British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs

Bumpety Bump again, as it is one of the books in today's Kindle Big Deal.....

• Like 1

Bumpety Bump again, as it is one of the books in today's Kindle Big Deal.....

Thank you, Tb. It's shot up the charts again today!

I've just had my latest Royalties statement for Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs. Between July and December 2016 it sold a further 3305 copies, making a total now since it came out of 20,969.

• Like 1

I now have 'Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs' by Norman Jacobs as one of two book presents to mark Christmas. The other book is ' 'Both Sides Of The Fence' by Reg Fearman.On a cursory glance both look likely to provide many hours of reading time when I can 'officially' start reading them in eight days time. Has any other Poster any idea if either of these books feature aa a possible Christmas present for them?

Edited by Guest

On 17 December 2017 at 9:58 AM, gustix said:

I now have 'Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs' by Norman Jacobs as one of two book presents to mark Christmas. The other book is ' 'Both Sides Of The Fence' by Reg Fearman.On a cursory glance both look likely to provide many hours of reading time when I can 'officially' start reading them in eight days times. Has any other Poster any idea if either of these books feature aa a possible Christmas present for them?

I bought the Reg Fearman book a couple of years ago and it was a good read.

A book I would highly recommend is the Bob Kilby book written by his son Lee.

Incidentally, sales at the end of June had reached 22,011 (and still rising).

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2015 at 5:23 PM, The White Knight said:

That looks bloody awful iris123.

Have you ever tried it?

I will have to have my next order of jellied eels with a side order of Labskaus!!!!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I will have to have my next order of jellied eels with a side order of Labskaus!!!!

Actually there is a link going back to England.The main restaurant selling Labskaus to the rich and famous,is the Old Commercial Room,which is situated on the street named Englische Planke.The street gets its name because a few hundred years ago the English community in Hamburg had a sports ground on the street and because it lies on the banks of the river Elbe when they played ball games,the ball would roll off towards the river,so they put a wooden plank boundary around the ground......B)

https://www.oldcommercialroom.de/

The Anglican St.Thomas Beckett Church lies nearby

Edited by iris123

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:58 AM, gustix said:

I now have 'Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs' by Norman Jacobs as one of two book presents to mark Christmas. The other book is ' 'Both Sides Of The Fence' by Reg Fearman.On a cursory glance both look likely to provide many hours of reading time when I can 'officially' start reading them in eight days time. Has any other Poster any idea if either of these books feature aa a possible Christmas present for them?

Yes John, Reg Fearman is sending Neil Middleditch one for Xmas!

Norbold

I have just finished your wonderful book and your description of your childhood mirrors my own memories, although I was born a bit later than you in 1954.  My first meeting attended was Hackney vs Belle Vue in 1966 and as they say once your hooked. A mate of mines dad worked on the gate and used to let us in for nothing when his boss wasn't around. Don't tell Uncle Len.

I too lived in a "detached bungalow" in Chalgrove Road just off of Morning Lane and partook in the "Food of the Gods" at F Cookes in Dalston. I didn't quite make it to Parmiter's but my brother did and so I had to make do at Upton House instead.

Even if you're not an eastender this a fascinating read in social history and is highly recommended.

• Like 1

Just published today - the prequel to Pie 'n' Mash, "Cracked Eggs & Chicken Soup."

"Cracked Eggs and Chicken Soup" is about growing up in the East End of London, around the Whitechapel and Bethnal Green areas, between the Wars. It is the memoir of my father, who came from a large family and talks about what it was like growing up in poverty during that period.

But as well as being a family story, it is also a social and political history of its time. There is much about the shops and stalls of Petticoat Lane, Brick Lane and surrounding streets, their owners and stallholders. The itinerant street vendors and street entertainers. Also the rise of the Blackshirts and the fear amongst the community, culminating with an eye witness account of the Battle of Cable Street that turned the tide.

But in spite of the difficult times, it is also a story of the love and community spirit of the East End and above all, the book records with affection the area and its people as well as now-vanished aspects of everyday life.

The story is full of hardships but also of the hope and pride that defined the working class families in the slums and Buildings of the East End.

There is even the odd mention of pre-War speedway too!

Edited by norbold
  • Like 2

I greatly enjoyed "Pie and Mash" and have already ordered the prequel-keep up the good work Norbold.

• Like 2