British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

Speedway, like most sports is an International affair. Sportsman compete where they can best further their careers, which in no way stops them being patriotic. Irrespective of where a sportsman plies his trade, if he is good enough for the National team he deserves to be picked.

• Like 2

Depends if he wants to, he doesn't care enough to race in our league after all .....

• Like 1

The last English team to win anything of any note? The England Rugby team. What are their rules on picking players not playing in England?

• Like 1

The last English team to win anything of any note? The England Rugby team. What are their rules on picking players not playing in England?

They don't have any rules.

However, their policy is not to pick players based in France as they aren't available for all the training days.. it isn't a hard and fast rule however and if someone was well above the level of the others, they would be selected.

As there aren't any 'training days' and Woffinden is head and shoulders above the rest that policy is irrelevant.

As for last team to win anything of note, I assume you mean the World Cup, when no such policy was in place....not only that, the hero of said World Cup was Johnny Wilkinson, who funnily enough was still picked for England even after he moved to the French League.

So, nice try but your argument falls down on every level.

So funny when someone compares football to speedway, LOL

The only funny post was your opening one.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Depends if he wants to, he doesn't care enough to race in our league after all .....

This is a very good point ...my view on Tai that has always been more of a aussie than a brit and has used the union jack to open more doors in speedway like getting wild cards for gp's ...Of course now he's got where he is he no longer needs any favours so I doubt he would care much about missing these events in fact I reckon he would be quite happy as he could have a holiday etc

• Like 3

Which Welsh League would that be. The one that doesn't even have the top Welsh teams?

I'd love to see Bale playing for the mighty Monmouth Town :D

Should British speedway turn its back on Tai riding for Team GB after he turned his back on British speedway this year.

I would like to see him left out of the pairs,the world cup and the British final until he puts British speedway first again.

Anyone else agree or do you think he should ride ?

Are you having a laugh ?

Absolutely yes, he is one of our four best riders and doesn't owe British Speedway anything. If he feels his career benefits from cutting out the UK then good luck to him.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 3

We can either have Tai as a top 5 rider in the World riding in the EL, or a World Champion and not riding in the EL. Which would you prefer? IMO, if it make him more successful then he has to drop the EL, sadly.

We can either have Tai as a top 5 rider in the World riding in the EL, or a World Champion and not riding in the EL. Which would you prefer? IMO, if it make him more successful then he has to drop the EL, sadly.

But he's already been a World Champion riding in the El ....it's not a given just because he never rides in the league that it's going to make him better or indeed give him a higher placing in the gp's

• Like 1

Seems like a bit of a stupid question to me , why wouldn't you select him ? He's our no 1 rider , just because he's chosen to take a season out of British League racing is no reason not to select him .

• Like 3

They don't have any rules.

However, their policy is not to pick players based in France as they aren't available for all the training days.. it isn't a hard and fast rule however and if someone was well above the level of the others, they would be selected.

As there aren't any 'training days' and Woffinden is head and shoulders above the rest that policy is irrelevant.

As for last team to win anything of note, I assume you mean the World Cup, when no such policy was in place....not only that, the hero of said World Cup was Johnny Wilkinson, who funnily enough was still picked for England even after he moved to the French League.

So, nice try but your argument falls down on every level.

The only funny post was your opening one.

As Blazeaway's comments usually do.