British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 67

Issue 67 of the bi-monthly Backtrack retro magazine is out now and the full colour, 56-page edition includes . . .

CYRIL CRANE INTERVIEW

One of the most controversial and outspoken characters of his time, Cyril Crane built two speedway tracks (and another one that was ruled illegal!) in the east of England with his own hands. In this typically forthright interview with Tony McDonald, the long-serving former King's Lynn and Boston co-promoter, now almost 80, is still calling a spade a spade.

JOHN McNEILL INTERVIEW

One of the best riders and most intriguing characters to emerge from Victoria state in Australia in the mid-70s, guitar-playing John McNeill recalls the night injury denied him a serious crack at the national title. In part one of his revealing interview, he also looks back with Rob Peasley on a British career that spanned eight teams, brought him a league winners' medal with Cradley Heath and a memorable victory over his boyhood idol.

WHO COULD BOOST BRITISH SPEEDWAY?

We invite our readers and supporters everywhere to respond to this question:

Q: If you could bring back one former rider (in his prime) to inject new life into modern speedway, who would it be - and why?

FOOTBALL AND SPEEDWAY

Speedway and football clubs have been uneasy bedfellows through the years when most stadiums were multi-purpose arenas. But the endless links between these two starkly contrasting sports and the people involved in them are undeniable. In this report we examine those connections and interview promoters of Glasgow and Berwick, the only two remaining tracks that share their homes with the No.1 national sport.

GEOFF MALONEY INTERVIEW

A fire fighter who attended some of the nation's biggest disasters, a window cleaner, a chimney sweep and one of the top riders produced by British League Division Two, at the age of 70 former Rayleigh and Hackney favourite Geoff Maloney looks back with Keith McGhie on an interesting career on and off the track.

TONY COUPLAND - Team Manager's Tales

In part two of his interview with Andrew Skeels, straight-talking former Middlesbrough team manager Tony Coupland recalls more tales from the days when he had a hard job taming his Tigers .

BIRMINGHAM BRUMMIES: 50 MEMORABLE MOMENTS

Looking back on the turbulent history of the Brummies, including past heroes and stars Graham Warren, George Major, Arthur Browning, Phil Herne, Soren Sjosten, Hans Nielsen, Kelly Moran, Andy Grahame, Doug Wyer, etc.

KLAUS LOHMANN INTERVIEW

As a young rider, Klaus Lohmann spent less than three full seasons in England with Halifax and Sheffield. But as the likeable Dane explains, he faced a bigger challenge off the track when struck down by MS in his early twenties.

OPENING TIMES - Mildenhall v Scunthorpe, 1975

As Mildenhall Speedway celebrates its 40th anniversary, we talk to a few of those involved in the first official meeting at the West Row raceway in May, 1975.

ANDRZEJ HUSZCZA INTERVIEW

After riding for Zielona Gora in the Polish league for an unbroken 30 years, Andrej Huszcza fully deserves the title of Mr Loyalty. Vitek Formanek interviews the former Leicester, Hackney and Reading man.

GLASGOW'S 'HAZY HEROES'

Doug Nicolson looks at Glasgow and Coatbridge Tigers' shadowy and at times almost mythical riders who earned their place in local folklore . . .

Plus...

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO . . . DARREN HARTLEY?

WSRA ANNUAL DINNER/DANCE PHOTO COVERAGE

COLLECTING with speedway artist STEVE IRVING

And many classic, evocative photos from the 70s and 80s that simply ooze nostalgia!

To order this single issue or to subscribe, please visit www.retro-speedway.com

Received my second issue just the other day, moving through it nicely The Cyril Crane interview and I also have read the Geoff Maloney info as well.

This is my first subscription of Backtrack, and am glad I took someones advice in paying my subs.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard 'OveFundinFan'! Hope it brings you enjoyment and rekindles many happy memories - that's our aim.

Got my copy today - I was worried I wouldn't get it until after Easter - and as good a read as ever. Really enjoyed the "Hazy Heroes" feature - some great memories and names there.

However,...... a couple of questions.

Surely Klaus Lohmann suffers from ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) not MS?

The Halifax team pic on Page 45 names Graham Plant as standing between the Lohmann brothers. Would love to know who it is (Paul Sheard?), but I'm fairly certain it ain't Planty.

• Like 1

Superb Magazine yet again. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I was really looking forward to Part Two of the Tony Coupland Interview and I was certainly not disappointed.

On the lighter side - I also learned to pronounce the name of Andrej Huszcza - something I could never do years ago and couldn't until I read this Article. Thank you for that.

Another success Tony - roll on the next one.