Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

What is this "putting the money up"?

You agreed the 10k bet. Onus is now on Robert72 to declare who he is. Once that is done and it is accepted that he is a former rider, then the money becomes the issue.

Looked on the aussie immigration website.

Had tai applied to be a citizen when he was living there as a teenager I think he qualified.

Now though looks like he would need to live there for 4 years. Doesn't qualify via parents as they were not aussie citizens when he was born.

From what I can gather, you need to be over 16 and have been a resident for 4 years to apply. Tai moved away at 15.

It may be possible that his parents could have applied for citizenship at some point. I think they could possibly have included him in their own application if they did. But I've seen nothing to say anywhere that they or he became an Australian citizen, and he wouldn't have qualified any other way other than on their application.

He certainly couldn't have applied for it on his own.

You do not have to be born in a country to claim citizenship there.... My mate out here in Aus is a recent citizen and has lived in the country well under 10 years.

Can you not remember at the time he had a choice of representing GB or Aus.

His parents would no doubt of been citezens of Australia having both lived here well over a decade.

Happy to be proved wrong but having been through the Aussie immigration regulations myself in depth lately due to my own situation, i find it baffling how he cannot represent Australia given his circumstances

Your mate is, presumably, over 16.

They wouldn't have automatically become citizens just by living there 10 years, so it would depend if they applied for it or not. I know plenty of people who are resident in the UK but never needed to become citizens.

As he was under 16, as far as I can see, the only way he might have got it is if they had applied for it and included him at the same time. Whether or not this actually happened doesn't seem to be stated anywhere, and unless he or his mum confirms it I guess nobody knows for sure.

But living there from the age of 5 to 15 on its own wouldn't qualify him for citizenship.

Edited by grachan

What is this "putting the money up"?

You agreed the 10k bet. Onus is now on Robert72 to declare who he is. Once that is done and it is accepted that he is a former rider, then the money becomes the issue.

The money will never be given by these fools that's the problem, all talk.

127 pages and it's still going strong :)

The money will never be given by these fools that's the problem, all talk.

127 pages and it's still going strong :)

It must be the most attention you've ever experienced rob, now you can't stand the thought of it ending and you slipping back into obscurity. You harp on about 127 pages but you're the one who's dragging it out by refusing to back up your ridiculous claims that you lined up at the start with World Champions.

Sod the bet, sod the money, it's all talk anyway, just provide the necessary to back up your fantasies and we can all return to BSF normality. :unsure:

Come on rob, stop being a knob.

• Like 2

From what I can gather, you need to be over 16 and have been a resident for 4 years to apply. Tai moved away at 15.

It may be possible that his parents could have applied for citizenship at some point. I think they could possibly have included him in their own application if they did. But I've seen nothing to say anywhere that they or he became an Australian citizen, and he wouldn't have qualified any other way other than on their application.

He certainly couldn't have applied for it on his own.

Your mate is, presumably, over 16.

They wouldn't have automatically become citizens just by living there 10 years, so it would depend if they applied for it or not. I know plenty of people who are resident in the UK but never needed to become citizens.

As he was under 16, as far as I can see, the only way he might have got it is if they had applied for it and included him at the same time. Whether or not this actually happened doesn't seem to be stated anywhere, and unless he or his mum confirms it I guess nobody knows for sure.

But living there from the age of 5 to 15 on its own wouldn't qualify him for citizenship.

I would imagine when his parents lodged their citizenship applications, assumimg they did, Tai was included in that application.

Could be totally wrong.

I just remember the big debate on whether he would decide to go for the uk or Australia some years back after he turned 16, there wouldnt of been an option had he not been eligible for an Australian passport.

That could have just been people making presumptions though because he'd lived in Oz. Did Sue & Rob actually have citizenships? I've a mate who lives in Brisbane who's been out there 12 years. Her husband took his citizenship test last year as it helped with work apparently, but she's still classed as a Brit with a British passport as are their kids.

That could have just been people making presumptions though because he'd lived in Oz. Did Sue & Rob actually have citizenships? I've a mate who lives in Brisbane who's been out there 12 years. Her husband took his citizenship test last year as it helped with work apparently, but she's still classed as a Brit with a British passport as are their kids.

Yeah, I've often thought there have been assumptions made too.

Patricularly as I recall Tai himself said he was held up due to visa problems with the Australian GP last year. He wouldn't have needed a visa if he was a citizen, although, of course, it could have meant for some of his team rather than himself.

Maybe Daz can clear it up for us?

Im not in any way having a dig, im genuinely wondering what the circumstances are

• Like 1

How many riders over the years have took out a British passport but raced for Austrailia ?

How many riders over the years have took out a British passport but raced for Austrailia ?

Another meaningless question to deflect the pressure, you're really struggling now aren't you rob, give it up fella.

• Like 1

No idea. Why? Is there a point behind that question?

I would imagine Jason Crump had a British passport. He was, after all, entitled to one and rode his first season as a Brit I believe.

Off the top of my head just 1 I believe. Rory Schlein

• Like 1

I think Schlein's case was probably more to do with the fact that he'd settled here, had a British wife and kids in British schools. It's more likely he became a British citizen because of this, and not actually sure if he's raced in a team competition for Oz since.

OK The question is Should Tai ride for GB in the SWC because for whatever reason he isn't riding in UK league racing and didn't compete in the British Final

Some People agree that he shouldn't

Some People say he should

Some People Don't give a toss

End of discussion close thread !!!!

• Like 1