British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs

Thank you, TWK. I am so glad you liked it and that it brought back so many happy memories.

Now to keep my side of the bargain.......

It all began innocuously enough when our Internet at home went down and I could only get on to the Speedway Forum (and every other site of course) by using my work computer. This was some time early in 2002. I reported the fault to BT who sent someone round to investigate. The engineer at first couldn't find out where the fault lay other than it obviously wasn't working. After several days, BT finally discovered that Tendring Hundred Waterworks Company (my then water supplier) had cut through a cable in front of a house five doors away from mine when doing some work there and it was this that was causing the problem, so they said it should be easy to fix.

BT then dug a hole in the road to get at the cable. This was the famous norbold's hole. However, before they could start work, the local Council came round to investigate a hole in their road and demanded that BT put up safety notices round the hole and fence it off. So another day passed while they did this. We were then told by BT that as it was the Water Company's fault they had asked them for a compensation payment before they would start the work. More time while the Water Company arranged a visit. When they did, they denied it was their fault and wouldn't pay.

I can't remember the exact sequence of events after that but, apart from the hole being there, nothing was getting done in spite of further numerous visits from BT, The Water Company and the Council, who all peered into norbold's hole, tutted and went away. During the course of all this, I gave a daily update on the Speedway Forum from work, which, as you can imagine, brought forth many comments, serious, humorous, lewd and any type you care to mention. It was this and the length of time it went on for that made it easily the longest thread seen on the Forum at that time and, I guess, ever since, until the Darcy Ward thread and became quite a cause celebre. Sadly, the thread got lost when the Forum was revamped some years later. I did screen shot and keep some of it, but I've lost that now as well.

The outcome of all this was that it eventually got done something like a month after the hole was first dug. At the time - I don't know if it is still the case - BT paid huge compensation for every day over three days that a customer couldn't receive their Internet services. It was so much that it paid for a four week family holiday to Australia and New Zealand, where, incidentally, I had a great day out with Bob Andrews, who showed me the sites of Auckland, including the speedway track and speedway museum, finishing with dinner with him and Tommy Sweetman.

That, as far as I can remember, is the story of norbold's hole. I don't know if any Forum old timers would care to add anything to the story or their memories of it. Oh, I do still have a photo of the hole.

Incidentally, TWK, as you bought the book on Amazon, is there any chance you could review it on there, pretty please? It does help and would be most appreciated.

• Like 4

Last year a Pie 'n' Mash shop opened in York. It shut after 6 months.

Nowt as queer as Yorkshire folk.

There have been a couple of attempts in Swindon with a sizeable London population from the 50s/60s/70s. Thing is they were in the town centre and not where most of the Londoners lived on the council estates mainly in the east of the town, and soon closed.

Get mine delivered from my old local Manzes of Peckham..luvverly jubbly!

Edited by haydon hat

Thank you, TWK. I am so glad you liked it and that it brought back so many happy memories.

It all began innocuously enough when our Internet at home went down and I could only get on to the Speedway Forum (and every other site of course) by using my work computer. This was some time early in 2002. I reported the fault to BT who sent someone round to investigate. The engineer at first couldn't find out where the fault lay other than it obviously wasn't working. After several days, BT finally discovered that Tendring Hundred Waterworks Company (my then water supplier) had cut through a cable in front of a house five doors away from mine when doing some work there and it was this that was causing the problem, so they said it should be easy to fix.

BT then dug a hole in the road to get at the cable. This was the famous norbold's hole. However, before they could start work, the local Council came round to investigate a hole in their road and demanded that BT put up safety notices round the hole and fence it off. So another day passed while they did this. We were then told by BT that as it was the Water Company's fault they had asked them for a compensation payment before they would start the work. More time while the Water Company arranged a visit. When they did, they denied it was their fault and wouldn't pay.

I can't remember the exact sequence of events after that but, apart from the hole being there, nothing was getting done in spite of further numerous visits from BT, The Water Company and the Council, who all peered into norbold's hole, tutted and went away. During the course of all this, I gave a daily update on the Speedway Forum from work, which, as you can imagine, brought forth many comments, serious, humorous, lewd and any type you care to mention. It was this and the length of time it went on for that made it easily the longest thread seen on the Forum at that time and, I guess, ever since, until the Darcy Ward thread and became quite a cause celebre. Sadly, the thread got lost when the Forum was revamped some years later. I did screen shot and keep some of it, but I've lost that now as well.

The outcome of all this was that it eventually got done something like a month after the hole was first dug. At the time - I don't know if it is still the case - BT paid huge compensation for every day over three days that a customer couldn't receive their Internet services. It was so much that it paid for a four week family holiday to Australia and New Zealand, where, incidentally, I had a great day out with Bob Andrews, who showed me the sites of Auckland, including the speedway track and speedway museum, finishing with dinner with him and Tommy Sweetman.

That, as far as I can remember, is the story of norbold's hole. I don't know if any Forum old timers would care to add anything to the story or their memories of it. Oh, I do still have a photo of the hole.

Incidentally, TWK, as you bought the book on Amazon, is there any chance you could review it on there, pretty please? It does help and would be most appreciated.

You are a Gentleman an a man of your word norbold. Thank you for the explanation - it did make me smile. They are never happy unless they are digging holes in Sunderland - the Road at the end of my Street always seems to be dug up somewhere. They can't fix the potholes though.......................... :mad: :mad:

Of course I will put the Review on Amazon - no problem. :t:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

norbold - I have Posted the Review on Amazon. I hope it is OK for you.

Cheers.

Ian.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

My earliest school memory is half day on Empire Day May 24 1937 with celebration games in the school playground. I knew nothing about speedway then - my nearest track was New Cross but is was football's Millwall and Charton Athletic who held the sports limelight.

As a nipper from nearby Peckham we used to walk to the dogs and speedway at New Cross, occasional visits to the Lions Den, we mainly went to The Valley, then when the Addicks were away it was Dulwich Amlet or any of the other Div 1 teams in the capital, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Am, Spurs, or nearby Palace. Speedway at Wimbledon, West Am, Ackney when New Cross closed. Horse racing at Sandown, Kempton, and the local cricket team Surrey at The Oval. Local rivals Kent sometimes played at Blackheath.

Norbold...how about a follow-up...My Life as A Speedway Fan, reminiscing about all the wonderful meetings you attended.

I'm sure all speedway fans will buy it...I can pre-order my copy now :t:

• Like 2

You know, chr, I never thought of that. Hmmm....could be good, though maybe a bit of a limited market?

p.s.

Norbold...I have just bought a copy of your Tom Farndon book.

Looking forward to a good read.

You know, chr, I never thought of that. Hmmm....could be good, though maybe a bit of a limited market?

Advertise it on the forum and in Speedway Star...soon be on The Times best seller list :party:

• Like 1

Norbold...how about a follow-up...My Life as A Speedway Fan, reminiscing about all the wonderful meetings you attended.

I'm sure all speedway fans will buy it...I can pre-order my copy now :t:

After Pie 'n' Mash and Prefabs - I would buy it. :t:

• Like 2

There have been a couple of attempts in Swindon with a sizeable London population from the 50s/60s/70s. Thing is they were in the town centre and not where most of the Londoners lived on the council estates mainly in the east of the town, and soon closed.

Get mine delivered from my old local Manzes of Peckham..luvverly jubbly!

Jellied eels Haydon do you like em?i had them once with a bloke i worked with i thought they were bloody horrible.

Jellied eels are the devil's work :mad:

I've never had them - and I never will. :shock: :shock: :shock:

YUK!!!

Call yourself an Eastender? Bah!

Call yourself an Eastender? Bah!

Give me Rock and Chips any day...I can't get them in Yorkshire :nono:

Thank you Norbold.............at least I now know what it was about............

Still reading the book (had another to finish first) and enjoying it............

RP

• Like 2