British Speedway Forum
Veterancub

The Death Of Amateur Speedway Meetings?

It appears that the S.C.B. Have now decided that in order to compete in an Amateur meeting EVERY rider has to be registered with the S.C.B. ( as listed on S.C.B. Website)

This apparently means EVERY rider has to hold a speedway licence issued by them ( current cost £88).

At my last amateur meeting only about 10 out of 46 held such a licence.

This is going to have a major impact on the running of such meetings.

Anybody got a different interpretation of this latest rule?

I'm hoping I've got this seriously wrong!

That certainly was my interpretation of the ruling which I received yesterday, but we will be contacting the SCB for clarification as many people ride on the SCB Day Licenses. Are they removing the ability for clubs to issue them to Amateur riders?

Edited by Official STR

The SCB seem determined to kill amateur speedway, what with the Iwade situation and now this.

If the use of day licences is removed then that is atrocious! Whilst the more seasoned campaigner will have a full licence as it works out slightly more financially viable those that just want a few spins per year wont and its these riders that make the meetings viable to run in the first place.

If this is the case I hope it is widely communicated. Can't think of anything worse than arriving at a track and being told you don't have the right piece of paper to race!

The SCB will soon find that they need us a lot more than we need them!!

It appears that the S.C.B. Have now decided that in order to compete in an Amateur meeting EVERY rider has to be registered with the S.C.B. ( as listed on S.C.B. Website)

This apparently means EVERY rider has to hold a speedway licence issued by them ( current cost £88).

At my last amateur meeting only about 10 out of 46 held such a licence.

This is going to have a major impact on the running of such meetings.

Anybody got a different interpretation of this latest rule?

I'm hoping I've got this seriously wrong!

Current cost £98 Kevin.

Speaking to a rider last night an amateur SCB licence is about £60....unfortunately you also require an ACU licence at about £35.

Meaning an amateur rider would need to complete 10 meetings to make it fully worth while compared to the previous day licences.

Sadly I really can see this being one cost to far for many.....

Has anyone got any update on this issue? I've had no response from the SCB but the ACU have confirmed it is £60 for a SCB permit and £38 for an ACU National Speedway licence which they say riders also require.

I was advised last year that a rider was limited to how many day licences he could have per year, after this they were obliged to get a SCB licence. Not sure if this was correct information or not?

Youth riders competing in the championship also have to have both the ACU licence and scb permit. £98 before turning a wheel! Way to encourage youngsters to compete

As it stands the S.C.B. Are still stating that a full race licence is required, although they are making noises about just requiring a 'day' licence, so they appear unsure of their own directive!

I notice that an Amatuer meeting is going ahead shortly but not sure how they are approaching this new ' law'.

The SCB will soon find that they need us a lot more than we need them!!

Don't hold your breath . the SCB have proven time and again they give new meaning to the word ,, Stupid