British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

If You Could Bring Back One Rider...

So who would YOUR nomination be?

Lots of interesting names put forward here but not sure how many (in their prime) would genuinely make a real difference, an impact on a national scale, and improve modern speedway, which is the answer we're searching for.

I didn't spell it out in the original question, but modern track conditions and equipment must be factors to consider. Ask yourselves if the thrill merchants of yesteryear would get far on today's 'roads', where passing is at a premium and the bikes are so much easier to ride (leading to fewer mistakes from the trappers)? We're not talking about

What we should be looking at is modern speedway's biggest weaknesses in a more general sense, what it is lacking most of all, and how a past rider could make a difference to British speedway today. So PERSONALITY and AURA would surely play a bigger part. We are ideally looking at a past rider who will:

1. Generate national as well as media interest.

2. Be an instant drawcard at tracks wherever he rode, either through his riding style or his personality (good or bad!), or a combination of both.

3. This sounds parochial, but nationality and the ability to communicate his personality to fans and media must also count for a lot, because they are obviously important elements to putting British speedway back on the international map. So, for example, are we looking at a Brit, as opposed to a Dane or any other foreigner, here? Let's face it, it was in many respects the rise and domination of the Danes in the 80s that put the final nail in the coffin of media interest in British speedway. Whether we like it or not, the UK press and media are not interested in niche, poorly supported sports where the Brits are so far off the top tier.

Would a former Kiwi superstar be the answer to British speedway's current malaise?

Some of you may wish to revise your choices!

In reply to your question Tony - it would STILL be Peter Craven for me.

He fulfills every one of your three criteria with interest.

• Like 2

I know most of the stuff on yourtube will have been cherry picked but I think just about every bit of coverage of him on youtube, plus the stories and what I've seen on VHS at home the guy was NEVER dull. If it wasn't a great ride, it was upsetting someone or being upset by someone. There was always something. You either loved him or hated him and I can't believe there was anyone who went, "Kenny Carter, he's alright".

A very good answer (sorry, I didn't trawl back through the pages to see your original post).

Denis Sigalos was silky smooth a clean rider who could pass inside and out,and great tem man.as was cowboy cook.

I grew up watching Andy Galvin,who was always in the thick of the action!!! A great racer and team rider.

Kelly Moran was a pleasure to watch and talk to,sadly missed.

Edited by speedwaysliders

Revised nomination: Fay Taylour

Sorry, didn't see her ride, but would be a track draw (or drawers)!

Edited by Ray Stadia

Both riders who i have seen

Shawn Moran for the entertainment

Jim Airey for the consistant points scorer wherever he went

Edited by The Third Man

For my own enjoyment - Joe Owen

For the benefit of the sport - Bruce Penhall

• Like 2

For smooth riding style and ability, and his riding with L Richardson and M Zagar in heats 13 and 15 or shepherding younger riders to a win, Leigh Adams was a great all round rider.

For putting off the opposition at Swindon Steve Gresham.

For smooth riding style and ability, and his riding with L Richardson and M Zagar in heats 13 and 15 or shepherding younger riders to a win, Leigh Adams was a great all round rider.

For putting off the opposition at Swindon Steve Gresham.

If you want the opposition 'putting off' - look no further than Jack Millen. ;):D :D

• Like 2

For me as we approach the 30th anniversary of his death I nominate Billy Sanders.

As I grew up I had the Witches riders as my heroes and idols and none bigger than Billy.

A true no nonsense character who to me was a star on and off the track.

The ability to be smooth and fast out front and to be tough and uncomprimising from the back in equal measure.

The type of rider the opposition fans would perhaps want to boo but underneath would have a respect and admiration for - a headline maker and shaper.

I still vividly remember hanging over the fence at Smallmead on that Tuesday night, just a few months before that fateful day of his death, when the Witches took the title with Billy leading the way and knowing only Speedway would do for me as MY sport.

I was 13 when Billy died and I grew up a lot that week as 2 days after my Grandad also died.It was the week in many ways I learnt what life - and death - is all about.

So again for me bring back Billy.

Richard

• Like 3

I know most of the stuff on yourtube will have been cherry picked but I think just about every bit of coverage of him on youtube, plus the stories and what I've seen on VHS at home the guy was NEVER dull. If it wasn't a great ride, it was upsetting someone or being upset by someone. There was always something. You either loved him or hated him and I can't believe there was anyone who went, "Kenny Carter, he's alright".

the other thing to note is that there is very little footage of him on youtube riding either of the two tracks that he rode best - the shay and hyde rd.

1. Generate national as well as media interest.

2. Be an instant drawcard at tracks wherever he rode, either through his riding style or his personality (good or bad!), or a combination of both.

3. This sounds parochial, but nationality and the ability to communicate his personality to fans and media must also count for a lot, because they are obviously important elements to putting British speedway back on the international map. So, for example, are we looking at a Brit, as opposed to a Dane or any other foreigner, here? Let's face it, it was in many respects the rise and domination of the Danes in the 80s that put the final nail in the coffin of media interest in British speedway. Whether we like it or not, the UK press and media are not interested in niche, poorly supported sports where the Brits are so far off the top tier.

Given those re-iterated criteria I can't see past Penhall. But to generate those column inches you would probably need Kenny back as well.

• Like 1