British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Well, the test meeting was held on May 2.

Those with a strong stomach can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N07fDgxa7ZA

The racing was clearly dreadful.

But on the positive side the Finnish Officials and riders managed to get through a full meeting.

So they are one up on their SGP counterparts.

Second placed Timo Lahti is, rather ominously, quoted as saying "Track was still quite difficult, but hopefully it will be better in GP".

I am unsure if it qualifies for what Philip Rising, rather queasily, describes as 'A stage fit for the riders to strutt their stuff'

But I should think that Paul Bellamy is getting his excuses ready as I type.

Edited by Grand Central

I am unsure if it qualifies for what Philip Rising, rather queasily, describes as 'A stage fit for the riders to strutt their stuff'

But I should think that Paul Bellamy is getting his excuses ready as I type.

Phillipe has already made the excuses (see post #12 of this thread).

Mind you, I did have to laugh at the excuse that the necessary changes can't be made because of some forthcoming football matches. Have a look at the 'pitch' in the centre...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Phillipe has already made the excuses (see post #12 of this thread).

Mind you, I did have to laugh at the excuse that the necessary changes can't be made because of some forthcoming football matches. Have a look at the 'pitch' in the centre...

Thanks for remembering that.

SADLY because of the drainage and the soccer pitch requirement there won't be many changes to the track from last year.

Just looked at the 'pitch'.

Can any information be trusted?

And I thought all the unbelievable scoundrels were occupied with Thursday!

Edited by Grand Central

THERE to be shot at but really just the messenger. Have just completed the programme for the Finnish GP and in every conversation we have had with the promoters still being told that drastic changes to the shape of the track are impossible because that would require disturbing the drainage around the soccer pitch which they are not allowed to do.

THERE to be shot at but really just the messenger.

Are you really an impartial messenger given that you are (one way or another) in the pay of the organiser? Do you ever actually investigate the veracity of what you get told?

Isn't 'checking your sources' one of the basic rules of journalism?

that would require disturbing the drainage around the soccer pitch which they are not allowed to do.

Well I don't really believe the organisers' claims in that case. I might be persuaded there were concerns about damaging the pitch, if there was actually a pitch to damage, but surely they could cover any drainage to protect it?

Next we'll be told there's a womens' basketball tournament in town... ;)

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

THERE to be shot at but really just the messenger.

Only a good excuse to a point.

I would stop actually being the messenger, though, when I realised I was being told nonsense.

Time and again.

What is your limit?

Only a good excuse to a point.

I would stop actually being the messenger, though, when I realised I was being told nonsense.

Time and again.

What is your limit?

BUT you don't actually know for sure that it is nonsense. Just because you don't agree doesn't necessarily make it so. Ditto you Humphrey...

BUT you don't actually know for sure that it is nonsense. Just because you don't agree doesn't necessarily make it so. Ditto you Humphrey...

Ok ... Leaving aside the concrete 'centre green' at Ratina, for a moment..

Would not just a little, tiny element of cynicism on the part of the messenger be appropriate.

At least now, after recent events.

Must the messenger always take the 'official word' as gospel?

Having watch that video I have low expectation levels for any kind of entertainment next weekend. The corners are still too square, anyone with even the tinniest bit of speedway knowledge can surely see that.

" anyone with even the tiniest bit of speedway knowledge "

I think that may be the job description.
When BSI go looking for a new 'guru' to help them out of the current mire.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Ok ... Leaving aside the concrete 'centre green' at Ratina, for a moment..

Would not just a little, tiny element of cynicism on the part of the messenger be appropriate.

At least now, after recent events.

Must the messenger always take the 'official word' as gospel?

I haven't said it is gospel just what the official explanation is. You and others can make up their own minds. As do I.

Do I think the shape of the track at the Ratina is conducive to good speedway? No I do not. Would I like to see them change the shape of the track? Yes I would. Do I believe that making the track wider and shorter is possible? Short of digging it up myself and looking to see where the drainage is I can only ask the people who are building it and relay their answers.

But you would have to ask why if there wasn't in fact a drainage problem and it wasn't practical they wouldn't change the shape of the track in light of what all the riders said last year. Why invent a problem which doesn't exist when the alternative would present the meeting in a much more favourable light?

No need for all those questions, though.

The track had all these problems last year.

They, apparently, could never be solved.

Good enough reason not to return.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 3

More important is surely the fact that the powers that be promised the track would be better than last year and how they had learnt there lessons (where have we heard that before) now we learn that actually theres nothing they can do so we will just have to put up with the same s**t as last year. Now they must of realised last year when they laid the track that changes wouldnt be possible so either they are liars or even more incompitent than we thought... Edited by phillipsr
  • Like 2

It's all about the money, money, money...

It's becoming a predictable pattern. Crap track or abandoned meeting and the stops are pulled out to deflect the blame and convince the public that 'lessons will be learned', hoping that the suckers will have forgotten by the following year. Because after all, most fans go for the beer anyway, don't they?

The trouble is, it just keeps happening and people are starting to remember what was said the previous year. Now they just need to make the connection that BSI really aren't very good at their job after all.

• Like 3

As long as there is a 5star hotel for the bsi and FIM delegates to freeload on the track doesn't really come into it. You clearly forget for whom the GP series was created for.

Edited by Dekker