British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs

The 'elsewhere' was indeed the Wimbledon fb site where you jumped on virtually everything that I posted. In the end I just removed everything that I had placed on it. I also left the group because of your continuing attitude towards me.

This is the synopsis for the book on life in East London in the 1950s: I cannot see any reference to speedway in it - but there could be more on the site where it is mentioned?

"The Blitz had made many families in the East End of London homeless. One solution was to erect prefabs on fi elds and open spaces to give temporary accommodation to those who had been bombed out. It was in one of these 'modern' boxes that young Norman Jacobs grew up through the 1950s and 1960s. In a lively, detailed and humorous picture of a postwar Hackney childhood, Norman takes us back to an age of rationing, bomb sites, street markets, colourful characters and camaraderie. And in reminiscing about stodgy school food, jumpers for goalposts, Listen with Mother, greyhound racing, pie 'n' mash, holidaycamps, and the advent of American-style burger bars, he provides a glimpse into a way of life that has vanished for ever. Set against a backdrop of Rock 'n' Roll, the Cuban Missile Crisis and the assassination of President Kennedy, funny, poignant and sometimes sad, Norman's is a story full of innocence and happiness that will take you back to the best of times - the days we thought would never end."

But sadly - they did!! :sad: :sad:

Edited by The White Knight

The 'elsewhere' was indeed the Wimbledon fb site where you jumped on virtually everything that I posted. In the end I just removed everything that I had placed on it. I also left the group because of your continuing attitude towards me.

This is the synopsis for the book on life in East London in the 1950s: I cannot see any reference to speedway in it - but there could be more on the site where it is mentioned?

"The Blitz had made many families in the East End of London homeless. One solution was to erect prefabs on fi elds and open spaces to give temporary accommodation to those who had been bombed out. It was in one of these 'modern' boxes that young Norman Jacobs grew up through the 1950s and 1960s. In a lively, detailed and humorous picture of a postwar Hackney childhood, Norman takes us back to an age of rationing, bomb sites, street markets, colourful characters and camaraderie. And in reminiscing about stodgy school food, jumpers for goalposts, Listen with Mother, greyhound racing, pie 'n' mash, holidaycamps, and the advent of American-style burger bars, he provides a glimpse into a way of life that has vanished for ever. Set against a backdrop of Rock 'n' Roll, the Cuban Missile Crisis and the assassination of President Kennedy, funny, poignant and sometimes sad, Norman's is a story full of innocence and happiness that will take you back to the best of times - the days we thought would never end."

Yes Norbold are you sure there is any Speedway in it? Because if there isn't then this thread should clearly be in general discussions and I'm so glad Gustix has brought this important (potential) oversight to our attention. The BSF has clearly gone to hell in a handcart!!!

• Like 1

How should I know, salty? Gustix probably knows much better than me what's in the book and if he says there is no speedway in it who am I to argue? After all, I only wrote the book.

• Like 4

Yes Norbold are you sure there is any Speedway in it? Because if there isn't then this thread should clearly be in general discussions and I'm so glad Gustix has brought this important (potential) oversight to our attention. The BSF has clearly gone to hell in a handcart!!!

I do not say there is no speedway in Norman Jacobs book - I just draw attention to the fact that the Amazon publicity does not mention this.

How should I know, salty? Gustix probably knows much better than me what's in the book and if he says there is no speedway in it who am I to argue? After all, I only wrote the book.

See my reply in previous Post to Salty. No claim by myself that there is no speedway in the book - just the fact that in their publicity Amazon do not appear to mention there is.

I do not say there is no speedway in Norman Jacobs book - I just draw attention to the fact that the Amazon publicity does not mention this.

See my reply in previous Post to Salty. No claim by myself that there is no speedway in the book - just the fact that in their publicity Amazon do not appear to mention there is,

Read this Amazon information about the book - where is speedway mentioned?

More info here: http://www.amazon.co...s=Norman Jacobs

The author tells us there is a new book that contains a part about speedway and some "expert" is still trying to make himself look like a divvy instead of just giving up,putting on the dunces cap and going off to stand in the corner.

Stupid is as stupid does

Doug? Point out where in the Amazon publicity they mention that there is a reference to speedway in the book: More info here: http://www.amazon.co...s=Norman Jacobs

Edited by Guest

I doubt it very much - Barry Butterworth was a New Zealander. I mentioned him because self-styled expert waiheleaces1 had joined the debate and I remember a debate on Barry Butterworth as a topic we discussed.

I hated pie 'n mash - never touched it so no favourite shop. I did not live n a prefab - no car in the years you mention - I could afford taxis!

Mpst of my memories are all to be found in BSF Post 81 in tis thread - didn't you see it previously? You are slipping up!

actually, i've never claimed to be an expert, and what the barry butterworth thread did was illustrate your inability to read what people type and instead go off on your own tangent

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=78345

Your posts all seem to fit into three categories: 1. Asking ridiculous questions or making outlandish claims (on a tai woffinden thread asking who is the "he" referring to, is mason wear the rider's name or his sponsor, creating a topic and then asking why it would interest you, mike bast is one of the top 20 riders of all time) 2. saying that a thread is in the wrong place 3. Playing the "poor me" card

The thing is, most of us don't know you personally, so we are judging you based on your posts, there is nothing personal. It's just that rather than sharing ypour knowledge, you post a load of rubbish.

If I compare that to Norbold, who most of us also don't know personally - I learn a huge amount from Norbold's posts, and you can debate things with him. I don't recall anyone ever having a go at Norbold, as he posts in an intelligent and respectful manner and i think he is appreciated by all for his contribution to the forum.

Anyway, suggest we all ignore the trolling and let this thread get back to being about pie'n'mash, prefabs and Norbold's hole... oh, and I look forward to ordering and having a read of the kindle version, not normally my type of book but this thread has sparked my interest (does the book also reveal the secret story of Norbold's hole?)

• Like 2

Your posts all seem to fit into three categories:

1. Asking ridiculous questions or making outlandish claims (on a tai woffinden thread asking who is the "he" referring to, is mason wear the rider's name or his sponsor, creating a topic and then asking why it would interest you, mike bast is one of the top 20 riders of all time)

2. saying that a thread is in the wrong place

3. Playing the "poor me" card

1 That was because the Poster did not clarify he was talking about the defacto Aussie rider!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto

2 Where do you rate Mike Bast then?

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=125

3 I have been around speedway too many years to be a "poor me"! See message 81 matey!

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=78725&page=6

Edited by Guest

See my reply in previous Post to Salty. No claim by myself that there is no speedway in the book - just the fact that in their publicity Amazon do not appear to mention there is.

Read this Amazon information about the book - where is speedway mentioned?

More info here: http://www.amazon.co...s=Norman Jacobs

Doug? Point out where in the Amazon publicity they mention that there is a reference to speedway in the book: More info here: http://www.amazon.co...s=Norman Jacobs

So what? So what if the publisher's blurb for my book doesn't mention speedway? I have told you that speedway in the 50s and 60s gets mentioned in the book. Do you not believe me? Why do you think I would lie about that? And if you do believe me why are you going to such lengths to try and cast doubt on what I've said? I really don't understand what your problem with my opening post is?

Why don't you buy a copy and see for yourself?

• Like 1

So what? So what if the publisher's blurb for my book doesn't mention speedway? I have told you that speedway in the 50s and 60s gets mentioned in the book. Do you not believe me? Why do you think I would lie about that? And if you do believe me why are you going to such lengths to try and cast doubt on what I've said? I really don't understand what your problem with my opening post is?

Why don't you buy a copy and see for yourself?

I don't disopute in any way that you mentioned speedway in your opening Post. I always take you at face value on here - unlike some of the others who put forward their offerings!!

My view is that the Press Release I quote does not mention speedway - hence there is limited field (just on here) who are aware of this. Had this been mentioned in the Amazon PR guff it could possibly have attracted interest from speedway supporters outside the BSF remit who are unaware of the sport's inclusion in your book.

Can I be more specific than that? I wish all success to your book - as I have others with GOOD publicity where possible over the years. Norman - come down off your high horse please.

Edited by Guest

My word Norbold, reading your book is bringing my childhood memories flooding back. The cigarette card games, marbles, the freedom to roam etc..

We are close together in age and though I grew up in the London Borough of Havering, my Mother, my Grandparents and other family members were all East enders.

Us boys played British Bulldog and a game whose name I never saw written down, but sounded like Hi Jimmy Knacker.

We used to make "barrows" out of planks of wood and old pram wheels, with rope on the axle for steering. Going downhill most boys would sit and steer with their feet. The mad ones, me included would lie face down and steer with our hands.

57 years ago...where has it all gone?.

• Like 1

Come off it John,you was being a silly bugger on there as well.Your attitude to the Kent v Wimbledon challenge meeting upset a few and then you ended up threatening to delete all your posts.Big deal..I noticed if I posted something about Billy Lamont or someone then you'd have to post something on the same rider the day after.......and you took offence at mild comments such as the photo of Tony Clarke where all I said was "he was a controversial rider having spent time inside for pinching bikes off a fellow rider" or the Poole foto when I said "two Poole legends and Neil Middleditch" :lol: Blimey you are a strange one if you get all stroppy at those comments

Edited by iris123

My word Norbold, reading your book is bringing my childhood memories flooding back. The cigarette card games, marbles, the freedom to roam etc..

We are close together in age and though I grew up in the London Borough of Havering, my Mother, my Grandparents and other family members were all East enders.

Us boys played British Bulldog and a game whose name I never saw written down, but sounded like Hi Jimmy Knacker.

We used to make "barrows" out of planks of wood and old pram wheels, with rope on the axle for steering. Going downhill most boys would sit and steer with their feet. The mad ones, me included would lie face down and steer with our hands.

57 years ago...where has it all gone?.

I remember similar old games: scooters made with ball racer wheels, 'speedway' tracks chalked on the road for the scooters to race on - I was always "Geoff Pymar" as I recall. Then there was 'Knocking down Ginger', and even - 'nurses and doctors' (I bet many on here didn't play that one!}. A golden past now long forgotten by so many. Hide and seek was yet another great game - and often "we declared war on the kids in the next street"!

I don't disopute in any way that you mentioned speedway in your opening Post. I always take you at face value on here - unlike some of the others who put forward their offerings!!

My view is that the Press Release I quote does not mention speedway - hence there is limited field (just on here) who are aware of this. Had been mentioned in the Amazon PR guff it could possibly have attracted interest from speedway supporters outside the BSF remit who are unaware of the sport's inclusion in your book.

Can I be more specific than that? I wish all success to your book - as I have others with GOOD publicity where possible over the years. Norman - come don off your high horse please.

This whole discussion started because you asked why this topic was in "Years Gone By". Doug pointed out my op. You countered this by quoting the Amazon blurb which doesn't mention speedway as though this backed up your questioning of why this topic should be on a speedway thread rather than "General Discussions." You have now come up with a different reason why you quoted the blurb, which seems to be framed in a supportive way in that had speedway been mentioned I might have made more sales. All I can say to that is that the book is 288 pages long and covers many subjects. It would be absolutely impossible to include everything covered in the book in a short blurb.

However, I think it's time we drew a line under this. So I'll say thank you for your good wishes for succes to my book. Thank you and thank you for all your past support for my books with your excellent reviews. I really have appreciated your support.

• Like 1

This whole discussion started because you asked why this topic was in "Years Gone By". Doug pointed out my op. You countered this by quoting the Amazon blurb which doesn't mention speedway as though this backed up your questioning of why this topic should be on a speedway thread rather than "General Discussions." You have now come up with a different reason why you quoted the blurb, which seems to be framed in a supportive way in that had speedway been mentioned I might have made more sales. All I can say to that is that the book is 288 pages long and covers many subjects. It would be absolutely impossible to include everything covered in the book in a short blurb.

However, I think it's time we drew a line under this. So I'll say thank you for your good wishes for succes to my book. Thank you and thank you for all your past support for my books with your excellent reviews. I really have appreciated your support.

Yes, I agree Norman. Time to move on. No more comment from me on the book - that's a promise!

Edited by Guest

I remember similar old games: scooters made with ball racer wheels, 'speedway' tracks chalked on the road for the scooters to race on - I was always "Geoff Pymar" as I recall. Then there was 'Knocking down Ginger', and even - 'nurses and doctors' (I bet many on here didn't play that one!}. A golden past now long forgotten by so many. Hide and seek was yet another great game - and often "we declared war on the kids in the next street"!

Did you make your own bows and arrows to play cowboys and indians, sharpening the points on the kerb edge?. It's a wonder we did not kill anyone.

I used to ride my bike as fast as possible on wet grass and try to broadside, failing dismally every time. In my mind I was Mike Broadbank

I look back at my children's primary school years in the 80's and can't help but feel mine was more rewarding.

Did you make your own bows and arrows to play cowboys and indians, sharpening the points on the kerb edge?. It's a wonder we did not kill anyone.

I used to ride my bike as fast as possible on wet grass and try to broadside, failing dismally every time. In my mind I was Mike Broadbank

I look back at my children's primary school years in the 80's and can't help but feel mine was more rewarding.

My earliest school memory is half day on Empire Day May 24 1937 with celebration games in the school playground. I knew nothing about speedway then - my nearest track was New Cross but is was football's Millwall and Charton Athletic who held the sports limelight.