British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs

I used to love Jennings and Derbyshire on the wireless, on television and in the books. I have a complete set of J&D books, many signed by Anthony Buckeridge as I got to know him quite well in later life. He became a friend of my brother's.

Anyway, I can see you'll love the book, TWK! :)

Can't remember Jennings on the radio or TV but I loved the books. I envy you that collection Norbold. I'm fairly certain I wanted to go to boarding school at one point just because of the Jennings books, then I seem to recall watching a documentary about Eton and that put me off.

• Like 1

Can't remember Jennings on the radio or TV but I loved the books. I envy you that collection Norbold. I'm fairly certain I wanted to go to boarding school at one point just because of the Jennings books, then I seem to recall watching a documentary about Eton and that put me off.

You've had a lucky escape.

Believe me - I know.............................................................

I have just finished reading this and really enjoyed it.

My wife was born in Wanstead and grew up in Loughton. We got married in Loughton and had our reception in Epping. I passed my driving test in Chingford and watched my speedway at West Ham and Hackney, so the places Norman mentions have meaning for me.

I used to go to Petticoat Lane with my Grandad in trhe 50's and remember Prince Monolulu.

Thanks for the memories Norbold :t:

• Like 1

Thank you, chr. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That's what it's all about. :)

I spotted 'Pie 'n Mash and Prefabs in my local Sainsburys - I didn't buy it because I live in the North East - not really relevant up here. Perhaps Norbold will enlighten me, unless, of course, he is in his 'Hole'.

I spotted 'Pie 'n Mash and Prefabs in my local Sainsburys - I didn't buy it because I live in the North East - not really relevant up here. Perhaps Norbold will enlighten me, unless, of course, he is in his 'Hole'.

My most "helpful" review on Amazon says, "This book is written with a London emphasis, rightly so. It also extends to other parts of Britain. My experiences as a 50's child in Birmingham take me to similar environments. My Nan had been allocated a two-bedroom pre-fab when WW2 broke out: temporary but permanent as it happened to many. Her Welsh roots were given to her many grandchildren. A cwtch ,(cuddle), came with a story and pie 'n' mash. I never had the chance to ask her the where's and why's it came from. It fitted in with her tales: 11 children and two world wars probably was enough. Her daughter, my 92 year old mother, recollects old tales of London before the Black Country and Birmingham. This book is a marvellous account of those times. Misery and mastery of the culinary arts using whatever was available. The prefab fascinated me. Corrugated iron and plaster, I thought, but within was a home and a welcome. This book captures the times to perfection. Absolutely love it."

So, as you can see, it is relevant to everywhere. If I were you I'd buy a copy, TWK, you'll love it! ;)

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

So, as you can see, it is relevant to everywhere. If I were you I'd buy a copy, TWK, you'll love it! ;)

Quite honestly, "relevance" is totally irrelevant!. As long as it makes good reading, that's all that matters.

Steve

• Like 1

No mention of speedway in that review norbold. Are you SURE the book contains speedway references?

• Like 1

I may well give it a go norbold. :t:

• Like 1

I'll do a deal with you, TWK. You buy a copy and I'll explain the mystery of the hole to you. Can't say fairer than that! :P

• Like 1

I'll do a deal with you, TWK. You buy a copy and I'll explain the mystery of the hole to you. Can't say fairer than that! :P

:party: :party: :party:

You've sold it to me norbold. I will get myself a copy - that's a promise. :t:

You will have to fulfill your part of the deal.

Don't do anything until I let you know that I have the book.

You are on. I will get it sometime this weekend.

:party: :party:

• Like 2

I read your book over the Cardiff GP weekend, Norbold, have finally got around to writing a review of sorts on my Goodreads account. I can never find the dividing line in being too brief or sounding too pretentious!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23398323-pie-n-mash-and-prefabs

Mine was on Kindle, but I have seen it in WH Smith in the shopping centre at the other end of my village (post code S20 7PN) - I reckon that's a lot off the beaten track!

Last year a Pie 'n' Mash shop opened in York. It shut after 6 months.

Nowt as queer as Yorkshire folk.

Thank you for your review, Tigerblade, much appreciated. Glad you liked the book. :)

I have finally read this excellent Book. It really took me back to a far better place. I was worried that living in the 'North' the Book would not be relevant to me. I need not have worried, this is a wonderful account of how things were in my youth and childhood it evokes so many memories..

I recall my first day at School and it was not dissimilar to the events described here. I too can remember the frosted up windows in the Winter. Coal Fires, Marbles, Conkers, Chuck Stones (they are not called that in the Book), Howzat (Cricket Game) all get a mention bringing back memories of happier times.

Radiogrammes, Record Players, the Wireless - Archie Andrews, Round the Horne, What's my Line etc.. Speedway too gets a mention. All of these and lots of other things too have helped to make this Book a real pleasure to read.

I got my copy from Amazon and I am glad I did. I can strongly recommend this Book - I have gone through several emotions reading it.

To sum up - a thoroughly enjoyable read.

EDIT: I nearly forgot norbold - time for me to discover the 'Hole'. :o;):)B)

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2