British Speedway Forum
Truro Robin

Speedway In Cornwall

As a Swindon fan exiled in Cornwall, I wondered if anyone had any info on the possibility of speedway returning to Cornwall. I know there was some talk about Bodmin as a potential site a few years ago, but it all seems to have gone quiet.

Hi Truro Robin

like you im now living here but from Oxford, It used to be a hotbed with Nanpean and also within reasonable distance, Exeter.

As far as Bodmin goes, the National Trust put the spanner in the works there , More recently there was also talk of Fraddon at the Moto Park but that also seems to have gone deathly quiet............

Hi Truro Robin

like you im now living here but from Oxford, It used to be a hotbed with Nanpean and also within reasonable distance, Exeter.

As far as Bodmin goes, the National Trust put the spanner in the works there , More recently there was also talk of Fraddon at the Moto Park but that also seems to have gone deathly quiet............

That's a pity. I used to enjoy trips to watch Exeter and St Austell/Trelawny. Always seemed to have good crowds at Trelawny, so it was a big shame when it had to close.

• Like 1

Hi Truro Robin

The prime mover for the Fraddon site is now the co-promoter at Plymouth, so you can probably forget Fraddon. Looks as if the Devils are your only likely option.

I believe persons including current Plymouth Co- promoter Ashley Taylor are keeping an eye on any potential new site for a track in Cornwall!

• Like 1

I believe persons including current Plymouth Co- promoter Ashley Taylor are keeping an eye on any potential new site for a track in Cornwall!

That's what I heard - Looking to train youngsters, so they can eventually join Plymouth in PL. Makes sense as the nearest NL track is probably Birmingham, and the travel could discourage many potential riders. Wish them the best of luck

I see the laser treatment has worked wonders 25yearfan!

• Like 4

There is a potential site at Fraddon pretty much all the paperwork has been completed, there has been tipping going on on the site to get it flat, that still has a little way to go yet because the tipping licence (Yes you have to have a licence) ran out before all the necessary flattening had been done. It is very close to a site that the much missed Restormel council recommended when Trelawny closed Only trouble was their site was covered in that grass that grows on marshes and it had full size elecrfic pylons right across the middle of the site Meantime come to PLymouth for super racing and help us to afford to open the new track.

Shame we cant get any of that many millions Cornwall Coucil want to apend on a new 6000 seater stadium for a football club rhat attracts 400 and a rugby club rhar attracts 1000 the developers were not interested in speedway get us 250k of that and we couild start in 2016 in a nice comfortable compact stadium with on site parking

Edited by barncooseboy
  • Like 3

I see the laser treatment has worked wonders 25yearfan!

I pressed a wrong button somewhere along the way!

Like a few other defunct speedway hotbed areas its criminal that Cornwall hasn't got a speedway track and team as it would attract viable crowds!

I heard on friday from someone who represents a large local :drink: company with involvement in the Cornwall Stadium development that the council have now 'kicked Fraddon into touch'. :sad:

I heard on friday from someone who represents a large local :drink: company with involvement in the Cornwall Stadium development that the council have now 'kicked Fraddon into touch'. :sad:

That would be a shame if that's the case. Barncooseboy's post seemed to give a glimmer of hope. I will have to get along to Plymouth when the finances allow.

Can anyone explain exactly where The Trelawney trach was please? I didn't have the pleasure of ever watching speedway in that area but keen to know where it actually was. Cheers.

Apologies. I meant track!

The trelawny track was at nanpean near st. Austell. Even though I've been attending speedway for over 40 years at over 100 tracks, trelawny must be up there with the best. A great little race track hidden in the clay mines, next door to a blue lake. Quite an unbelievable place to watch speedway, and a venue I will never forget.

• Like 3

Thanks Cityrebel. I'm rather envious now! Was the track similar in size to Plymouth?

Very similar in size to plymouth, a fast flat out racers track. I saw emiliano sanchez break the trelawny track record against Sheffield in 2002. Surprisingly it was never beaten, considering the likes of zagar and Harris were riding there every week!

• Like 1