British Speedway Forum
daveallan81

Rider Id: Mason Wear

I have two programmes from 7th April 1989 Glasgow v Newcastle and both have this fellow listed in a second half heat. I certainly don't remember him as a Glasgow junior, perhaps in town with the Diamonds? I can't find any mention of him in the 1990 yearbook and the internet is coming up blank. Does anyone recall him?

The clue might be in the title.Well that is what the majority of people would assume.........

What is the rider's name please. Or is that what you want to know?

• Like 1

[quote name="gustix" post="2588063" timestamp="1427017938

I now understand the rider's name to be Mason Wear - I originally thought that was the name of a sponsor company! :oops:

How do you do it Holmes, excellent deducing there. I had it down to five suspects who the mystery riders id was but you beat me to it

• Like 2

Well we can only assume that I have it right. But Doug has not jumped back so we can assume - for the time being at least - that Mason Wear is the name of a rider and not the title of a sponsor company?

Assumption is the mother of all cock ups. I will continue my investigation till we get a firm id

Is he/she wearing glasses?

Edited by Oldace
  • Like 2

Assumption is the mother of all cock ups. I will continue my investigation till we get a firm id

Yes do that.I am sure there must be a firm that makes aprons for Masons.Then again there might be a firm that makes ware for Masons which might make things harder.I can't recall a rider wearing a leather apron or an Orange sash when riding though.I thought the Masons were more involved in marching and football than in speedway.Sure John will sort it all out in the end with the help of his mate Rob Mason,who will tell him whether or not he done a couple of meetings in Glasgow back in 1989 :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1

Sometimes I get the feeling John is having a competition with two short planks........the man who in a thread entitled Tai Woffinden asked who a poster was talking about :icon_smile_clown:

Oldace - I tried ro send a message to the openingl poster

daveallan81

but he has a block for me on that facility! I guess we'll just have to wait for his comment on here. Sorry about that.

Doug you have cocked up your elaborate reply - trying to be too clever eh? :oops:

Typo John.On my laptop the 'b' + 'n' are next to each other.Sorry

Edited by iris123

Oldace - I tried ro send a message to the openingl poster daveallan81

but he has a block for me on that facility! I guess we'll just have to wait for his comment on here. Sorry about that :oops:

Ok John no problem, i will hold off with my enquiries until we get a further lead from daveallen81

All this could have been avoided if the op made it clear who he was referring to couldnt it

• Like 1

You again Doug! I think that's a standard setting for keyboard type faces - not just your one! :icon_smile_clown:

Just looked up Ron Mason,John.By my reckoning he would have been around 73 in 1989.Think that might have made a bit of news if he had taken to the track again,don't you? :icon_smile_clown: So I guess you were right with your assumption....obviously not Ron Mason

Edited by iris123

Just looked up Ron Mason,John.By my reckoning he would have been around 73 in 1989.Think that might have made a bit of news if he had taken to the track again,don't you? :icon_smile_clown:

Its all we have to go on at this stage though. Ron Mason is in the frame here, get him pulled in for a little chat

Its like the sweeney this aint it

• Like 1

Maybe it was Karl Mason, John?The rider who rode for Exeter in 2002.He would have been 3 years old then,so it is possible mate :rofl: Not sure why you would think a 73 year old would be riding at Glasgow in 1989......

• Like 1

Ron Mason was a pre-war Harringay rider and rode for Belle Vue post-war. He also rode for England in post-war test series in Austraia. Mason was a personal friend of the Parker brothers Jack and Norman, Besides speedway, Mason was also a successful race horse owner and trainer. He passed away in the mid-1990s.

There is little likelihood that Ron Mason had any links to the rider names as Mason Wear.

Ok we will rule him out then in light of this new evidence, which wally suggested him in the first place

• Like 2

So,to sum up our investigation so far:we are not sure whether in the Glasgow programme a riders sponsor would be listed instead of the rider himself.That seem possible as I have loads of programmes where the rider isn't named,but just the sponsor.What we seem to have found out is that Ron Mason wasn't the rider as he was by then 30 years retired.Hope that helps Dave.Be sure to get in touch with gustix if you are confused

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

As OP daveallan81, has blocked me from having message contact with him, I am considering putting the messages I have responded with as HIDE. No point in trying to provide answers to somebody who shuns your help.

Interesting definition of the word "help".

I would be careful Gustix, there is a guy on this forum who is always moaning about threads being taken off topic, you might fall foul of him.

• Like 1

. The HIDE factor of my Posts is still under consideration BTW!

Can you hide posts that have been quoted John?Must admit I have never tried

Sadly you cannot, but they lose a lot of impact when called up IMO. :lol:

Didn't think so.......never mind John you have made us laugh for a few hours anyway :icon_smile_clown::rofl: