British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Lakeside V King's Lynn 03/04/15

I think that hits the nail on the head. Lakeside is an aquired taste. I didn't like the place for years and wouldn't go there but soon after the present promotion took over I decided to give it another try on the off chance, someting clicked with me and I have enjoyed it ever since.

I think a lot of speedwáy is about perception.

P.S. West Ham was the best track in the history of the universe, but being young and seeing the sport through youthful eyes was good as well.

your point regarding west ham and the eyes of youth describes me to perfection!. As for lakeside, I think the track surface has deteriorated over the last couple of years. It seems worn out with very few racing lines and needs relaying.

P.S. West Ham was the best track in the history of the universe, but being young and seeing the sport through youthful eyes was good as well.

I assume that you mean best 'stadium' in the history of the Universe? I think the best 'track' accolade went to a particular place not a million miles away from Custom House; just over in Waterden Road, E15! ;)

Even my parents admitted it; and they were West Ham die-hards; from its opening through to its sad closure.

Agree about the youthful eyes though. Sitting here now, I can hardly think of ever having a bad night out at Hackney.

As far as Lakeside is concerned. It is what it is. I too hated the place when it opened - plastic sticks as a perimeter marker and flat as a pancake - no possibility of overtaking around the outside without drifting out onto the tarmac car circuit. However, the track has improved greatly under the current promotion. It's far from perfect but they do what they can with the money available, and within their rented accommodation. Track-wise - over the past few years, I've seen more close racing/passing at Lakeside than any other circuit apart from Wolves. That includes quite a few visits to nearby Brandon as a neutral.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 2

I think that hits the nail on the head. Lakeside is an aquired taste. I didn't like the place for years and wouldn't go there but soon after the present promotion took over I decided to give it another try on the off chance, someting clicked with me and I have enjoyed it ever since.

I think a lot of speedwáy is about perception.

When I watched regularly at Custom House and visiting places like Wimbledon, Hackney and Ipswich they always seemed kind of small and quirky, as you say it is all about perception.?

Funnily enough I never had that with Romford my Thursday night track, perhaps because I spent half the night ducking.

I do not know what I would have made of New Cross and Walthamstow but I bet it would have been a shock to the system.

• Like 1

your point regarding west ham and the eyes of youth describes me to perfection!. As for lakeside, I think the track surface has deteriorated over the last couple of years. It seems worn out with very few racing lines and needs relaying.

The track was good for 15 heats last week against Leicester with lots of overtaking. I just think with the forecast of rain all week very little water was put down and there was only the one line which was the inside, with no grip anywhere else.

Whether it is the perception of youth, but all tracks are remembered as big tracks. West Ham will always be remembered that way, probably because the bikes were slower and it took longer to get round. Went there many times but always to see Big meetings. Semi-finals and finals....

Disappointed to hear the comments about no showers at Lakeside. In this day and age that is totally unacceptable. Christ, we had showers facility 50 yrs ago when playing football. To have a situation like that now, asks many questions about the sport and the Promotions. Are they penny pinching, are they existing on a breadline budget, whatever the reason, you cant expect class riders to travel the world, to ride over here, and not have the opportunity of a shower.

If the finances can't afford the necessities, the sport doesn't have much future......... Very worrying......

More than happy with Steve's performance if he rode for us again there would be no objections from me.

I'm think (not 100%) sure he's guesting at Swindon for you on Thursday in place of Birks.

• Like 1

As far as I was aware there was or used to be showers? Not sure I would use them though, probable cold water, but hey these are big hard speedway riders :icon_smile_clown:

As the promotion do not own the facility I think it is difficult. I agree what I have seen of the facility it leaves a lot to be desired. In this day and age a grant from sport England could help or think out of the box and share some other local facility for a small charge!

I'm think (not 100%) sure he's guesting at Swindon for you on Thursday in place of Birks.

Should be interesting to see how the the lad goes on a big track!

As far as I was aware there was or used to be showers? Not sure I would use them though, probable cold water, but hey these are big hard speedway riders :icon_smile_clown:

As the promotion do not own the facility I think it is difficult. I agree what I have seen of the facility it leaves a lot to be desired. In this day and age a grant from sport England could help or think out of the box and share some other local facility for a small charge!

Should be interesting to see how the the lad goes on a big track!

Very good round Peterborough for rye a couple of weeks back, dropped 1pt from 3 rides then a 2M exclusion in his other.

Very good round Peterborough for rye a couple of weeks back, dropped 1pt from 3 rides then a 2M exclusion in his other.

Swindon different kettle of fish to Peterborough 29yds longer and longer straights, different shape I believe? Still should give a good idea of his progress/flexibility!

Interesting Statistic Arena 275yds, (Small), Peterborough 367yds (medium ?), Swindon 396yds (large) Custom house 415yds (Big) 450yds (original pre Jack Young) The change in shape at custom House helped the racing so, as I say to the missis it's not all about size!

If there is some doubt about the longer term future of the stadium - as some have rumoured - then I can't see any investment in new or upgraded facilities?!! Having said that, showers should be an absolute minimum requirement.

If there is some doubt about the longer term future of the stadium - as some have rumoured - then I can't see any investment in new or upgraded facilities?!! Having said that, showers should be an absolute minimum requirement.

So what's Poole's excuse? He was complaining about no hot showers there either !!!

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 4

Swindon different kettle of fish to Peterborough 29yds longer and longer straights, different shape I believe? Still should give a good idea of his progress/flexibility!

Interesting Statistic Arena 275yds, (Small), Peterborough 367yds (medium ?), Swindon 396yds (large) Custom house 415yds (Big) 450yds (original pre Jack Young) The change in shape at custom House helped the racing so, as I say to the missis it's not all about size!

Best example I could get from this season I'm afraid, scored well at Berwick last year.

So what's Poole's excuse? He was complaining about no hot showers there either !!!

To be honest the changing rooms they use at lakeside are a joke anyway, don't know if that's the same for all clubs, don't think they have been touched in 20 years. Elite league speedway you say.

Not sure whether the showers have been nicked as scrap by visiting gippos watching the banger racing on Sundays; but there certainly used to be showers in the changing rooms? And just to add that they normally get a coat of paint before each season starts. Changing room maintenance, cleaning them out each week, along with the bogs, etc. (not the nicest of jobs!) all falls down to the often-forgotten heroes of Lakeside Speedway...........namely, the track staff.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

I remember seeing the changing rooms a few years ago when doing a ride and slide day, was quite shocked at the state of them, no idea what some of the riders thought of them especially the likes of Andreas Jonsson who must be used to having something decent, personally I would not use them for fear of being more dirty than when I started, I think you will find cleaner facilities at a tier nine footy ground than that.