British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Well, the test meeting was held on May 2.

Those with a strong stomach can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N07fDgxa7ZA

The racing was clearly dreadful.

But on the positive side the Finnish Officials and riders managed to get through a full meeting.

So they are one up on their SGP counterparts.

Thanks for the link

Second placed Timo Lahti is, rather ominously, quoted as saying "Track was still quite difficult, but hopefully it will be better in GP".

I am unsure if it qualifies for what Philip Rising, rather queasily, describes as 'A stage fit for the riders to strutt their stuff'

But I should think that Paul Bellamy is getting his excuses ready as I type.

Looking at that video they should move the start closer to the first turn. Sort the men out from the boys.

Ah well, what will be will be, at least I'll get to see a whole GP if it's like last year!

THERE to be shot at but really just the messenger. Have just completed the programme for the Finnish GP and in every conversation we have had with the promoters still being told that drastic changes to the shape of the track are impossible because that would require disturbing the drainage around the soccer pitch which they are not allowed to do.

Last year most of the riders did 69+ second heat times at Ratina. Tero Aarnio won the opening heat at the test meeting with 67,4. Hands up who thinks the track is the same shape?

Edited by f-s-p

Gutted. Arrive in helsinki on business the day after this meeting. Had a look at changing flights to travel a day earlier but would cost over 200 quid to change. Schoolboy error not checking the date of this before booking.

If your going on business then surely you can find a way of getting round it and going the day before !!!

Last year most of the riders did 69+ second heat times at Ratina. Tero Aarnio won the opening heat at the test meeting with 67,4. Hands up who thinks the track is the same shape?

Does it matter?What matters is the track gives good racing,not how quick is is compared to last year..........it seems the video of the meeting is hard on the eyes.The proof of the pudding will be what the GP is like.One thing in its favour is it can't be worse than last year or the last GP.....can it?

Edited by iris123

If your going on business then surely you can find a way of getting round it and going the day before !!!

Trip has been delayed to October so its a moot point anyway

Trip has been delayed to October so its a moot point anyway

So that means your free to go, if you want to ..

Kai Laukkanen (one of the promotors) says on Facebook that the track has a new shape and that he's expecting lots of passes ;)

Kai Laukkanen (one of the promotors) says on Facebook that the track has a new shape and that he's expecting lots of passes ;)

Old news.On here a few weeks back and what is he going to say? "we expect the same old crap as last year,but as long as the mugs pay for tickets we are laughing...."

Does it matter?What matters is the track gives good racing,not how quick is is compared to last year..........it seems the video of the meeting is hard on the eyes.The proof of the pudding will be what the GP is like.One thing in its favour is it can't be worse than last year or the last GP.....can it?

The official story has been changing alot since I heard it in mid Dec, but I was trying to highlight the fact that Aarnio had a lap time of two seconds faster than many of the GP heats. It's not the same track, just cant be. Aarnio is a top rider/racer over here, but he's not in the GP. Here's the scores from the test meeting

Juha Hautamäki 3333 12

Timo Lahti 3233 11

Mika Loppi 2323 10

Tero Aarnio 3122 8

Jiri Nieminen 223R 7

Marko Suojanen 1311 6

Niko Siltaniemi 1112 5

Janne Nyman 0122 5

Joni Keskinen 0211 4

Niilo Vuolas 2001 3

Jooa Partanen R00N 0

U really expected Bydgoszxz 2013 like festival of speed and passing with that lot? Really, I should have stopped anyway at hamburg and beat some sense in to U with that chocolate bar...

• Like 1

THERE to be shot at but really just the messenger. Have just completed the programme for the Finnish GP and in every conversation we have had with the promoters still being told that drastic changes to the shape of the track are impossible because that would require disturbing the drainage around the soccer pitch which they are not allowed to do.

This really is fascinating f-s-p. And I genuinely hope you are right.

That the Ratina track will be some sort of Soumi mash-up of of Hyde Road and Owlerton.

After Warsaw, the huddled masses of SGP followers could do with something to lift our spirits.

But I am intrigued by your (reverse) conspiracy theory

From the race times you seem to have unearthed a fiendish plot that proves that the track shape is quite altered and much improved.

And yet the promoters have told everyone that will listen, including the Speedway Star, that they could not do that and have not done that.

Is this some unique form of Finnish public relations?

Edited by Grand Central

Is this some unique form of Finnish public relations?

My sign to shut up again...

• Like 1

My sign to shut up again...

Do you really need a sign? :P