British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Best Pairs Cup

Pretty sure Rory also rode in sec qualifier in Daugavpils last year in the notional GB place

Think if the GPs can use an off duty policeman,then this competition can use an off duty Australian

• Like 2

Good to see that GB entered tho, & hopefully next year will be there at the begining

• Like 2

Good to see that GB entered tho, & hopefully next year will be there at the begining

Imo Schlein instead of a Brit is perhaps not ideal but it is better then not being in at all and Lambert probably got some good experience from riding as well.

• Like 3

Imo Schlein instead of a Brit is perhaps not ideal but it is better then not being in at all and Lambert probably got some good experience from riding as well.

Agree Ghostwalker. Guess problem is that we didn't enter the competition at the start; could've organised the fixture-list around it (& Tai could've done the same)

Good to see BSPA relented tho, bodes well for next year

Can Germany then also use a foreign guest in this SBPC next year, just like TeamGB did this time?

I'd like to see Zagar or Vaculik, or some of the Polish aces riding together with Martin Smolinski for Germany. :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1

Agree Ghostwalker. Guess problem is that we didn't enter the competition at the start; could've organised the fixture-list around it (& Tai could've done the same)

Good to see BSPA relented tho, bodes well for next year

Agreed. Since this is an invitational (not an open meeting) I fully understand that the British riders have to prioritize the British leagues.

• Like 1

Guest WTF1

Can Germany then also use a foreign guest in this SBPC next year, just like TeamGB did this time?

I'd like to see Zagar or Vaculik, or some of the Polish aces riding together with Martin Smolinski for Germany. :icon_smile_clown:

Of course they can apparantly Greg Hancock is fed up with the partner's he get's as he would like to win some more trophies and will even change his name to Fritz Hanscock to achieve this. :lol:

Edited by WTF1

Just imagine if South Africans played cricket for England..

Just imagine if Brazilians played football for Portugal..

Both have happened.

Even in official events we have seen similar things happen.In the 2011 U19 team competition we had a joint Croatia/Slovenia team and then there was the mixed Team Europe!!!!

Check out some of our 1960s World Team Cup teams. :lol:

"The more things change...........

I'm not sure there's ever been an official England team in the World Team Cup, but rather an ACU representative team which included Australia and New Zealand until the mid-70s. I think the FIM officially lists participation as being 'Great Britain' regardless of what the team was actually billed as.

Whilst there were WTC rounds involving 'England', 'Scotland', 'Australia' and 'New Zealand', I think this was to select the ACU representative for the rest of the competition.

Not sure there are any other aberrations, unless you mean Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union which were of course countries at the time?

The World Pairs of course often had B teams to make up the numbers in the qualifying rounds, including Scotland... ;)

• Like 1

Just imagine if South Africans played cricket for England..

Just imagine if Brazilians played football for Portugal..

Not in pretend competitions, not even in friendlies (which are official) but just imagine if it was in a Test Match or a World Cup!

It would never happen!!

Oh wait....

I think the point is they are not playing for those nations because the federation can't be bothered to muster a team up

I'm not sure there's ever been an official England team in the World Team Cup, but rather an ACU representative team which included Australia and New Zealand until the mid-70s. I think the FIM officially lists participation as being 'Great Britain' regardless of what the team was actually billed as.

Whilst there were WTC rounds involving 'England', 'Scotland', 'Australia' and 'New Zealand', I think this was to select the ACU representative for the rest of the competition.

Not sure there are any other aberrations, unless you mean Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union which were of course countries at the time?

The World Pairs of course often had B teams to make up the numbers in the qualifying rounds, including Scotland... ;)

Pretty sure in the 1976 speedway yearbook it gives Neil Street of Australia a test meeting for Yugoslavia!!!!! But wasn't the Daily Mirror Nations thingmy in 1973 an official FIM series and there was the Norway/Demark team in that,just really to get Ole Olsen into the series as there was next to no world class Danes at the time other than Ole.......At least I hope it was an official FIm series and not just British promoters inviting riders over or using team names

Edited by iris123