British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

Perhaps Australia won't pick Chris Holder and JasonDoyle cos they rideover here.

Think your find that they did their Aussie fixtures during our winter break.

When British fans are Not bothered that britains number 1 doesn't want to ride in Britain it sums up why the sport is the way it is lol

• Like 1

This is a very good point ...my view on Tai that has always been more of a aussie than a brit and has used the union jack to open more doors in speedway like getting wild cards for gp's ...Of course now he's got where he is he no longer needs any favours so I doubt he would care much about missing these events in fact I reckon he would be quite happy as he could have a holiday etc

Pretty much the same thoughts as me

Think your find that they did their Aussie fixtures during our winter break.

When British fans are Not bothered that britains number 1 doesn't want to ride in Britain it sums up why the sport is the way it is lol

Holder and Doyle rode in their National Championship. Likewise, Tai is riding in the semi-final at Kings Lynn for the chance to ride in the British Final, so your point is not really relevant.

I would much rather see the British No 1. ride in this country weekly but until the British leagues rival the Swedish and Polish leagues I can understand his decision to give Britain a miss.

Absolutely spot-on re Tai but how did Hancock and Crump kick british speedway?. Greg is an American based in Sweden. Jason is Australian and free to ride anywhere. Perhaps they are "adored" because they are both 3-time World Champions...not just "for some reason".

absolutely .can't blame Crump or Hancock they don't owe us a thing. they came here after spending a good few seasons as raw arsed kids learning to ride and being well paid for it In Poland .. why should they show any gratitude to British promoters or fans , they did they did exactly as they should and showed integrity by always giving their best to the country and fans that nurtured them . if we don't want to get kicked then it's time we took a chance on some Australians and Americans , stand by them while they learn and reap the benefits later on ..

Pretty much the same thoughts as me

+1 on that

The only people on here with any hint of suggestion we shouldn't be picking Tai are those with agendas.

Either they don't like Tai, they don't like Aussies or they don't like GP's.

In one case its likely all three.

• Like 1

absolutely .can't blame Crump or Hancock they don't owe us a thing. they came here after spending a good few seasons as raw arsed kids learning to ride and being well paid for it In Poland .. why should they show any gratitude to British promoters or fans , they did they did exactly as they should and showed integrity by always giving their best to the country and fans that nurtured them . if we don't want to get kicked then it's time we took a chance on some Australians and Americans , stand by them while they learn and reap the benefits later on ..

+1 on that

Why would you ride in Britain now? it is a hindrance more than anything we have to except that British speedway is bottom of the pile now.We used to be the envy of the world, apart Jerzy S and Muller who was an (exceptional rider) you had to ride BL to win a W.Championship..For me now some top riders will ride the odd month here when it suits them, to improve there revenue that is it a shame really but that is the reality.

Scott Nicholls chose not to ride in the EL one year, yet even now after he's decided never to ride for GB again (and with good reason why he won't) is still in some quarters being called for to be in the team.

Woffinden made a choice not to ride in a league so what, anyone that saw the documentary he did with Sky would see the type of strain not just Woffinden but all riders put on there own bodies and health to ride in all leagues. Maybe for what he was earning from the EL after expenses he realises it isn't worth it. He isn't the first and he won't be the last

• Like 2

Well Hancock and Crump, both adored for some reason by british supporters kicked British speedway while it was down but both got hero welcomes when they returned but an English boy, with English parents choses to earn a living abroad and all of a sudden he is questioned about whether on not he should be picked by GB...nonsense, he is our best rider by far, why wouldn't we pick him,

Both of them are not British so I really don't understand the link .....another way of looking at it is what riders from the main nations missed there own league while riding elsewhere ?

Both of them are not British so I really don't understand the link .....another way of looking at it is what riders from the main nations missed there own league while riding elsewhere ?

If we organised our leagues in the right way there wouldn't be the issue in the first place.

• Like 3

There is no higher honour in sport than representing your country, whether that is individual or the national team. The fact Nicholls doesn't want to ride for his national team is beyond me and the fact that some fans would rather have him over Tai who has promoted the sport in this country far more than Nicholls has ever done is ridiculous imo.

What on earth are you wittering about. There is absolutely no correlation between the two. Why should Tai making changes to his day job affect his affinity to his country.

Do the Danes, Poles and Swedes have to race in their country to maintain their licence?
  • Like 1

Both of them are not British so I really don't understand the link

Well not exactly true as crump was born in Britain and holds a British passport ;)

Do the Danes, Poles and Swedes have to race in their country to maintain their licence?

Freddie Lindgren refused to ride for Sweden last year and Gollob has quit riding for Poland/the SWC. No idea about the Danes but probably not. It's not your license that determines what country you ride for, you could have a German license but not be eligible for Germany anyway, like Robert Lambert.

Freddie Lindgren refused to ride for Sweden last year and Gollob has quit riding for Poland/the SWC. No idea about the Danes but probably not. It's not your license that determines what country you ride for, you could have a German license but not be eligible for Germany anyway, like Robert Lambert.

The question was do they race in there country ...had a look myself and both do .

Why would you ride in Britain now? it is a hindrance more than anything we have to except that British speedway is bottom of the pile now.We used to be the envy of the world, apart Jerzy S and Muller who was an (exceptional rider) you had to ride BL to win a W.Championship..For me now some top riders will ride the odd month here when it suits them, to improve there revenue that is it a shame really but that is the reality.

. Why ride here , I don't know , maybe we should ask . Kevin Doolan Cameron Woodward. Kozza Smith, Mark Lemon, Dave Watt .Josh Graszonech , Arthur Sissis, Jason Doyle ,Troy Batchelor, nick Morris ,Dakota North, Justin Sedgeman,Cameron Heeps or Alex davies ,, why they bother , why not just bypass us and go straight to Poland .?.or maybe you could answer Sidney

If we organised our leagues in the right way there wouldn't be the issue in the first place.

train the riders until they are of a decent standard . then dance to the tune of the leagues they choose to prioitise . that's what your saying isn't it

• Like 1