British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs

There is a Manzes on Deptford High Street, also Goddard's. Both of them are still there.

There was a similar place to Manzes in Deptford High Street many years ago. It was regularly used by the great Australian rider Ron Johnson in the mid-1940s.

There is a Manzes on Deptford High Street, also Goddard's. Both of them are still there.

The one that Ron Johnson used was almost opposite Douglas Way - I think that's Manzes (but as I am making a BSF post most likely I will be wrong!). I have not been in the area for more than 20 years.

As it happens you are wrong. It's Goddard's that's almost opposite Douglas Way. Manzes is on the corner with Lamerton Street.

• Like 2

The one that Ron Johnson used was almost opposite Douglas Way - I think that's Manzes (but as I am making a BSF post most likely I will be wrong!). I have not been in the area for more than 20 years.

As it happens you are wrong. It's Goddard's that's almost opposite Douglas Way. Manzes is on the corner with Lamerton Street.

I thought I would be wrong! As it happens I have never eaten in either of the two cafes - I detest that sort of food!

If you've never eaten there how do you know you detest it?

I thought I would be wrong! As it happens I have never eaten in either of the two cafes - I detest that sort of food!

To be fair to Gustix, he said he hadn't eaten in those two cafes. I'm guessing his dislike of that sort of food, might have come from another source?

Mind you it is minging.

To be fair to Gustix, he said he hadn't eaten in those two cafes. I'm guessing his dislike of that sort of food, might have come from another source?

Mind you it is minging.

I once went on a coach outing to Southend and it stopped off at a 'pie and eel' place for travellers to have a meal. I basically followed by ordering the same food as my companions - when I tried it with that 'white gooey liquid' i wanted to vomit. That's why I know I detest the sort of food that Manzes and others of that ilk offer.

Edited by Guest

I once went om a coach outing to Southend and it stopped off at a 'pie and eel' place for travellers to have a meal. I basically followed by ordering the same food as my companions - when I tried it with that 'white gooey liquid' i wanted to vomit. That's why I know I detest the sort of food that Manzes and others of that ilk offer.

Wot!...jellied eels and liqour. Ambrosia (NOT).

• Like 1

I once went om a coach outing to Southend and it stopped off at a 'pie and eel' place for travellers to have a meal. I basically followed by ordering the same food as my companions - when I tried it with that 'white gooey liquid' i wanted to vomit. That's why I know I detest the sort of food that Manzes and others of that ilk offer.

Was that in the days of the " coach and four" ;)

Is anyone organising a raffle to win a signed copy of Norbold's latest opus?. :D

Was that in the days of the " coach and four" ;)

There always has to be 'an idiot' response. You take the glory today randr!

Living far from London as I now do, I can't say I miss Pie and Mash. I don't miss prefabs though my Grandparents lived in one, and I certainly don't miss Jellied eels. What I do miss is a good plate of Rock and Chips.

Each to their own I guess.The pie + mash trade still seems to be going strong even with the few who don't like it.Unfortunately the same can't be said about London speedway or the fishing industry.Let's all hope the book sells as fast as they can knock 'em out though :t:

• Like 2

I saw the book in my local WH Smiths in Winton near Bournemouth today..................will have to look at getting that on pay day..............

RP

• Like 1

You'll be lucky....be sold out by then :t:

• Like 1