Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
willp

Programme Wanted

I'm after the programme from the Reading Racers vs. Cradley Heathens match from 22nd April 1996 which was postponed early afternoon on the day. A programme was printed for this meeting but it was never used.

I require this programme to complete my Cradley collection from that season so if anyone has got a copy of this programme that they'd be willing to sell, then please get in touch.

Hi Will,

I used to sell the programmes at Reading that year and I'm sorry to say that I 've never seen a copy of that programme, I'm also missing it and I've every home programme from 1968.

Regards Dave.

There have been instances where the cancelled meetings programmes have been either dumped in a skip or returned to the printers for pulping.

Don't think this happens so often now as clubs are more aware that there is a resale market for cancelled meeting progs or they re-use them for the next match with a race card insert.

A few clubs are able to delay production until matchday and therefore they are never printed (e.g. Peterborough).

Don't know if it was a myth, but there was a story that the 1939 World Final programme was actually printed, but was never released, as WW2 was declared immediately prior to the scheduled meeting date.

Thanks for your replies.

I've recently had feedback from two different people stating that they have got this programme and one of them has had spare copies, so the programme does exist, although it appears to be very rare.

This has long been one of the rarest programmes to find and I have never seen a copy for sale.

Another rarity and one I am after if anyone has one to sell is the Austrian Grand Prix programme.

I assume Austria is rare as few were printed but as for Malmo, I guess owners don't want to sell.

This has long been one of the rarest programmes to find and I have never seen a copy for sale.

Another rarity and one I am after if anyone has one to sell is the Austrian Grand Prix programme.

I assume Austria is rare as few were printed but as for Malmo, I guess owners don't want to sell.

I am aware of three auction sales of the Malmo programme in recent years, two sold for £122 and the other one for £156.

I am aware of three auction sales of the Malmo programme in recent years, two sold for £122 and the other one for £156.

Out of my reach :sad:

I have every World final & every GP programme from 95. The Austria programme you are after, get in touch with John Somerville

Out of my reach :sad:

Malmo: First time round, as a 15 year old school boy in 1961, I wrote direct to the stadium, - maybe enclosing a half-crown (12½p) PO, maybe not, I can't remember - , and got back the programme in return to add to my collection, newly-started that year.

In the late '60s, after marriage and 2 kids, - girls were never going to have the same interest - , I sold the lot incl'g that 1961 World Final, with no particular memory of what it fetched, as work and career took priority over speedway.

Upon early retirement I renewed my interest and started a limited collection, to include World Finals, and around 2005 the Malmo programme came up on eBay a few time, the going rate the same as the pre-war Finals, at around £200.

With objectives fulfilled, last year I started a phased clear out, and one guy sensed what might be coming up next and pre-empted my future auction items. We made a private deal and I got my money back on them!

As the Holy Grail of speedway programmes, that'll be the rate, for the days of writing to the track for free programmes are long since gone. You need to sense what's coming, and/or ask quietly around.

It still frustrates me to think that I had three of these bloomin' programmes, and didn't realise the value of them when I GAVE THEM AWAY!!!

I wonder if they were the ones sold in auction.

I have every World final & every GP programme from 95. The Austria programme you are after, get in touch with John Somerville

Thank you.

I'm still after this programme to complete my yearly collection.

If anyone has got a copy that they'd be willing to sell or knows someone that has, then please get in touch.