British Speedway Forum
markyb

Coventry Stadium - The Promotion Men Vs Boys !

I wonder why? Financial reasons...?

Last time I went to stock cars it was £19 so just a bit more than speedway.

We go to every speedway meeting and take the kids so guess some of it is personal preference.

Stock cars place some good adverts in the paper round our way...they make it look exciting and attractive to take the kids....the problem I have with stock cars is that when you are there, and I've been a couple of times, it's bloody boring !...even speedway at its worst is better in my opinion but other people maybe feel different...

But it's not just in the UK...I've watched plenty of meetings in Australia and people seem to prefer the sprintcars, speedcars and sedans than the solo speedway even when all on the same bill on the same night and if a demolition derby is put on then the crowd was heaving.....no accounting for taste

I think speedway has to re define itself as a dangerous, extreme sport and place adverts that emphasise this...try to go down that road and try and appeal to an X Games type of crowd....not easy when it's staged in old stadiums with not much crowd or atmosphere but it's the route they should be trying to go down.

Well, if having 12+ races of 25 - 35 competitors in a race instead of 4 and 15 - 20 laps of action each race rather than 4 and for £2 - £3 cheaper admission fee is classed as boring by yourself, then thats fine, but judging by the crowds at the meetings, there's a LOT of people who don't agree with you.

Trouble is many more people have the taste for stocks and bangers than speedway by the sound of it, at Lynn the place is packed to the rafters for four wheeled action.

Why should it be "trouble" that "more people have the taste for stocks and bangers than speedway" then?....when the product on offer is much more exciting and better value then people will naturally prefer to spend their hard earned money there. It's up to those in charge of Speedway to do something about it to make the racing more exciting and value for money. I enjoy BOTH forms of racing but I have absolutely no doubt about which one of the two provides better value and excitement!!.There were at least 5 times more people at the Stock Cars on Saturday night at Lynn than last Tuesdays Speedway meeting and even though I never saw Buster there (he often is), I bet he would have been wishing he got even half that size of a crowd at all the Stars meetings.

Edited by ytsejam
  • Like 2

I wonder why? Financial reasons...?

Yes, no way could they afford 4 speedway meetings and a stox meeting all in one month.

£19 to get in

Loads of top cars

3 formula racing

Most cars cost more than a Speedway bike (Ministox £3k/£4k for a new motor - Rebels £3.5k to £5k for a car - F1 Stox £££££££££lots + trailers transporters etc )

Top amateurs who race for little return but for the love of what they do

Sponsored in some part, mainly out of there own pocket or own business

Big crowds (because people like the product)

People moan about admission price, price of food etc all as normal!!!!

But we must ask ourselves why the crowd flock into this and not Speedway?!?!? (Speedway would be elated to get this type of crowd numbers)

It runs on Saturday night? more racing? more action? more atmosphere? better product? value for money?

I do not know what the answer is? but Speedway will seem a little flat after watching last night (and I like Speedway!)

Answers on a Postcard to BSPA

It also blows away the theory that speedways apologists trot out that people wont watch speedway because its in a decaying dilapidated stadium. Seems people are happy to watch stocks at Brandon but not speedway ..

• Like 4

It's full of the drivers' families, friends and neighbours innit 😊

Why should it be "trouble" that "more people have the taste for stocks and bangers than speedway" then?....when the product on offer is much more exciting and better value then people will naturally prefer to spend their hard earned money there. It's up to those in charge of Speedway to do something about it to make the racing more exciting and value for money. I enjoy BOTH forms of racing but I have absolutely no doubt about which one of the two provides better value and excitement!!.There were at least 5 times more people at the Stock Cars on Saturday night at Lynn than last Tuesdays Speedway meeting and even though I never saw Buster there (he often is), I bet he would have been wishing he got even half that size of a crowd at all the Stars meetings.

Agree with everything you say, I used the word trouble in the context of replying to Trees who is passionate about her speedway. The way the sport is run in the UK needs a total rethink but I don't see it happening unfortunately. Edited by Gordon Bennett

Well, if having 12+ races of 25 - 35 competitors in a race instead of 4 and 15 - 20 laps of action each race rather than 4 and for £2 - £3 cheaper admission fee is classed as boring by yourself, then thats fine, but judging by the crowds at the meetings, there's a LOT of people who don't agree with you.

some people get excited watching ballet . doesn't mean everyone does . those who do can see the skill and beauty of the dancing, those who don't just think it's boring , just like watching Stock cars . Judging by the crowds at world stock car finals 6,000 is it ? .it would appear that there are around 5,000 fans in total who travel around ,

It's full of the drivers' families, friends and neighbours innit

Dont

Speedway riders dont have any friends or family then?

Yes but many don't bring them to evening meetings! Not many riders race for their local club either so friends probably don't attend.

How many cars race in a banger or stock car meeting?

Edited by Trees

Agree with everything you say, I used the word trouble in the context of replying to Trees who is passionate about her speedway. The way the sport is run in the UK needs a total rethink but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

Fair play Gordon, sorry I misinterpreted your message.

some people get excited watching ballet . doesn't mean everyone does . those who do can see the skill and beauty of the dancing, those who don't just think it's boring , just like watching Stock cars . Judging by the crowds at world stock car finals 6,000 is it ? .it would appear that there are around 5,000 fans in total who travel around ,

That's a bit of a blinkered "head in the sand" statement! ("it would appear that there are around 5,000 fans in total who travel around"). It's fine that you don't like the racing but there's no need being ridiculous about it! :)

Edited by ytsejam

And in the same period (had it not rained) you had 24 planned speedway meetings. So thats 1 stock car meeting for every 8 speedway meetings.

err.. i dont think there were 24 elite league meetings- broadly the equivalent of f1 stox. There are f2stox superstox and banger type meetings all over uk certainly more than 24 over the weekend. Dont comment unless you know what youre talking about!

I went to stock cars once . after the initial novelty of all the noise and bluster wore off . I think about 10 laps in. I began to see it for what it really is .. not a lot . I think if overpowered cars driven round and round in circles by Gipsy scrap yard owners is what floats your boat , and it appears there are many whose boat it does float, since the terraces are often littered with the skin off their knuckles at the next speedway meeting , then all well and good . the damage they do to the track surface is more than offset by the revenue they bring in ,which helps keep the gates open for entertainment that requires a little more skill and a support base that has a bit more between it's ears

How very ignorant!

You can get a couple of good speedway meets in a year but so many today are processions. And THAT is boring.

Edited by ovalfan
  • Like 1

How very ignorant!

You can get a couple of good speedway meets in a year but so many today are processions. And THAT is boring.

To be fair that's very ignorant and total rubbish aswell. Edited by woz01

To be fair that's very ignorant and total rubbish aswell.

Fair comnent i should have said in the elite league. Better racing in the premier!

Fair comnent i should have said in the elite league. Better racing in the premier!

Really?

It does amuse me how people claim the EL is just the PL with one extra ride and others (and some times the same) claim the PL is better.

Is watching Craig Cook vs Sam Chapman really that great? Now the biggest gaps in the EL will be between the top second strings and bottom reserves or the bottom second strings and top heat leaders. Most EL races have riders of the same standard in, the PL just mashes everyone together.

Where the PL gains is that is has tracks like Somerset, Scunthrope and Sheffield - all known as good tracks. A good track and riders of a similar level will make the best racing.