the tote bend boards.....!!!

• Like 2

Tommy Jansson.

The greatest ever rider NOT to win the World Title.

He seemingly had everything slotting into place at the right time. I am totally convinced he would have won the Title at least once.

Id also love to bring back Johnnie S Hoskins. Put him in charge and let the fun begin!!

• Like 2

On the World Stage, Billy Hamill, Mark Loram, Joe Screen the 1990-2000 versions.

At Club level Lawrence Hare. Loved his leg trailing style & never give up attitude and what a cracking fella to boot.

• Like 3

For me, it has to be "Cowboy" John Cook, what a great entertainer, and such a spectacular rider to watch.

• Like 3

Avoiding the bigger names and more obvious choices I'm going to nominate an unsung hero in Colin Cook. He typified that Lions team of the early 80s and simply NEVER gave up. Seeing him charge after, and quite often beat, his more illustrious named opponents was a true speedway spectacle. A proper crowd favourite at Blackbird Road.

I have to agree..........I saw all the greats during the seventies and eighties at Leicester but for me Cookie was worth the entrance money alone.
  • Like 1

Colin Caffrey.

Had more men touching cloth than Katie Price.

Edited by george.m

I'm amazed at some of the rider listed on this thread. Good riders, yes. Likeable riders, yes. Your favourite rider, yes. But, "If you could bring back one former rider (in his prime) to inject new life into modern speedway"? Pull the other one!

I'm amazed at some of the rider listed on this thread. Good riders, yes. Likeable riders, yes. Your favourite rider, yes. But, "If you could bring back one former rider (in his prime) to inject new life into modern speedway"? Pull the other one!

No thanks, not sure where it's been!

• Like 2

So who would YOUR nomination be?

Lots of interesting names put forward here but not sure how many (in their prime) would genuinely make a real difference, an impact on a national scale, and improve modern speedway, which is the answer we're searching for.

I didn't spell it out in the original question, but modern track conditions and equipment must be factors to consider. Ask yourselves if the thrill merchants of yesteryear would get far on today's 'roads', where passing is at a premium and the bikes are so much easier to ride (leading to fewer mistakes from the trappers)? We're not talking about

What we should be looking at is modern speedway's biggest weaknesses in a more general sense, what it is lacking most of all, and how a past rider could make a difference to British speedway today. So PERSONALITY and AURA would surely play a bigger part. We are ideally looking at a past rider who will:

1. Generate national as well as media interest.

2. Be an instant drawcard at tracks wherever he rode, either through his riding style or his personality (good or bad!), or a combination of both.

3. This sounds parochial, but nationality and the ability to communicate his personality to fans and media must also count for a lot, because they are obviously important elements to putting British speedway back on the international map. So, for example, are we looking at a Brit, as opposed to a Dane or any other foreigner, here? Let's face it, it was in many respects the rise and domination of the Danes in the 80s that put the final nail in the coffin of media interest in British speedway. Whether we like it or not, the UK press and media are not interested in niche, poorly supported sports where the Brits are so far off the top tier.

Would a former Kiwi superstar be the answer to British speedway's current malaise?

Some of you may wish to revise your choices!

Edited by tmc

So who would YOUR nomination be?

Kenny Carter for me. Whats I've seen in video/youtube the guy was clearly something special and if half the stories are true then he knew how to cause a scene :D

I know most of the stuff on yourtube will have been cherry picked but I think just about every bit of coverage of him on youtube, plus the stories and what I've seen on VHS at home the guy was NEVER dull. If it wasn't a great ride, it was upsetting someone or being upset by someone. There was always something. You either loved him or hated him and I can't believe there was anyone who went, "Kenny Carter, he's alright".