British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve0

Swindon Robins Vs Poole Pirates 3/4/15

I live 2 miles from the track and the rain stopped at 9am and it was then pretty much dry all day until 6.30 when it peed down. If it had been called off at 9am then everyone would have been on here all day moaning that it was dry outside and it shouldn't have been off.

• Like 1

i echo some comments on here.. call it off early people moan... :nono: ..... call it off late.. people moan.... :nono:

In that case call it off in the middle and no-one would moan :lol:

• Like 3

Well sodding said! You really cannot win with some of these experts on here there were two differing forecasts yesterday not really sure what the club were expected to do other than just make an effort to get he meeting on...which they did!

Shame the Market wasnt open as Starman could have got himself a nice tacky fleece with either Elvis on the rear or a Red Indian

They do a nice line of padded silk jackets with eagles on the back and front! Unfortunately just sums some speedway fans up. No point moaning about the weather the forecast is rarely right, Pity some fans had to travel a fair distance. Well done for re-arranging the meeting for Monday.

I live 2 miles from the track and thought no way is this meeting going ahead tonight.

Rare you get more than 50-100 Poole fans turn up at Blunsdon, and same with Coventry. The away support is generally poor thesedays and some teams only bring 10-20 at the most..no atmosphere at speedway now.

Edited by Ronnie Conkerman
  • Like 1

No txt for me think thats a bad show

No txt for me think thats a bad show

I can understand why people who made the journey to Swindon for the match yesterday will have felt angry and frustrated that it was called off apparently quite late in the day. As a member of the track staff who had been there since 8.30am (two members of the staff had been there for most of Thursday as well getting as much done as possible), I can tell you that we tried out utmost to get the meeting on. The track was in good condition, one puddle on the main staright apart, throughout the morning. By the time that the greyhounds had finished the sky was brightening and it was warming up (slightly). The weather forecasts that we consulted were very contradictory - rain thoughout the afternoon - no rain until 5pm - no rain until 10pm. We watched the clouds and the wind direction and, by mid afternoon, as the riders began to arrive, I was sure we would be OK.

Most of the riders seemed surprised by the state of the track and vans were unpacked. And then the drizzle started, a drizzle that steadily grew heavier and heavier. The track surface started to shine and after an hour's worth of rain it was clear that the meeting could not go ahead - it would have been a mudbath.

I can tell you, that going around, unpinning the air fence, at 6pm in the pouring rain, just about finished it for me and the rest of the lads who'd battled all day to get the match on. Soaked to the skin, aching from a full day's work and frustrated by not a single wheel turning, it was a day that will not linger long in my memory.

We could have called it off at 9am. It was raining then and the weather forecasters were saying that it would rain on until 4pm. If we had given in we could all have spent a day with our families, or even in work. You can't win!

All I can say is that we tried - that's everyone involved with Swindon speedway. We tried to get a meeting on but were beaten by the weather - sorry!

• Like 6

I can understand why people who made the journey to Swindon for the match yesterday will have felt angry and frustrated that it was called off apparently quite late in the day. As a member of the track staff who had been there since 8.30am (two members of the staff had been there for most of Thursday as well getting as much done as possible), I can tell you that we tried out utmost to get the meeting on. The track was in good condition, one puddle on the main staright apart, throughout the morning. By the time that the greyhounds had finished the sky was brightening and it was warming up (slightly). The weather forecasts that we consulted were very contradictory - rain thoughout the afternoon - no rain until 5pm - no rain until 10pm. We watched the clouds and the wind direction and, by mid afternoon, as the riders began to arrive, I was sure we would be OK.

Most of the riders seemed surprised by the state of the track and vans were unpacked. And then the drizzle started, a drizzle that steadily grew heavier and heavier. The track surface started to shine and after an hour's worth of rain it was clear that the meeting could not go ahead - it would have been a mudbath.

I can tell you, that going around, unpinning the air fence, at 6pm in the pouring rain, just about finished it for me and the rest of the lads who'd battled all day to get the match on. Soaked to the skin, aching from a full day's work and frustrated by not a single wheel turning, it was a day that will not linger long in my memory.

We could have called it off at 9am. It was raining then and the weather forecasters were saying that it would rain on until 4pm. If we had given in we could all have spent a day with our families, or even in work. You can't win!

All I can say is that we tried - that's everyone involved with Swindon speedway. We tried to get a meeting on but were beaten by the weather - sorry!

I'm sure all speedway fans across the country appreciate the time an effort put in by track staff and promotions trying to get a meeting on so you will hear no criticism from me. If you are a speedway fan a rain off is part of the sport sadly it is dictated by weather conditions. I understand it is annoying but no one is at fault.

Edited by Custom House Kid

Well done you and the othr unpaid volunteers for giving up your time for free matey!

Under the circumstances, you and the rest of the ground staff did the best you could ghcooke - so thanks for trying to give us a speedway meeting.

Here's hoping for a rain free meeting on Monday!

Well done to you and the other men/women,its people like yourself that keep speedway going the weather won again thats nature.I am glad it was off i am not interested in watching follow the leader and the greater risk of a rider getting injured. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Well ten out of ten for all your hard work

Agree with above, many thanks for your and the volunteers hard work G Cooke.

The sad tale of our soggy efforts at Blunsdon yesterday is available here: http://blunsdonblog.co.uk/?page_id=9000

Ghcooke one of many unpaid, unsung heroes of the sport. Giving it the personal touch will help us all remember the sacrifices people make and give lots of us pause for thought before criticising on/off decisions ...

Should have watched the weather forecast Starman!!! You could have saved all that petrol money & moaning :nono:

I'm going on Monday when it won't rain... :party: well, let's hope it won't!

Moaning, you show me where I was moaning ?

I'm sure the people of Poole all turn up at 6pm for a 7.30 start for home meetings too!

They do, but you wouldn't know that