British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

'tich' Read Rip

TICH READ

SAD to report that former Norwich favourite Tich Read has died today, aged 84.

Tich had been ill for the last couple of years, spending time in hospital and in a care home.

Although never a world-beater, he made history by winning the last-ever meeting at his beloved Norwich, the Supporters Trophy, on October 31, 1964, before the Firs Stadium closed. The final meeting there was run on a handicap basis.

Tich, from Skeyton, near Norwich, spent one other season with the Stars, in 1958.

He had previously ridden for Ipswich from 1952 to 1956 and returned for further spells with the Witches in 1958 and 1962.

In 1963 he and his great friend and neighbour Trevor Hedge rode together in the same Hackney team. Tich was Best Man at Trevor and Pam Hedge's wedding.

Former Hackney PRO Tony Hurren recalls: "Tich was very popular at Hackney in the '63 season. He was a full throttle merchant and his favoured wide racing line meant he knocked down the fence a few times!"

Hurren revealed that Tich has never been known in speedway circles by his unusual real name of George Snailum.

"I spoke to Tich about this a couple of years ago," says Hurren. "I have always known him as George but he explained to me that his real surname was Snailum. But he said: 'I couldn't possibly ride speedway under that name!'

"He confirmed that Read was, in fact, his mother's maiden name. I think he gave himself the nickname 'Tich'."

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

So sorry to hear that. As well as seeing him ride in his Hackney days, I met Tich several times in later years at various functions and while researching. He was always good company and very helpful. R.I.P. Snailum.

• Like 1

When I was a kid in short trousers Tich was a hero at Foxhall. A round teh boards merchant, full throttle just inches from the crowd. tiny in stature but with a massive heart.

Fabulous to watch always giving every race total dedication and courage.

Later he starred at other Southern tracks.....a modest and pleasant man whom I had the pleasure of meeting some years ago.

Thanks Tich, you gave me and thousands huge pleasure and to this day your name is famed around these parts.

• Like 2

Before my time so I never saw him race but was always a name my parents would mention and was one always warmly welcomed back at Foxhall on those reunion nights so have been aware of him during my speedway education growing up.

Condolences and best wished to his family and friends.

A great entertainer on track and hopefully his record of winning the last ever official speedway meeting at Norwich will be broken one day!

• Like 1