British Speedway Forum
HadrianDog

European Best Pairs

Searched for a topic, but non available, so here goes. Where are the brits in this? Yes I know the British speedway 'promoters' shun this event- but WHY? . These self centered morons are killing the sport in our country for totally vested interests. Not only are we deprived of the chance of watching Woofy and Bomber? flying our flag on the telly- important enough. The real problem here is they are stopping our riders gain experience against the top countries. Hell, they even scuppered the Aussies by Jason Doyle having to ride for Leicester. Whoopee! Go for it you promoters- kill the sport because you think you know better than the rest of the World.

Probably alreadt discussed on the best pairs thread.

agree with bspa not releasing riders if there is a clash, but disagree with absence of a british/englsnd pair.

Probably alreadt discussed on the best pairs thread.

agree with bspa not releasing riders if there is a clash, but disagree with absence of a british/englsnd pair.

Sorry, missed that thread, searching soon. But c'mon, surely Woofy and Bomber are a realistic team esp. with an up and coming ala. Cooky/Lawson/Worrall.R/even Lambert.R. in tow for experience?

• Like 1

Searched for a topic, but non available, so here goes. Where are the brits in this? Yes I know the British speedway 'promoters' shun this event- but WHY? . These self centered morons are killing the sport in our country for totally vested interests. Not only are we deprived of the chance of watching Woofy and Bomber? flying our flag on the telly- important enough. The real problem here is they are stopping our riders gain experience against the top countries. Hell, they even scuppered the Aussies by Jason Doyle having to ride for Leicester. Whoopee! Go for it you promoters- kill the sport because you think you know better than the rest of the World.

To be honest I don't much care, I've watched it because it's racing, but that's all. The fact that most pairs actually consist of three riders and might well be a different three in each round, makes it a Mickey Mouse event for me.

To be honest I don't much care, I've watched it because it's racing, but that's all. The fact that most pairs actually consist of three riders and might well be a different three in each round, makes it a Mickey Mouse event for me.

Always liked best pairs events and don't have a particular objection to 'best threesomes', but this is little more than a glorified series of open meetings.

We asked and about the sec ind. Bspa wont allow it, ACU would love brits in it.

It just goes to show that the fast track system isn't about helping British riders, but only about saving money. Why not send a couple out there? Even if they run last in every heat it's experience and track time.

Think the fast track riders would be a bit out of their depths. But Lambert, Howarth and Lawson could do well from the experience.

• Like 2

Think the fast track riders would be a bit out of their depths. But Lambert, Howarth and Lawson could do well from the experience.

Or Tai, Scott and one of the above, could alternate the above three for different meetings.

International Pairs with the top nations and the best 2 riders from each nation can provide great speedway. How can GB be excluded from a competition featuring Hancock, Sayfutdinov, Pedersen, Iversen, Hampel etc.?.

Beats me!.

International Pairs with the top nations and the best 2 riders from each nation can provide great speedway. How can GB be excluded from a competition featuring Hancock, Sayfutdinov, Pedersen, Iversen, Hampel etc.?.

Beats me!.

I saw some superb Pairs Meetings years ago. Peter Collins, Malcolm Simmons, Michael Lee and Dave Jessup to name just four of the many British Riders who graced the World Pairs Championship in past years.

So very, very sad.

Indeed - those were the days.

• Like 1

It is very short sighted of BSPA not to allow. The fast track system was about developing young British riders. This is an ideal opportunity to get them experience on the European circuits and that's where we brits always fall down. Have to agree with above comment, it seems more of a cost saving initiative now. Until the BSPA get the bigger picture nothing will ever change.

Tbh don't blame Tai for dipping out of the Elite League this year , why should an ambitious 'Brit' have an allegiance to the UK, they certainly won't help you become world champion which in turn if marketed correctly should be a boost to attendances up and down the country so help line their pockets...

Without any drastic changes to the way the sport is run in this country we'll rarely produce anything better than good second strings / 3rd heat leaders (King, Cook, Bridger, even Harris). Can never see us getting back to the heady days of the seventies with international quality riders everywhere (Collins, Lee, Jessup, Morton, Simmo etc, etc)

It is very short sighted of BSPA not to allow.

This particular competition is nothing more than a semi-official pre-season invitational tournament. It's not a European Championship, despite the title.

The fast track system was about developing young British riders.

This is an ideal opportunity to get them experience on the European circuits and that's where we brits always fall down. Have to agree with above comment, it seems more of a cost saving initiative now. Until the BSPA get the bigger picture nothing will ever change.

The fast track was always primarily about saving money, but why do not people not grasp that British speedway has to save money otherwise it'll be out of business? Even having a World Champion doesn't bring the fans in anymore - the British leagues used to have all the world champions, but crowds still dwindled.

Unfortunately, the sport is at such a low ebb now that it simply has to cut its cloth according to what's affordable, and not try to compete with leagues paying money they can't afford.

Whether or not we should be sending riders to get experience at privately run open meetings on the Continent is maybe another issue, but it would not be my priority.

• Like 2

This particular competition is nothing more than a semi-official pre-season invitational tournament. It's not a European Championship, despite the title.

The fast track was always primarily about saving money, but why do not people not grasp that British speedway has to save money otherwise it'll be out of business? Even having a World Champion doesn't bring the fans in anymore - the British leagues used to have all the world champions, but crowds still dwindled.

Unfortunately, the sport is at such a low ebb now that it simply has to cut its cloth according to what's affordable, and not try to compete with leagues paying money they can't afford.

Whether or not we should be sending riders to get experience at privately run open meetings on the Continent is maybe another issue, but it would not be my priority.

Well said. It is, after all, very easy to spend other people's money

Who cares? It's a LIVE broadcasted event to many many countries across de world... no better promotion for the sport I think. I can't believe the ACU/BSPA (whatever) is not allowing the Brits in... People now only get more the impression that speedway in the UK hardly exists because they are by the looks of it not even in the top 7 of the world (not all know the politics) ...

I still think it is disgusting the GB is not represented in this event. Problems can be worked around - if there is a will.

• Like 3