Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

For all the money in the world, I wouldn't want the life of Tai Woffinden.

He say's himself, he isn't the brightest button academically.

So he's found himself a way of making a very decent living from something he's good at.

I suggest anyone who's not see it, watch it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MoH6ayPbKo

It'll give you some idea of what he's been through in his life, how he copes with it, and the amount of hours he travels....and the very little sleep he gets.

As someone who has to fly a lot with work, I can't describe bad enough, how tiring, monotonous, and stressful this experience has become. Let alone all the driving on congested roads.

As a professional sportsman at the pinnacle of his career, you need to find ways of keeping to your optimum performance level.

I can totally understand why he's dropped riding in certain meetings over here.

Daft to suggest, that he should 'think of the fans' if he knows he won't be able to perform at the best of his ability.

He's found what works best for him...fair play to him.

I'd love someone to tweet him this thread...Who'd blame him, if he never rode in Britain again after reading it...it's cringe worthy.

Yea sounds like a hard life ..maybe he should take 16 weeks holiday in the winter in the sun ..

• Like 1

I understand Tai Woffinden has a lot of loyal followers on here. I get it, he is one of the best riders of the current era and a 2 time British World champ. For his fans on here, does he have a red line. If just for instance he decided to sit out a probable 3 meetings in next years World Cup to improve his World Championship prospects for the same reasons as he has missed the British Final (burn out) Would this change anyone's opinion ?

• Like 1

I understand Tai Woffinden has a lot of loyal followers on here. I get it, he is one of the best riders of the current era and a 2 time British World champ. For his fans on here, does he have a red line. If just for instance he decided to sit out a probable 3 meetings in next years World Cup to improve his World Championship prospects for the same reasons as he has missed the British Final (burn out) Would this change anyone's opinion ?

I'm neither a fan or a close follower of Tai.

Imo, certain people are missing the bigger picture...this isn't a reflection on Tai Woffenden...it could be any rider in his position. It's more a reflection of British Speedway.

All the problems that occur, can be traced back to why the majority of great riders are putting Poland and Sweden before the UK.

If this wasn't the case, Tai or whoever would probably be riding here and less abroad.

• Like 1

Ah, you mean refuse to represent his country a la Scott Nicholls and Lee Richardson?

I would agree his commitment to GB could then be questioned.

As it is now, he simply hasn't rode in an INDIVIDUAL meeting.

i.e. he has turned down the chance for INDIVIDUAL glory.. but will still represent his country for TEAM glory.

Interesting question and of course the 'red line' would vary from individual to individual so I suspect no consensus view would emerge. For me, broadly -- and of course the devil is in the detail -- not making himself available for World Cup selection would lower my esteem (not, rightly, that that should bother him one iota).

Ah, you mean refuse to represent his country a la Scott Nicholls and Lee Richardson?

I would agree his commitment to GB could then be questioned.

As it is now, he simply hasn't rode in an INDIVIDUAL meeting.

i.e. he has turned down the chance for INDIVIDUAL glory.. but will still represent his country for TEAM glory.

Maybe he is only riding for team gb because his main sponsor is sponsoring the World Cup otherwise he may of wanted to give other Brits a chance as he doesn't have any bikes here plus he is tired.

Maybe he is only riding for team gb because his main sponsor is sponsoring the World Cup otherwise he may of wanted to give other Brits a chance as he doesn't have any bikes here plus he is tired.

Even by the admittedly low standard of your posts that one smacks of desperation.

Even by the admittedly low standard of your posts that one smacks of desperation.

But it's a possibility that he may of pulled out of team gb had it not been the 2016 MONSTER Energy FIM Speedway World Cup final

How can he ride in the World Cup ..he got no bikes here ?

• Like 3

monster a bigger influence than the bspa

• Like 1

The foolishness of your question beggers belief.

You and others have a point when you can say you're not happy he didn't ride in the British Semi/Final.. but you do make a fool of yourselves when you come out with such nonsense as this.

monster a bigger influence than the bspa

Of course.. now I wonder why I can go to speedway meetings in the UK on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday during a week in August.. but I can't do it other weeks of the year..

Ah yes, that's because I'm on holiday that week and am in the country.

Edited by BWitcher

The foolishness of your question beggers belief.

You and others have a point when you can say you're not happy he didn't ride in the British Semi/Final.. but you do make a fool of yourselves when you come out with such nonsense as this.

Why ..we been told by his supporters that he can't ride in the semi finals as he has bikes based here ..so base on that he won't able to ride the World cup will he if that is the case . nothing foolish about that at all

Is there any possible difference between bringing bikes over when you have a gp the next day in another country versus bringing them over when you have a week with no other speedway?

But it's a possibility that he may of pulled out of team gb had it not been the 2016 MONSTER Energy FIM Speedway World Cup final

It's a possibility in the sense that I may possibly win the National Lottery on Saturday, Aston Villa may possibly win the Championship, FA Cup and Capital One Cup next season, Shergar may possibly win the Derby and one of your posts may possibly contain something sensible instead of being made up as you go on.
  • Like 2