British Speedway Forum

How about this for an idea.

Every October from season 2016 the new National Stadium to stage the British Leagues Riders Championship.

The ELRC and PLRC to be held in September each year and to be jointly staged as Championships in their own right, and qualifiers for the BLRC.

The top 8 from the ELRC, top 6 from the PLRC plus 2 Wildcards to make up the field for the BLRC.

Any thoughts?.

Of course, we could do a "1965" and amalgamate the 2 leagues which would give us a proper BLRC. It would also give every track a meaningful season with 20 Home and 20 away league meetings. Back in 1964 when the NL was in single figures, as the EL is today, it reinvigorated British speedway.

If you watch your speedway in Glasgow you may rarely see EL riders. Similarly, if you watch your speedway in Poole you may rarely see PL riders. A 21-team BL would mean every supporter gets to see every team and every rider at least once during a season. It also opens up the season for local derbies, regional cups and individual meetings with riders from a more localised area. This should mean increase gates.

A BLRC meeting with riders from 21 teams (a new format would be needed) should attract a bigger gate than the EL meeting representing only 8 clubs.

I expect to get shot down in flames for being stuck in the past, but I am sure you could a very good crowd for a 21 rider meeting, held at the new National stadium, with all 21 teams represented.

I think one big league is the way to go, and scrap a lot of these pointless Micky Mouse competitions that the PL seems so keen on. If that doesn't happen, I wouldn't support your first idea, as good Elite League riders would be giving way to lesser riders.

You would have the top scorer from each EL team. The 2 wildcards could be the 2 highest CMA EL riders outside the 8 already qualified, as it is possible the No. 2 from a couple of teams are better than the No. 1 from a couple of teams.

The 6 PL riders could be the top 6 in the averages, which may not be the No.1 from each of the top 6 teams.

However, I do favour one big league as I feel the EL is in it's death throes.

Of course, were we to have a 21 team league in 2016, nobody knows for sure which teams would be competing, who would ride for them and who the likely top scorers would be come October. If a 21 team league had been in operation for 2014 the possible line-up for the October BLRC could have looked like this:

Zagar

Andersen

B. Pedersen

Iversen

Doyle

Watt

Ward

Kildemand

Pawlicki

Cook

Tungate

King

K. Bjerre

L. Bjerre

Barker

Kennett

Nicholls

Harris

Janowski

Batchelor

Woffinden

A great 21 rider field, a new format with more races for your money and held at the National Stadium (Manchester...the spiritual home of the BLRC).

This could be a better night out than the British GP and if it attracted only a quarter of the Cardiff gate, would make it the best attended meeting in Britain outside the GP.

What's not to like?. :party:

Of course, were we to have a 21 team league in 2016, nobody knows for sure which teams would be competing, who would ride for them and who the likely top scorers would be come October.

If there was one big league, it would have to be at Premier League level, so not GP riders for a start.

Why?. One big league in 1965 with all the top riders. It was the place to be with 17 teams if I remember correctly.

If all the WC contenders did it then, why not now?.

Why?. One big league in 1965 with all the top riders. It was the place to be with 17 teams if I remember correctly.

If all the WC contenders did it then, why not now?.

because there weren't top class domestic leagues in poland and sweden in 1965.

With an 8 team el, surely the logical thing is simply top two from each side, which if all riders are available should generate a decent lineup.

Well, I seem to be in a minority here. Surprising though given some of the negative comments about British speedway elsewhere on the forum.

Surely I can't be alone in thinking the whole speedway scene in Britain needs a shot in the arm. :nono:

Well, I seem to be in a minority here. Surprising though given some of the negative comments about British speedway elsewhere on the forum.

Surely I can't be alone in thinking the whole speedway scene in Britain needs a shot in the arm. :nono:

Your not don't worry about that.

I would merge merge both leagues and hope likes of Birmingham, Eastbourne etc step back up and then i would create the best north/south divide possible.

Race against teams in your region home and away and just one meeting against the other region home or away (it would alternate each season)

Then you would have your north champions v south champions in a playoff for overall league title.

Like it.

15/16 teams in each Region. Keep costs down and maybe attract more visiting fans. Have the North/South play-off Final at the National Stadium.

As with most good ideas, it will not happen.

Surely fantasy ideas belong in the ideas section and not in a section which is about promoting real meetings? :neutral:

The British League was a fantasy pre-1965 Iris, as was the BLRC.

Fantasy ideas can become reality if enough people share the idea.

If the EL and PL merge then a BLRC will become a real meeting.

Thanks for your input Iris as I always enjoy hearing from you.

:cheers: