Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs

Remember the old Abbey National adverts...Get the Abbey habit?

Well, I've got the Norbold habit. having recently purchased "Pie" and Speedway in East Anglia I bought "Tom Farndon" yesterday, and Speedway in London today.

That should get me on to Norbold's Christmas card list :rofl: .

• Like 1

Thank you, chr. I might send you a bowl of jellied eels for Christmas. :)

• Like 2

Thank you, chr. I might send you a bowl of jellied eels for Christmas. :)

They will come right back unopened :party:I wish Farmfoods did rock and chips...you could email me a voucher :rofl: .

Jellied eels Haydon do you like em?i had them once with a bloke i worked with i thought they were bloody horrible.

Bloody vile sid..pie n' mash is superb though.

Don't like jellied eels and neither do I like whelks.On my brief trip to London last week I did go past Manzies on Tower Bridge Rd twice.It was closed at that hour,but was given a mention in my girlfriends german tourist guide to London.We don't have a pie n mash shop in Hamburg,but we do have a Cornish pastie shop that also now sells clotted cream.Like London,we don't have a speedway team either.What we do have is our very own regional speciality that doesn't travel well........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labskaus

Might be the start of a book......

• Like 1

Don't like jellied eels and neither do I like whelks.On my brief trip to London last week I did go past Manzies on Tower Bridge Rd twice.It was closed at that hour,but was given a mention in my girlfriends german tourist guide to London.We don't have a pie n mash shop in Hamburg,but we do have a Cornish pastie shop that also now sells clotted cream.Like London,we don't have a speedway team either.What we do have is our very own regional speciality that doesn't travel well........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labskaus

Might be the start of a book......

That looks bloody awful iris123.

Have you ever tried it?

The big question now is, what about stewed eels? Pick out your eel from the writhing plate of live eels in the shop window, watch the chef drop it into a pot of boiling water and be ready in time to have with your pie 'n' mash. Luvverly!

The big question now is, what about stewed eels? Pick out your eel from the writhing plate of live eels in the shop window, watch the chef drop it into a pot of boiling water and be ready in time to have with your pie 'n' mash. Luvverly!

Wrong on so many levels.............the eels...........pie and mash rocks...........

RP

• Like 1

Actually, RP, joking aside, you're absolutely right and it is undoubtedly a good thing that that practice has been done away with.

That looks bloody awful iris123.

Have you ever tried it?

Only once TWK.Actually wasn't as bad as it looks.But I haven't been back for seconds :D

• Like 1

Only once TWK.Actually wasn't as bad as it looks.But I haven't been back for seconds :D

At least you survived. :t::)

Bumping this one up - the Kindle edition is amongst 250 books in the Kindle spring sale, so will be 99p for a few weeks. Even though speedway only features briefly, it's a great book for those who like a bit of post war social history :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pie-Mash-Prefabs-1950s-Childhood-ebook/dp/B00U58TZD0?ie=UTF8&keywords=pie%20n%20mash%20n%20prefabs&qid=1458816633&ref_=sr_1_1_twi_kin_2&sr=8-1

• Like 1

Just thought I'd mention that, 18 months after it first came out, my book is back up to #31 on the Amazon Kindle best sellers list. :t:

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

I've just received my latest Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs book sales totals. Between 1 Jan and 30 June this year, it sold 976 paperbacks and 3737 ebooks, making a grand total since publication on 5 March 2015 of 11,215 paperbacks and 6449 ebooks - 17,664 copies altogether.

I have to say I think I'm quite pleased with that! :cheers:

Thank you to everyone who bought a copy. I hope you enjoyed it.