British Speedway Forum

a fireman once told me that,,, statistically, more green vehicles were involved in accidents in 'rural areas', as they were harder to see against hedgerows,,, and a suppose your 'double unlucky' if there's a John Deere tractor coming the other way, cos he wont see you and you wont see him, bugger :-(

• Like 2

Wasn't it dubbed "RACING GREEN" I think it's a great colour for older sports cars....

See Tsunami's Post below.

I am not a F1 fan but I doubt that is true. During the days of say Vandwall ? British cars were BRITISH RACING GREEN, and from memory we seemed to do OK then. The change to multi colours, British or not, has more to do with brand colours and owners IMO.

Perhaps someone like Lucifer can comment on this, being a F1 fan.

It has been my dream for over fifty years to own a 1937 'Bentley' in that Colour. Royal Flying Corps Flying Helmet, Goggles and Silk Scarf. I have the Silk Scarf.

With a Union Flag on the side of course.

Sadly it will never happen - but we are all allowed to 'Dream'.

British Racing Green dates back to before the First World War: it is actually Irish, after the Ulster TT races.

I can only think of the following when it comes to green in Speedway:

1) When the Speedway World Cup was relaunched by the FIM, for the first few years, there was a fifth rider in each heat, which wore a green helmet colour.

2) All 3 British leagues replaced the white helmet colour with green, just for Sky TV's betting service's benefit a few seasons ago.

3) Simon Wigg

4) Thomas H. Jonasson

5) The best Speedway pundit ever, Jonathan Green.

Green featured heavily in the old Exeter race colours, never seemed to be a problem

Seemed to terrify a fair few opposition riders when they had to travel down Devon way

1) When the Speedway World Cup was relaunched by the FIM, for the first few years, there was a fifth rider in each heat, which wore a green helmet colour.

2) All 3 British leagues replaced the white helmet colour with green, just for Sky TV's betting service's benefit a few seasons ago.

3) Simon Wigg

4) Thomas H. Jonasson

..and the Aussies!! :t: No worries.

I am not a F1 fan but I doubt that is true. During the days of say Vandwall ? British cars were BRITISH RACING GREEN, and from memory we seemed to do OK then. The change to multi colours, British or not, has more to do with brand colours and owners IMO.

Perhaps someone like Lucifer can comment on this, being a F1 fan.

Yes, F1 cars used to be coloured by the nationality of the team:

British = Green

Italian = Red

French = Blue

German = Silver

F1 was dominated by Italian and German teams to begin with, but then the late 50s saw the rise of the British teams. Vanwall, Cooper, BRM, Lotus, Brabham (Jack Brabham was Australian, but the team was British), etc. I think nearly all, if not all, of these had green liveries.

I think the progressive Colin Chapman at Lotus was the first owner in F1 to land a big sponsor and change the colour of the car. Late 60s I think.

But the green cars dominated F1 for a decade.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Yes, F1 cars used to be coloured by the nationality of the team:

British = Green

Italian = Red

French = Blue

German = Silver

F1 was dominated by Italian and German teams to begin with, but then the late 50s saw the rise of the British teams. Vanwall, Cooper, BRM, Lotus, Brabham (Jack Brabham was Australian, but the team was British), etc. I think nearly all, if not all, of these had green liveries.

I think the progressive Colin Chapman at Lotus was the first owner in F1 to land a big sponsor and change the colour of the car. Late 60s I think.

But the green cars dominated F1 for a decade.

All the best

Rob

Thanks. I knew you would be useful one year. :P

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

3) Simon Wigg

4) Thomas H. Jonasson

You forgot :

6) Wally Green

7) Richard Green

8) Greenford Speedway

9) Centre green

Steve

The much missed Harringay Stadium was in Green Lane.