Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

British U21 Final, Coventry, 14/04/15

I'm a traditionalist too, but you could argue that in some ways this format is fairer in that a rider who wins 4 heats but has an EF or controversial exclusion in the other can still win the title.

Anyone think the 82 world final would have been interesting if carter and penhall had to meet again in a final?

Great point that would of been great i would of gone for Carter 1982 could of changed Carter's life.?

I'm a traditionalist too, but you could argue that in some ways this format is fairer in that a rider who wins 4 heats but has an EF or controversial exclusion in the other can still win the title.

Anyone think the 82 world final would have been interesting if carter and penhall had to meet again in a final?

33 years later we still all talk about that race and have an opinion on it (and I wasn't born for another 2 years!). Would that be the case if it had been a qualifying heat and Penhall had been able to happily sit in 3rd place knowing he was still going to make the final? Or even if they had crashed, just another heat and both would have made the final anyway so wouldn't have mattered.

I can see it both ways. Personally, in a one of meeting I'm not a fan.

But would have Carter and Penhall been going hell for leather in Heat 14, had they both been going through to a semi-final or a final? It's the most talked about speedway race of all-time and you're wishing it away? ;)

It's likely that a final race would have been won by Les Collins, who beat both Penhall and Carter in the meeting. Apart from making a hash of his thrid ride, Collins looked too fast for his main rivals in his other races.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

I say NO to semis and finals, race-offs, play offs etc.

The old system was not broke so which bright spark fixed it?.

As far as I'm concerned Lambert won.

I BET YOU'RE GUTTED THAT RIDERS HAVE PROGRESSED ONTO LAY DOWN ENGINES WITH 4 VALVES, CDI IGNITION AND ALL THAT. WHAT EVER NEXT ,RACING SUITS NOT MADE OF LEATHER ?.. TIMES AND RULES MOVE ON .. EVOLUTION THEY CALL IT.feel really sorry for robert if only he was around 20 years ago, he would be champion.

Not at all as I am all for progress and evolution.

Howarth and Lambert both had 6 rides. Both had 5 wins and 1 second place.

How is Lambert any more deserving?

Well done to both of them. Two bright British prospects from what we've seen so far this year.

I have no allegiance or preference to either rider but to say a rider who reels off 5 wins in an individual meeting isnt deserving of the title is a strange comment.

the rules are the rules though and everyone knew there would be a final but on the night Lambert was probably more deserving.

However well done to Kyle Howarth great little rider

The thing that has struck me about Lambert, is that he rides like an old hand a thinking rider brilliant with awesome throttle control.I can remember seeing him in a race on sky when he team rode he looked like he had been riding for years.I would love him in the WTC squad now,my six would be Tai, Scott( got to persuade him? superb this year a true Brit ) Harris, Lambert,Lawson,Howarth.

i agree with those riders you mention.

Call me biased being an Ipswich fan but king is in good form and if Scott decides he still doesnt ride then i would put King in. Though has to be sadi Stead has never let his country down

FINAL Sat 02.08 : Bydgoszcz, Poland Ref : Jim Lawrence (GB)

Denmark 38, Poland 37, Australia 36, Great Britain 16

Tai Woffinden 12, Chris Harris 4, Simon Stead 0, Danny King 0

Might as well give Robert Lambert a go – he can’t do any worse!

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

If Lambert keeps scoring decent points for Lynn he may well get in on merit anyway. Would like to see he and Cook join Tai & Bomber personally but we shall see.

If Lambert keeps scoring decent points for Lynn he may well get in on merit anyway. Would like to see he and Cook join Tai & Bomber personally but we shall see.

At this moment in time, I'd use the same 4 as you personally. There may be one or two others who are marginally better than Lambert at the moment but only marginally but there is 0 doubt that Lambert will be there in the future and a bit of youthful exuberance may work better than past experience. Worked for the Dane brining in a few kids all them years ago! Look at them since! And when Sweden won the SWC in 03ish they had Ljung and Ruud in the team!

Wouldnt have Cook in my 4 riders especially if its at Lynn.

May use Cook in Poland if he shows he can go well there

• Like 1

The problem we have, of course, is that there is no GB speedway programme of which to speak.

Pretty much all of the top Danes are based in the UK, but we can't organise a single test match against them, let alone a three match series, to try and blood some of our youngsters without having to chuck them straight into a World Cup Semi Final / Final!

• Like 3