British Speedway Forum
Bryn

I Wonder Why....

There was certainly no champagne handed up onto the rostrum by the Poole Management to Coventry in 2010; when they won the league title. Quite ironic really as the terms 'alcohol-free' and 'Wimborne Road' don't really go hand in hand these days, do they.

Mind you, the fireworks were cancelled as well...........and one bloke in particular causes most of them too.

As for the boozing aspect. I think that the alcohol tests are performed pre-meeting. I don't think the customary few swigs is going to cause much of a problem - most of it gets sprayed everywhere but down their throats. Quite right too - it's bloody awful stuff.

• Like 2

or Old Speckled Hen!!

What's this?...Free Old Speckled Hen!. Lead me to it. :party:

Car racing would be far better if they put the fastest cars at the back. That would be far more interesting over 70 odd laps as opposed to now where I believe sometimes happens that the fastest car leads for 70 odd laps, start to finish. Is that racing?

Car racing would be far better if they put the fastest cars at the back. That would be far more interesting over 70 odd laps as opposed to now where I believe sometimes happens that the fastest car leads for 70 odd laps, start to finish. Is that racing?

You need to watch Touring cars then. They do something similar to that (but quite confusing, to do with drawing a number and reversing the grid from that position) plus they give the better cars a weight handicap.

currently 1.24 a bottle in my local Tesco - nearly free!

Over rated, brewed for fell walking types. Big boots, socks, beards, H&E magazines. :shock:

Edited by pugwash

Over rated, brewed for fell walking types. Big boots, socks, beards, H&E magazines. :shock:

'OI!!!

I used to be a Fell Walker. A good few years ago now I'm afraid. I never got the H&E Magazines though. :o:blink:

Never mind champagne, why do riders drink Monster Energy? It tastes bloody awful. I tried it out of curiosity to see what a boost it would give me & it didn't make a jot of difference to my energy levels. I then tried Red Bull & had heartburn for 2 days. Now I see all the kids necking the stuff & they seem to be more lathargic than ever. A pint of snakebite would gee them up a notch.

Never mind champagne, why do riders drink Monster Energy? It tastes bloody awful. I tried it out of curiosity to see what a boost it would give me & it didn't make a jot of difference to my energy levels. I then tried Red Bull & had heartburn for 2 days. Now I see all the kids necking the stuff & they seem to be more lathargic than ever. A pint of snakebite would gee them up a notch.

Give me a decent Single Malt any day. :t::approve: :approve:

• Like 2

Have to agree with the so-called 'energy' drinks.

Back in the day of course, there was only Lucozade (Original) - apparently to give you energy and get you better. As it tasted worse than the medicine you'd been prescribed, it often appeared to do the trick. Maybe it was just purely psychological.

These days, the only thing I've tasted, and believe me once was enough, is Red Bull. It smells like a kid that's thrown up after a party; having eaten too many sweets. Absolutely vile stuff.

• Like 3

Back in the day of course, there was only Lucozade (Original) - apparently to give you energy and get you better. As it tasted worse than the medicine you'd been prescribed, it often appeared to do the trick. Maybe it was just purely psychological.

These days, the only thing I've tasted, and believe me once was enough, is Red Bull. It smells like a kid that's thrown up after a party; having eaten too many sweets. Absolutely vile stuff.

Yes I know what you mean about the smell, a very good description. I started drinking Lucozade Sport when I started cycling & I couldn't stop peeing. I stopped drinking it & was back to normal If you can call staring at a wall for 5 minutes with a tap running for assistance normal.

• Like 1

Given the fact that nowadays it's regarded as a real 'no-no' for riders to let alcoholic beverages pass their lips, I do indeed wonder why the top three in any Individual meeting are handed bottles of Champagne as they stand on the podium! ;):)

It's just tradition isn't it but maybe with so much PC about now it may well change in the near future.

You will notice that Tai Woffinden never actually drinks the stuff and anything he does put in his mouth he usually spits straight back out or sprays in the air.

I am sure I saw posters of lucozade & speedway years ago ? Did they sponsor a British final or something

Gary Havelock on them I think