British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn V Lakeside Tues 31st Sky 7.30

GRW123, how often do you visit other tracks? If you compare the standard of racing at Lynn over the last three seasons (2011 was very good) with the entertainment at P'boro, Scunny, Somerset, Plymouth, Wolves etc you will see that it's pretty poor at Lynn. Something isn't right.

• Like 2

Here we are, 15 years on from when SKY first started showing live speedway, and the total product is so discoloured. We have the same tired format used by SKY, the endless build-up to try to make what is about to happen seem really exciting and unmissable... and then we have the next two hours of bore-fest, the only exciting of whether the SKY studio would escape the winds or if the majority of the wafer-thin turn-out would be survive the next few days and collect their pensions.

SKY decided to wait another three weeks to show the next live match, a decision that may be risky. Will the sport still exist then? Or is it a growing realism by them that they have paddled the sport as far as they are prepared and we are now at the beginning of their final attachment to speedway? The Match-Of-the-Week may indeed turn out to be a Match-of-the-Month...

It ain't looking good.

• Like 2

Seems to confirm that with the Elite League we are watching a £10 sport.

Last night was further confirmation that Elite League speedway is a £10 spectator sport.

• Like 1

Seems to confirm that with the Elite League we are watching a £10 sport.

Last night was further confirmation that Elite League speedway is a £10 spectator sport.

Not according to Pearson & Tatum 'The Elite League is quality in 2015'. :rofl:

Any news regarding Lewis kerr?

• Like 1

Here we are, 15 years on from when SKY first started showing live speedway, and the total product is so discoloured. We have the same tired format used by SKY, the endless build-up to try to make what is about to happen seem really exciting and unmissable... and then we have the next two hours of bore-fest, the only exciting of whether the SKY studio would escape the winds or if the majority of the wafer-thin turn-out would be survive the next few days and collect their pensions.

SKY decided to wait another three weeks to show the next live match, a decision that may be risky. Will the sport still exist then? Or is it a growing realism by them that they have paddled the sport as far as they are prepared and we are now at the beginning of their final attachment to speedway? The Match-Of-the-Week may indeed turn out to be a Match-of-the-Month...

It ain't looking good.

15 years on and they STILL have not learned that presenting meetings live on TV with about 5 people in camera view spectating does nothing but DAMAGE to the sport.

It doesn't matter one iota if the racing is fantastic (the fact that it wasn't and often isn't makes it worse), if nobody is watching it.

The impression it gives to Joe Public is, no point going there.

The majority of the public are like sheep.. if they see lots of people doing something, they want to do it themselves. One of the most basic concepts of all and yet the dimwits in charge STILL haven't worked it out.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 4

On a more positive note, I'd just like to say a big well done to Rob Lambert. For a lad of 16 that was incredible whatever you think of the track conditions.

I'd also like to say well done to Ashley Morris. To go back to a track where he had such a bad accident last year and pile a few points up was very courageous. Well done Ash and may you have a great and injury free season.

• Like 5

The fact that the riders say how good Lynn's track is, for me, says the track is good. I don't want to see riders bashing through ruts and holes and looking as if they might crash and injury themselves. BUT, last night was a factor of 2 things for me...

1. Lakeside were useless! AJ could only manage 1 decent race when he made a start and he's meant to be their star number 1 rider. Buster and the track staff can do NOTHING about that. If you don't have the bike set up right, or haven't got your head on it properly, then you'll never over take someone who has got the right set up i.e Mr Lambert.

2. Today's bikes are just about speed! I've started to notice this over the past year or so, but everyone just seems to be intrested in getting their bikes to go as fast as they can. Its great for the riders, because they score more points and pick up more coin. But for the paying spectators, it becomes so dull watching follow the leader. To me, thats what F1 is all about now, If you've got the fastest car you win more often than not. Even when the best riders in the country are in town (Rooboys testominal and the world cup being 2 at lynn) there seemed a lot of FTG wins.

So what can be done? Slow the bikes down? Is that possible?

All i know, I'll always watch speedway as I love and enjoy watching any form of it. But there certainly seems less passing now than ever before, and the excitement of that is what gets spectators through the door!

The fact that the riders say how good Lynn's track is, for me, says the track is good. I don't want to see riders bashing through ruts and holes and looking as if they might crash and injury themselves. BUT, last night was a factor of 2 things for me...

1. Lakeside were useless! AJ could only manage 1 decent race when he made a start and he's meant to be their star number 1 rider. Buster and the track staff can do NOTHING about that. If you don't have the bike set up right, or haven't got your head on it properly, then you'll never over take someone who has got the right set up i.e Mr Lambert.

2. Today's bikes are just about speed! I've started to notice this over the past year or so, but everyone just seems to be intrested in getting their bikes to go as fast as they can. Its great for the riders, because they score more points and pick up more coin. But for the paying spectators, it becomes so dull watching follow the leader. To me, thats what F1 is all about now, If you've got the fastest car you win more often than not. Even when the best riders in the country are in town (Rooboys testominal and the world cup being 2 at lynn) there seemed a lot of FTG wins.

All i know, I'll always watch speedway as I love and enjoy watching any form of it. But there certainly seems less passing now than ever before, and the excitement of that is what gets spectators through the door!

There's another thread on the forum, in news and discussions I think, and it's about the silencers. It seems that the power is now delivered differently and it's not as responsive as it used to be. I think they say that there's a time lag between opening the throttle and the power kicking in. That must make it difficult to control. Make interesting reading (if you're into that kind of thing)

2. Today's bikes are just about speed!

The clue is in the name of the sport which is SPEEDway....................... its not Slowway or even FourRidersGoingAtTheSamePaceToMakeItAllNice&Evenway. !!!!

• Like 1

Any news regarding Lewis kerr?

Yes Pearson and Tatum have actually realised it was him in ht2 & not Lewis Rose

• Like 1

Lets dissect this one.

Have a problem? Well yes, its you. See your signature. It's a pathetic dig. But time and time again we see a dodgy Lynn track on Sky and you defending. Quelle surprise here you are again.

It was more than "one rider comes off" - the track was poor. How many times in 15 heats did we actually see a rider pass enough because he was better? You admit yourself on this occasion it was, "processional". What?! So was it good ro bad? You have a go at me for saying it's bad then describe it as "processional" - thats out of the starman book of "disproving your own argument". Now despite the meeting being "processional" we saw half a dozen passes because riders were making mistakes, EL riders making mistakes, Jonsson, Bech and Nilsson - all capable riders, all SWC riders for proper speedway Nations so World Class riders all making mistakes and letting Lynn riders through.

Woah, don't turn this on other tracks. Other tracks don't have someone like you who constantly comes on here and in the face of a crap meetings tells us the track is brilliant. Doesn't have the team captain tell us no Sky before a meeting how great the track is before producing that dirge. You're right, there are plenty of other crap tracks but we all know that. We don't keep on about how great and wonderful they are.

Frankly, I don't care how many holes and track does or doesn't have. How much shale. How much water. The weather. The trackmans inside leg measurement. I base a good track on one where there is passing because the passing rider has sued his skill to pass the rider in front of him. It's a long time since I've seen that from a meeting at Kings Lynn. It's got to the point a meeting from Kings Lynn on Sky now makes me think, "meh, so what" rather than the "brilliant I thought years ago. But many people have been critical of Poole and Coventry many times over. It's know they both have serious issues, we don't come on here defending the indefensible.

Lynn was NOT "smooth and consistent" yesterday. LMAO. If you're going to post lies like that then there is little point in conversing. Did you see how the top class riders were struggling with bend 2?

As for the last line. The track was the same for everyone but to Lambert credit he is the one rider who never once looked like he was struggling with it. He just carried on as normal, very impressive.

Spot on. I think you have just articulated what a number of forum members have been thinking for some time. A handful of KL fans are starting to suffer from Shovlar-Starman disease except for the fact that the sun apparently now shines from Busters posterior rather than Matt Fords.

• Like 1

the track was fine, it was good for early season and 70mph winds, it was an ill conceived match to show with a putrid away team ( eastbournesque) that never do owt when its a fast racing strip.

its about time these technical awkward tracks like lakeside thought more about away form that packing the side full of homers tbh.

Still can't let Eastbourne go. Not in the Elite League any more but can't resist twisting the knife one more time.

Join the revolution.

The National League is where speedway is in the UK

Spot on. I think you have just articulated what a number of forum members have been thinking for some time. A handful of KL fans are starting to suffer from Shovlar-Starman disease except for the fact that the sun apparently now shines from Busters posterior rather than Matt Fords.

Oh no it doesn't!!!! :D:rofl:

• Like 1

In last years EL final, Janowski overtook Hans And Harris in one race, so it can't be just the bikes are different and it wasn't because the Poole track was full of holes and as i have said the racing at Peterborough was always exciting and i suspect it still is.

Edited by foreverblue