British Speedway Forum
E I Addio

Briggo On Desert Island Discs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009y2z0

Here is a rare sound clip that I stumbled across Apparently it is the only existing recording of Briggo on Desert Island Discs. Only about 5 min of it and not the best part but an interesting reminder of the days when Speedway stars were sufficiently well known to be interviewed on the BBC.

It was apparently recorded at a time when he was World Champion but as he is referring to starting ice racing I would guess it must be 1964 or 66 rather than the previous years he was champion.

Enjoy.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 3

That's a brilliant find, E I. Yes it was in the 60s period as I remember listening to it at the time!

That's a brilliant find, E I. Yes it was in the 60s period as I remember listening to it at the time!

Look again at the BBC page link, -

- Monday 13th March 1967, on the Home Service, ( at 13:10hrs.)

I vaguely recall the 1967 BBC programme with Barry Briggs on 'Desert Island Discs" but haven't the faintest idea of his selections. Can any member provide the data please?

Edited by Guest

Quite surprised listening to that how boring Briggo sounds.Too laid back and doesn't really sell the sport that well.But fair play to the man,he got onto a top national radio programme

I vaguely recall the 1967 BBC programme with Barry Briigs on 'Desert Island Discs" but haven't the faintest idea of his selections. Can any member provide the data please?

According to the link above he chose: Favourite track: You Oughta be in Pictures by Ray Conniff & Billy Butterfield

Book: Encyclopaedia

Luxury: Surfboard

I don't know what his other seven records were.

One of his choices was Ravel's Bolero if that's how it's spelt.

Are you the Graham Warren on Facebook?

complete list here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009y2z1/segments

and Ivan Mauger chose:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009ndg9/segments

Not exactly the most contemporary of choices - think I prefer Briggo's to Ivan's

Thank you for Posting this arnieg.

Herb Alpert and Johnny Cash - Ivan's choice for me. Even though I am a massive Fan of Briggo.

Thank you for Posting this arnieg.

Herb Alpert and Johnny Cash - Ivan's choice for me. Even though I am a massive Fan of Briggo.

Got to agree with you! Love Herb Alpert - and Roger Whittaker and Jim Reeves...

Steve

Edited by chunky